View Poll Results: What do you think

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • The future is in smart phones

    6 10.17%
  • The future is in carputers

    18 30.51%
  • My carputer causes me more trouble than fun, so my future is in my phone

    3 5.08%
  • I love my carputer and I dont care what the future holds...

    24 40.68%
  • The future is in tablets

    3 5.08%
  • Other - not listed above

    5 8.47%
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 181

Thread: What's the point to this carputer thing anyway...?

  1. #81
    Variable Bitrate mayhembdm666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    233
    My first car install cost me $300 AUD.
    $100 for the screen and $200 for the mainboard & psu.
    Add another say $29 for a prepaid internet USB.

    So after three months your phone setup is more expensive then my installation?
    Then we also have people doing car installs for less then $100 with parts laying around the house and using inverters they have or an old UPS.
    2004 Holden WL Caprice Auto GENIII
    Base System = Raspberry Pi
    Everything else is pending for now as switched from a Mini-ITX setup

  2. #82
    Constant Bitrate simplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
    All the reasons given cost a lot of money, SSD hard drives are not cheap (they may cost as much as or more than a smart phone alone), CarPC PSU's for a good one start about $100.00. Then if you complained about storage space on the SD card of your smart phone, tack on another $100 for large hard drive for your carpc.
    You can use an SD card as hard drive it you want.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
    "if you are getting in to the carpc hobby to save money, get out now while you can because it is not cheap".
    True.

    I think carPC will never die, but most of the DIY carPC community will disappear, as in the
    near future, almost all new cars will have an integrated carPC. Like, in 1978, ABS was a luxury,
    now, it's standard issue. No phone or home-built pc can compete with a PC designed with
    the car itself. You will be able to manage per-user settings for the whole car, like suspension,
    seat adjustment, etc, etc. Yes you can do the same with a bazillion of servos, and a DIY pc,
    but I will not worth the effort. But, some guys who can't afford the latest Mercedes S-Class
    will always try to add the bleeding-edge technology to their twenty year old pickup

    Ok, the phones will be stronger, but the PC will always outperform it, and they will not
    say: "ok, phones are fast enough for the GPS, disband the developer team, and throw out the plans of our new carPC".
    New features will come, and you will need beefier hardware for them.
    Navigation in 3D on the HUD, better audio processing, autopilot, and other tasks that we can't even imagine now.

    "Sky is the limit, ears, sky is the limit..."
    Check my worklog:
    Corsa + Atom + Gentoo Linux + 9" capacitive touchscreen

    Lord of the boards: DFI CP100-NRM

    "Or you can try Ubuntu, but than don't tell everyone you are using linux,
    because it's just a secret unreleased prebeta of Windows 3829" :P

  3. #83
    licensed to kill - FKA kev000
    Auto Apps:loading...
    tripzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    16.40618, 120.61106
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by fixinstuff View Post
    As I drive to work I get more and more frustrated with the computer and want to rip it out. Different popups or errors, slow boot time etc.
    Sounds like a software problem with how you set things up. You can even get XP to boot up in less than 30seconds on decent hardware. Also sounds like you need faster internets. Are XP updates really that big that it takes hours? seems unlikely to me with any decent bandwidth for an update to take hours.

    i invite anyone considering using a phone instead of a carpc to try out LinuxICE 2.0.1 when it comes out later this month. It's built with more of an "click install and be done" approach. It boots fast, runs fast, and does all the basics plus more than you can currently do with your phone. It's just like installing Android in your car except for it's built for the car and installation doesn't require Linux knowledge. You can also try LinuxICE 2.0 and follow the instructions for installation.

    I think it's silly to throw out your carpc just because configuring software is a pain, or slow, etc, without trying something as close to android on the carpc as your going to get (for now).
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

  4. #84
    Newbie ARN1382's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by simplex View Post
    You can use an SD card as hard drive it you want.
    True.
    I think carPC will never die, but most of the DIY carPC community will disappear, as in the
    near future, almost all new cars will have an integrated carPC.
    Agree. Will miss you mp3car.com 19xx-21xx

    In the end i believe that the post could be called: "I donīt need a CarPC, but some others do." but in fact the title it has made it the popular post of the week

    Cheers!
    REQUIRED HARDWARE [50%]
    CARPUTER INSTALLATION [0%]
    LCD IN DASH FRABRICATION [??%]

    Additional mods:
    KNIGHT RIDER LED MOD:[99%]
    Worklog Album

  5. #85
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    It's not like you could read a text message on your PC (or an email or IM) safely at 80mph, either.
    This is another area where law is stepping in to keep people safe from their own stupidity.

    I'm not going to say I'm above this, because I have read emails while driving, as well.
    I'm just saying it's not safe for anyone to read texts, emails, IMs, or anything but a roadsign while driving.
    My point was about text to speech....but I probably should have said that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne613 View Post
    Perhaps you should read further then. It's not politics, it's fact. And it relates plenty to the topic at hand. An arguement was given that phones unlike carpc's have another strike against them because they have current laws in effect against them. That's only momentary, and will change by the look of it quite quickly.

    Perhaps you should also read my first paragraph again before trying to slap me on the wrist.

    Thanks..
    There are still plenty of places where no driver distraction laws exist and yet manufacturers produce systems with various in motion lockouts. It comes down to their own asses on the line should some idiot watching a movie kill someone crossing the street. Even consumers could be liable for damages if they were accused of having a cell phone out while driving (aka distracted driving). So no this has nothing to do with "the nanny state" and everything to do with an out of control litigation system. Again, not the point of this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
    My main point to this thread is, if you have a smart phone it replaces all the needs mentioned above for a fraction of the cost. Service on my phone cost $90 month with unlimited android service with a family plan. The phone itself cost me $100.
    There is no decent carpc setup that costs anyone less than that. The idea that it is cheaper to install a carpc in your car than use your smart phone has been contradicted by everyone that has opposed the idea of using your smart phone instead of a carpc.
    Carpc developing has come a long way, but until it is marketable as an aftermarket device I don't think it is considered as good as everyone hopes it will be.
    In one year of you owning a cell phone with unlimited data you could have purchased the most expensive of carPC setups and still been saving money. Just because you couldn't put together something you were happy with doesn't mean the rest of the world can't. There are already dozens of aftermarket carpc's with varying levels of functionality. By 2012, they will be a standard option on over 90% of the vehicles sold in the U.S. but yea they must really be a useless idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by ARN1382 View Post
    Agree. Will miss you mp3car.com 19xx-21xx

    In the end i believe that the post could be called: "I donīt need a CarPC, but some others do." but in fact the title it has made it the popular post of the week
    Cheers!
    I think a better title would be "I couldn't figure out a carPC so their a stupid idea that should die"

  6. #86
    licensed to kill - FKA kev000
    Auto Apps:loading...
    tripzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    16.40618, 120.61106
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by justchat_1 View Post
    I think a better title would be "I couldn't figure out a carPC so their a stupid idea that should die"
    Don't be so harsh . ThunderStick has some real concerns that should be addressed. CarPCs are confusing, there are so many software and hardware choices. Configuring it is painful and takes a lot of time. It seems like we get into a cycle of tweak, try, break, retweak, rinse repeat. You are going to have some sort of issue whether it be a bad ground or some bad hardware, or just a lack of power. Sometimes, you get frustrated and want to throw it all away. The whole "It's a hobby" is a cop out IMHO. The carpc must become easier or we will be hearing this story a lot more in the future.

    This forum has 123,000 members. I'm willing to bet only a couple thousand are active members. That's probably a 2-5% retention rate, which sucks. Sure it's a hobby, sure it takes some time, but it doesn't have to take *that* much time to get it right. We need to be making it easier, not condemning the people who complain that it's too hard.

    justchat is right though, the carpc idea isn't going away. They are building x86 computers in cars right now. And they will be available in the next couple model years. Will they be running XP and CF? No, probably not. They'll have a built-for-their-hardware-and-their-car software that just works. It's coming. It's a good idea. It just takes a lot of time for you to DIY. We will improve, we will innovate, it just takes time.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

  7. #87
    Newbie ARN1382's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    43
    I have realized some things with this whole tread.

    INTEGRATION VS SIMPLICITY

    Simplicity = Good for Business and Average Joe.
    Integration = Hobbyst Holly Grail.

    I would like to start with the CarPC market here on Panama, but i believe we are not even reaching the "mobile phone level" so maybe you saved me from starting a doomed project
    REQUIRED HARDWARE [50%]
    CARPUTER INSTALLATION [0%]
    LCD IN DASH FRABRICATION [??%]

    Additional mods:
    KNIGHT RIDER LED MOD:[99%]
    Worklog Album

  8. #88
    licensed to kill - FKA kev000
    Auto Apps:loading...
    tripzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    16.40618, 120.61106
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by ARN1382 View Post
    I have realized some things with this whole tread.

    INTEGRATION VS SIMPLICITY

    Simplicity = Good for Business and Average Joe.
    Integration = Hobbyst Holly Grail.

    I would like to start with the CarPC market here on Panama, but i believe we are not even reaching the "mobile phone level" so maybe you saved me from starting a doomed project
    Oh, I wouldn't let anything in this thread stop you. If you are going to do the integration for people as a business, go for it. You yourself will want the simplicity from a certain system though. Especially if you will be offering support.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

  9. #89
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,557
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderStick View Post
    OK, I got it.
    Of course if you have the best of everything; your carputer will probably work pretty good. And of course if you have a windows embedded OS running on your carpc your OS will be pretty stable (how many of you are actually capable of this?). And of course if you shelled out the money for a wireless network card and wireless service for your carpc then yes your connectivity is pretty good. And yes if some how you tether your phone to your carpc you may be able to receive and dial calls.
    My main point to this thread is, if you have a smart phone it replaces all the needs mentioned above for a fraction of the cost. Service on my phone cost $90 month with unlimited android service with a family plan. The phone itself cost me $100.
    There is no decent carpc setup that costs anyone less than that. The idea that it is cheaper to install a carpc in your car than use your smart phone has been contradicted by everyone that has opposed the idea of using your smart phone instead of a carpc.
    All the reasons given cost a lot of money, SSD hard drives are not cheap (they may cost as much as or more than a smart phone alone), CarPC PSU's for a good one start about $100.00. Then if you complained about storage space on the SD card of your smart phone, tack on another $100 for large hard drive for your carpc. Oh yeah Over $500 for a sunlight readable screen or pick one out for about $200 that you can't see in the sunlight and then later decide to buy the one for $500 or more because your unreadable screen frustrates you. Your choice.
    Then let's try to make it look OEM. Unless your a good fabricator (most are not), prepare to shell out some serious doe to someone willing to hack up your car for you or to fix up your hack job that you did yourself.
    If you say time is money, develop your system and get one of those punch clocks and see how much time you tack on to just planning. Then figure that at your current pay rate from your job(if you have one). Is it money well spent. Maybe you consider it an entertainment value to spend thousands to reach a goal that very few have accomplished.
    It has been explained many times before "if you are getting in to the carpc hobby to save money, get out now while you can because it is not cheap".
    I am not detering anyone from developing, I think it is great. I am just making a point, cheaper is not the case when it comes to carpc's, easy is not the point, stability (able to use daily despite any condition) is the point but rarely gets there and a cost saving way to add media to your car (definitely not the point anymore, but this is why most started hance the name mp3car).
    Carpc developing has come a long way, but until it is marketable as an aftermarket device I don't think it is considered as good as everyone hopes it will be.
    Alot of this simply isnt true. You do not necessarily have to shell out lots of money to have a good system. I have met lots of people that have a decent price system and they have no problems. I dont know what they did different then you, but they have fully working installs and I haven't heard one complaint from them. You can most def go cheap, but you have to go cheap and good quality. If you order tons of no name China stuff, then you end up with junk. I think easily for about $400.00 you can buy a high quality budget system. That includes new screen, PSU, HDD, and Mobo and RAM.

    For the general PC user, no this hobby will most likely never work out for them. For people though that use a PC almost more then they take a breath of air, then its a different story. Let me tell you the story of my install.

    I originally found MP3car by accident and I was so interested in it. When I did finally decide to build my install, I didn't plan good, bought all this stuff I didn't need and wasted money. I think my first install was like $450.00. It consisted of a M10000 (so $h!++y), EBY701, 1 ghz Ram, USB card, DVD, GPS. The PC was so cr@ppy with what I wanted to do that out of the install none of it went into install 2. In fact alot of it I gave away or sold to members on here. Second install was better, was stable, but I couldn't figure out where I wanted it. Destroyed my passenger seat trying to mount it, had to have that fixed, and I had major over heating issues from the store bought case. Because of the heat, my setup became unstable. I then came up with install 3, which I built my own case (is also the cars new rear center console) of course I lost the middle seat, but I don't think I will ever have 7 people in my car. The case is awesome so far, but because I wanted a more per passenger experience, I changed all of my setup. Now I am on install four, but because of careful planning this time, I am saving money, and getting results I want.

    I am not a fabricator so I pay someone to do it. I wasnt so lucky to be talented with fiberglassing and what not. That being said, you just have to look for a nicely priced fabricator. I have Nexson (which does my fiberglass), then I have a guy down the street that does my upholstery (rear center console, rear PC cover in trunk).

    The HDD issue, I am not really sold on. I have been using normal 2.5 drives for god knows how long and only one has broke, and that was because I accidently touched it with a 12V wire that was hot. Other then that I have never had other issues. Also Ebay always has people that are selling them for cheaper. If you go for a Patriot Torque SSD, its not to expensive. In fact I consider it affordable. I am waiting just alittle longer for the price to drop, then I will get one for the OS. For media though, I will always use a HDD. They cost less, and in a cold climate, by teh time your PC is all booted up, the drive should be ready.

    So I guess in the end it all revolves around, Planning (without a plan its disaster and you will loose lots of money that way), Careful research and buying of products, and finally, patience.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  10. #90
    Newbie ARN1382's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by kev000 View Post
    Oh, I wouldn't let anything in this thread stop you. If you are going to do the integration for people as a business, go for it. You yourself will want the simplicity from a certain system though. Especially if you will be offering support.

    Thank you Kev, I was just kidding, but also paying attention because this post, it has received a lot of comments from ppl's priceless experience (sorry to be off topic).
    Dont worry I wont stop and I hope you will hear about me.

    Quote Originally Posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post
    So I guess in the end it all revolves around, Planning (without a plan its disaster and you will loose lots of money that way), Careful research and buying of products, and finally, patience.
    Totally agree, a good and responsible plan is as important as the whole skills to make it real.

    Whithout any flaming intention, maybe the mobile phone worked better for Thunder because his requirements and planning intentions were not as "excruciating" as others would be willing to bear.
    REQUIRED HARDWARE [50%]
    CARPUTER INSTALLATION [0%]
    LCD IN DASH FRABRICATION [??%]

    Additional mods:
    KNIGHT RIDER LED MOD:[99%]
    Worklog Album

Similar Threads

  1. 2007 FX35 Carputer
    By RipplingHurst in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 05-07-2012, 02:08 AM
  2. Seperate monitor vs seperate carputer vs Dakota Digital.
    By stonestatue in forum Engine Management, OBD-II, Engine Diagnostics, etc.
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-30-2010, 01:48 PM
  3. Need Help Building Carputer....
    By deathklone in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 09:43 PM
  4. Car won't start after carputer install
    By UnsanePyro in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-24-2005, 05:44 PM
  5. Good time to buy carputer components?
    By Linus in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 09:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •