Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Netbook as removable movie player for kids

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1

    Netbook as removable movie player for kids

    I have a 6yo and a 3yo. The current portable DVD player is crap and the DVDs are easily scratched by little fingers. I was thinking of getting a netbook since it's a full package and there's lots of 12v adapters on the market. The real questions are how to mount it so it's easily removable (hotels, grandma's, etc.), a 2nd screen???, and what interface would be best suited for a 6yo with an IR/RF remote? It's just going to be loaded with movie rips of the DVDs that aren't total crap yet. I run linux as my desktop OS, so platform/interface choice is open. Boot speed is optional, just need ease of use.

    Thanks for any help,
    Traigo

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate tempgp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    663
    not 100% sure is this is right forum, but my Acer tablet PC has nice flip screen so u van use Cwbrtrafuse and load all kovues u want there. There are bags that would hold pc to your seats....

    HOWEVER: if you consider safry concerns any parts that are movable in the car present extrem danger in case of thye accident. in study by Volvo dvd player that was wirestrapped to headrest of the seat in case of the cash takes of and brakes through the seat... quite dangeroud if u look at the video... so i would persoally rather go with permament dvd mount in the car and convert your DVDs to DVix and carry them on USB Drive (maybe more expansive but safer)
    Automotive LED Headlight Module High Power VS HID NEW
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+ - Convert your native navi DVD unit to CarPC + Dash buttons are usable in car pc!!!
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin

  3. #3
    FLAC hexxamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by traigo View Post
    I have a 6yo and a 3yo. The current portable DVD player is crap and the DVDs are easily scratched by little fingers. I was thinking of getting a netbook since it's a full package and there's lots of 12v adapters on the market. The real questions are how to mount it so it's easily removable (hotels, grandma's, etc.), a 2nd screen???, and what interface would be best suited for a 6yo with an IR/RF remote? It's just going to be loaded with movie rips of the DVDs that aren't total crap yet. I run linux as my desktop OS, so platform/interface choice is open. Boot speed is optional, just need ease of use.

    Thanks for any help,
    Traigo
    This must be my day for responding to old posts. In any case...for any new visitors to this post. I use my EEEPC as my carPC and have it mounted under the passenger front car seat. It is still very mobile.. for example earlier this summer my fiance and I took a road trip and I was able to remove my eeepc from my car and use it in the hotel room by connecting it to a small pc-to-tv converter box so that we could watch some avi's. On the weekends I also take it inside my home and use it for streaming movies over wifi in the living room.

    I use Ubuntu and the media center I use is XBMC which I navigate with a Wii remote using bluetooth connectivity. See my worklog link located in my signature below.
    "Live Free!!!...It's all about Open Source"
    Current Proj:Android Mount in 2013 Altima
    Old Proj II
    Old Proj I
    YouTube:Project Videos
    Homepage: HexxWorld.net
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/hexxamillion

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1
    Hey guys pleasse help me out .
    I am thinking of buying a new netbook having elegant skin, Could anyone here please suggest me some websites providing good netbook skins?

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate tempgp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    663
    arjen20, i think you are in the wrong forum.
    This one is about CarPC and word "skin" here us used as GUI interface of program that is manageing your in car computer. =)
    Automotive LED Headlight Module High Power VS HID NEW
    Acura / Honda A/V CarPC Adapter GA-NET+ - Convert your native navi DVD unit to CarPC + Dash buttons are usable in car pc!!!
    Centrafuse Garmin Mobile PC Skin - GMPC Rebellium Skin

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2
    I looking for a smart Acer netbook skins is having all the qualities for which i m looking for, Is this website is really good in providing notebooks with elegant skins? I am going to buy a new netbook.

    Acer netbook skins

  7. #7
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    Quote Originally Posted by forlan2074 View Post
    I looking for a smart Acer netbook skins is having all the qualities for which i m looking for, Is this website is really good in providing notebooks with elegant skins? I am going to buy a new netbook.

    Acer netbook skins
    what? what skin are you talking about? you really just said that your looking for something your looking for...

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by arjen20 View Post
    Hey guys pleasse help me out .
    I am thinking of buying a new netbook having elegant skin, Could anyone here please suggest me some websites providing good netbook skins?
    I purchased my netbook 10" from Angle. may be you will find something you need www.happyshoppinglife.com

  9. #9
    Constant Bitrate BassBinDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    187
    For entertaining rugrats, a "media player" like the WD TV combined with either a small DVI monitor or normal car display could work. Load a heap of kid's movies onto a USB drive and there you go. There's 720p media players for under $50 that may not be home theater quality, but would be fine for car use. Some under $30 on eBay if you don't need HDMI or digital audio out.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1
    I am using this netbook (AO532h-2268: 160 GB, 1 GB) in a month and has exceeded my expectations. I expected more "traps". I can recommend safe and confident in similar applications.

    acer netbook skins

Similar Threads

  1. Cell Phone remote car starter
    By muldrick in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 09:57 AM
  2. Sprint Wireless Internet hack
    By antimatter in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: 10-31-2007, 03:33 PM
  3. House dvd player in the car & Innotek ebay screen? hmm
    By thesupe87 in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 11:30 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 11:07 PM
  5. rca is going to kick *** with this player ....
    By KING ZOMBIE in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2000, 07:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •