View Poll Results: What do you think

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • The future is in smart phones

    6 10.17%
  • The future is in carputers

    18 30.51%
  • My carputer causes me more trouble than fun, so my future is in my phone

    3 5.08%
  • I love my carputer and I dont care what the future holds...

    24 40.68%
  • The future is in tablets

    3 5.08%
  • Other - not listed above

    5 8.47%
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 181

Thread: What's the point to this carputer thing anyway...?

  1. #161
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by simplex View Post
    Well, if you fall into a river, you will die, even with windows down, you have to wait until the car is flooded.

    You can improve the PC's boot time, and my pc will power up when i unlock the car with the remote,
    so if I don't jump into the car after a bank robbery, it has plenty time to boot up.

    I would not buy a new car because I can't repair it because of the computer based stuff.
    I even hate the motor controller, no documentation about howto remap or change settings.
    But if I put my computer into the car, I will have the new car's features, and I can still repair
    it myself if something needs to be tuned.
    Many tests have found the waiting for the car to flood theory is incorrect. Yes the pressure will be huge against the doors, but you have a better chance to escape right away. After you sink, the pressure will still be uneven until you stay put for a while. If you wait until the pressure is equalized, you will die.

    Topgear even made Richard Hammond try it: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyx1E2s-tsE[/media]
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  2. #162
    Constant Bitrate simplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    Many tests have found the waiting for the car to flood theory is incorrect. Yes the pressure will be huge against the doors, but you have a better chance to escape right away. After you sink, the pressure will still be uneven until you stay put for a while. If you wait until the pressure is equalized, you will die.

    Topgear even made Richard Hammond try it: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyx1E2s-tsE[/media]
    As I said, you will die, as you not slowly sunk like Hammond, but crash into the water surface at high speeds,
    airbag will open, etc, so when you realize you are in trouble, the car is already underwater,
    and you can only open the doors when the pressure is equalized (and you will be dead then anyway).
    Yes, if you can open the door instantly like Hammond, you will survive, but in real situations,
    it just not possible, because of the shock. Not to mention your injuries after the crash,
    and the car will deform so much, that you can't open the doors.
    Check my worklog:
    Corsa + Atom + Gentoo Linux + 9" capacitive touchscreen

    Lord of the boards: DFI CP100-NRM

    "Or you can try Ubuntu, but than don't tell everyone you are using linux,
    because it's just a secret unreleased prebeta of Windows 3829" :P

  3. #163
    Newbie ARN1382's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by simplex View Post
    As I said, you will die, as you not slowly sunk like Hammond, but crash into the water surface at high speeds,
    airbag will open, etc, so when you realize you are in trouble, the car is already underwater,
    and you can only open the doors when the pressure is equalized (and you will be dead then anyway).
    Yes, if you can open the door instantly like Hammond, you will survive, but in real situations,
    it just not possible, because of the shock. Not to mention your injuries after the crash,
    and the car will deform so much, that you can't open the doors.
    Why are you all so fatalistic?
    It has an easy fix, lets add a fusionbrain or arduino with acelerometers and C4 and maybe moisture sensors so we make sure it works only on drawning cases, blow the car and *cough* save your life *cough*.
    REQUIRED HARDWARE [50%]
    CARPUTER INSTALLATION [0%]
    LCD IN DASH FRABRICATION [??%]

    Additional mods:
    KNIGHT RIDER LED MOD:[99%]
    Worklog Album

  4. #164
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,049
    Quote Originally Posted by ARN1382 View Post
    Why are you all so fatalistic?
    It has an easy fix, lets add a fusionbrain or arduino with acelerometers and C4 and maybe moisture sensors so we make sure it works only on drawning cases, blow the car and *cough* save your life *cough*.
    Or just dont drive into the water!
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  5. #165
    MySQL Error
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,266

    this IS ALL POINTLESS, ITS ALL OBSOLETE

    WHEN I GET MY MATTER TRANSPORTER GOING, should have it done in a few days more
    no more car, no more carpc...





    good thing i only read SOME of this thread... cant tell if its doom and gloom or how bright the future is... eh we all die in the end anyway

    -Thanks
    Mitch
    www.rush2112.net

    "Did you test it in carwings??"

    Sun, Come shine my way
    May healing waters bury all my pain
    Wind, Carry me home
    The fabric of reality is tearing apart
    The piece of me that died
    Will return To live again

  6. #166
    Newbie ARN1382's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    43
    New project
    CarPC with Windows 2012 Doom Edition!
    Buy it quick, you won´t last very much!

    P.D.
    sorry I could not avoid getting off topic
    REQUIRED HARDWARE [50%]
    CARPUTER INSTALLATION [0%]
    LCD IN DASH FRABRICATION [??%]

    Additional mods:
    KNIGHT RIDER LED MOD:[99%]
    Worklog Album

  7. #167
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by ARN1382 View Post
    New project
    CarPC with Windows 2012 Doom Edition!
    Buy it quick, you won´t last very much!

    P.D.
    sorry I could not avoid getting off topic

    i wonder what kind of bug updates that one would have :P

  8. #168
    High Voltage blk02si's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Motorcity
    Posts
    2,265
    Blog Entries
    1
    This topic gets beat to death every year it seams, and the final conclusion is that yes phones are great, but they are still hand held devices that cannot match the capability of the PC. My point here is I have an iPhone, and yes it's spectacular, but I would never replace my CarPC with it. It cannot hold 500Gb of media, it's not designed to be operated while driving, and it cannot run my audio system with the clarity and power I require. The PC however, can, provided it is built properly to with stand the automotive environment.

    So the point of this carputer thing (for me anyways) is to have a custom built system head, that is permanently installed in my vehicle, requiring little to no maintenance. It can provide hours of entertainment, tune local radio, navigate and push my amps, and does not require internet or monthly subscription fees to make it work.

    This is by all means just my point of view, but I've said it before and i'll say it again, a cell phone just cannot replace a custom built embedded system. If it could Ford, Chrysler, GM, Toyota, etc would all be selling their cars without nav units and with a cell phone holder.
    Build Things, it keeps your brain busy.

    AutoPC v1 (Retired) - AutoPC v2 (in progress) - www.shocknet.us

  9. #169
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by simplex View Post
    Well, if you fall into a river, you will die, even with windows down, you have to wait until the car is flooded.

    You can improve the PC's boot time, and my pc will power up when i unlock the car with the remote,
    so if I don't jump into the car after a bank robbery, it has plenty time to boot up.

    I would not buy a new car because I can't repair it because of the computer based stuff.
    I even hate the motor controller, no documentation about howto remap or change settings.
    But if I put my computer into the car, I will have the new car's features, and I can still repair
    it myself if something needs to be tuned.
    Well I would never drive into a river. My point is I just dont want to give the car tasks that the car can do on its own. Yea its cool to have central control and all, but I just dont like it.

    I agree with you on that. My truck is so easy to work on. On alot of these newer cars you cant even tell its a f*#king engine under the hood.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  10. #170
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by ARN1382 View Post
    New project
    CarPC with Windows 2012 Doom Edition!
    Buy it quick, you won´t last very much!

    P.D.
    sorry I could not avoid getting off topic
    Technically Win 7 would be the doom edition, because Microsoft seems to try to change its OSes every 4 years.

    You were drunk when you decided to write this werent you?
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

Similar Threads

  1. 2007 FX35 Carputer
    By RipplingHurst in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 02:08 AM
  2. Seperate monitor vs seperate carputer vs Dakota Digital.
    By stonestatue in forum Engine Management, OBD-II, Engine Diagnostics, etc.
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 01:48 PM
  3. Need Help Building Carputer....
    By deathklone in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 09:43 PM
  4. Car won't start after carputer install
    By UnsanePyro in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 05:44 PM
  5. Good time to buy carputer components?
    By Linus in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 09:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •