Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Odroid, power and questions.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    50

    Odroid, power and questions.

    Had all the bits to finish this project for a while, so need to crack on with it.

    Got an Odroid, Chinatobby 10" screen, miniDSP+digi, and a hifimediy usb-spidif. Idea being digital from the odroid to the minidigi, into the dsp, use the 4 analogue for high and mids, whilst another digital out into another dac will do the lows for a 6 way active setup, hopefully. In theory alot cheaper than a bit one etc, and no a-d-a conversion.

    Hopefully got most of this worked out, except the power and charging.

    I think the DAC needs a 5v, had the screen running on a 5v 1A -240v plug, and the odroid from a 5v 2a plug. Both consumed 9watts at the plug, no peripherals or stress.

    I've had this new battery for a while from an old G62 laptop, its 10.8V at 47Wh. The battery has 8 pins. What would they be for? How could I tap into them? Could this work with a step down to various 5v supplies?

    What I want to achieve is to have a battery large enough so the odroid can be left on for a week or more if needed without touching the main battery.

    I've got an old car PC PSU that might work? Feed it from a motorbike battery or similar something similar?

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Mo' Programming Mo' Problems
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Sonicxtacy02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,166
    Blog Entries
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by chug1 View Post
    Had all the bits to finish this project for a while, so need to crack on with it.

    Got an Odroid, Chinatobby 10" screen, miniDSP+digi, and a hifimediy usb-spidif. Idea being digital from the odroid to the minidigi, into the dsp, use the 4 analogue for high and mids, whilst another digital out into another dac will do the lows for a 6 way active setup, hopefully. In theory alot cheaper than a bit one etc, and no a-d-a conversion.

    Hopefully got most of this worked out, except the power and charging.

    I think the DAC needs a 5v, had the screen running on a 5v 1A -240v plug, and the odroid from a 5v 2a plug. Both consumed 9watts at the plug, no peripherals or stress.

    I've had this new battery for a while from an old G62 laptop, its 10.8V at 47Wh. The battery has 8 pins. What would they be for? How could I tap into them? Could this work with a step down to various 5v supplies?

    What I want to achieve is to have a battery large enough so the odroid can be left on for a week or more if needed without touching the main battery.

    I've got an old car PC PSU that might work? Feed it from a motorbike battery or similar something similar?

    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Having gone through what you're trying to do with an ODROID and a 13000mAh 5v battery, I sincerely doubt you'll obtain more than a week on a laptop battery. You can use an m2-atx to power everything in your setup, or do like I did and use two DCDC-USB Intelligent DC-DC Converters. How do you plan on managing the screen power on/off with a single power supply? In my setup I have one converter powering the ODROID and the other powering the (12v) screen. The second converter is ignition triggered.

    I currently have a Kinetik HC800 power cell which keeps my ODROID in standby until the power supply detects a low current condition from the battery. At absolute BEST I get 3-4 days of standby. There are other factors other than the voltage of the device and the output of the battery that need to be factored. The power supplies efficiency, the amount of power it needs to perform stepdown, heat, it all adds up.

    Again, having the experience of the last year and change, I wouldn't worry TOO much how long the android board will last in standby. At best you'll return to your car and instantly have your audio turn on. At worst, it'll take 10-15 seconds to start from a cold boot and you'll have a system like most other OEM infotainment solutions out today.

    I'm looking forward to seeing how your project develops!
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Find my plugins on the MP3Car App Store!
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    50
    Thanks for the advice. This is the car PC power supply I have....

    Name:  110720146200.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  349.8 KB

    Name:  110720146188.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  309.7 KB

    Looks like it just needs power and earth to go to a/the battery.

    I also have an M3 atx if that is any better? Certainly smaller.

    I take it I can chop the motherboard molex and get all the 5 and 12volts I needed from there? Would it be ok to run the Odroid, Dac, Dsp, and powered USB hubs? I was hoping it'd run the screen, but you make a good point. The screen will need to be ignition based. Can't I just use a relay, fed by the remote feature on the unit below and still use the car pc power supply?

    I also have this, should I put this between the battery and the power supply, or power supply and mini dsp?

    http://www.minidsp.com/products/acce...inidc-isolator

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    50
    No idea what the power supply above is, probably quite old. The M3ATX looks like it might be a better job with the programmable timers etc?

    Trying to get my head around this. Probably better to separate the minidsp, and just run it from an ignition based relay via its own isolator/screen. Then another relay could run the screen. Possibly with power coming from the m3 atx power supply, relay cutting it in/out depending on ignition.

    Odriod can run from the m3 atx. Chop the plug, remove the unwanted pins/wires. Use the 5v's for the usb hubs, screen, sub dac, all relay'd? Could the 12v's feed the mini dsp? into the relay, then the isolator?

    Name:  20pin24pinconnectoroe2.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  26.4 KB

    How would I tell the Odroid ignition is off and to go into standby in x time if ignition is not returned?

    USB hubs, planning on having 2, one hidden in the center console between the seats, with a large usb stick for storage, bluetooth, bluetooth for a remote, and a mini usb for a phone charger, along with a spare pot or 2. Another in the rear with GPS, WIfi, and DVBT. Any reason why any of those can't share? What kind of time delay should I have on those?

    http://www.mini-itx.com/store/inform...ATX-manual.pdf

    If that works out, I just need to order some relay's and I could get it in there.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    50
    Apologies for all the posts, lets say I have the usb devices connected to ignition via a relay. Can I use tasker to put the odroid into standby when it senses say the gps or touchscreen is disonnected? Can this be done after x time?

  6. #6
    Mo' Programming Mo' Problems
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Sonicxtacy02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,166
    Blog Entries
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by chug1 View Post
    No idea what the power supply above is, probably quite old. The M3ATX looks like it might be a better job with the programmable timers etc?

    Trying to get my head around this. Probably better to separate the minidsp, and just run it from an ignition based relay via its own isolator/screen. Then another relay could run the screen. Possibly with power coming from the m3 atx power supply, relay cutting it in/out depending on ignition.

    Odriod can run from the m3 atx. Chop the plug, remove the unwanted pins/wires. Use the 5v's for the usb hubs, screen, sub dac, all relay'd? Could the 12v's feed the mini dsp? into the relay, then the isolator?

    Name:  20pin24pinconnectoroe2.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  26.4 KB

    How would I tell the Odroid ignition is off and to go into standby in x time if ignition is not returned?

    USB hubs, planning on having 2, one hidden in the center console between the seats, with a large usb stick for storage, bluetooth, bluetooth for a remote, and a mini usb for a phone charger, along with a spare pot or 2. Another in the rear with GPS, WIfi, and DVBT. Any reason why any of those can't share? What kind of time delay should I have on those?

    http://www.mini-itx.com/store/inform...ATX-manual.pdf

    If that works out, I just need to order some relay's and I could get it in there.
    I'm not sure if the m3 has enough juice to power the ODROID + accessories. I have one but i've honestly only used it during product reviews. I guess i could try it out. My initial concern would be the 5v rail not being adequate honestly.

    Quote Originally Posted by chug1 View Post
    Apologies for all the posts, lets say I have the usb devices connected to ignition via a relay. Can I use tasker to put the odroid into standby when it senses say the gps or touchscreen is disonnected? Can this be done after x time?
    Define "standby"? As far as I can tell without kernel editing there is no defined low power state for the ODROID. What I did do is use Tasker and SetCPU to underclock the cores when bluetooth disconnected (using TabletTalk as the trigger). You can manually select a speed, or use the built-in power profiles. As I recall, I manually set the clock speed to 400mhz at low power mode (anything less killed USB devices).
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Find my plugins on the MP3Car App Store!
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

  7. #7
    Mo' Programming Mo' Problems
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Sonicxtacy02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Woodbridge, VA
    Posts
    8,166
    Blog Entries
    52
    Just checked the m3-atx manual and it offers a max 6a on the 5v line. Considering the ODROID will top out at 4a with all cores going 100%, it should be fine. I think I'm gonna hook my ODROID up to mine tonight to see if it works. It would save me a TON of space compared to even one of the DC-DC converters.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Find my plugins on the MP3Car App Store!
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    50
    That should be ok, also the timer can be set to shutdown the 5v line at x time, which untill I get another battery in will do fine. Let me know how you get on with it.

    How do I wire it up? 5v and ground to the odroid. Then just a hard switch somewhere from pwr on and ground?

    In my list of usb devices, are there any that would need to stay on or cause problems if connected and disconnected all the time? I'm thinking split the power duties, have one hub fed from the m3 atx to be on all the time eventually. Then another from a converter on/off with ignition.

    Anyway I could find out the rating on that other supply? Can't see any model numbers, and only a Morex brand. If its a higher rating I'll use that to feed all the USB devices.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    50
    Had a look around, and found these claiming to give 8A, 10A Peak on the +5v... Does this first one need an adapter?

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-Pic...-/191107924737

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-12v-12...-/321096562530

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-ITX-1...-/121029111624

    Any of those could run the Odroid, screen, and all the usb devices. Maybe even the minidsp?

    Or this could be a cheaper option for screens/usb's?

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-12V-...item3f19bb6abf

    Struggling to find a 5v relay thats triggered by 12v too.
    Last edited by chug1; 07-15-2014 at 12:45 PM.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    50
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-DC-Conv...item337f100e72

    Found a 10amp unit. And twigged that the 12v from the psu could probably feed that. Which would in turn Could power both usb hubs and the screen.

    Says 4-6amps on the 12v line, taking 5, thats 60watts? at an efficiency of 96% conversion = 57.6watts available. 10amps at 5 watts is 50 watts. Leaving ample headroom, if my maths is correct?

    Leaving the ordroid, and probably just the dac I'd run straight from the odroid, unless it'd be better otherwise? Meaning the 5v line shouldn't get stressed, and the 12v line does the ancillaries.

    Also means I can just used a straight 12v relay fed into the 5v converter, rather than a 5v relay with a 12v trigger, which I can't seem to find.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-07-2014, 03:51 AM
  2. 2004 Ford Focus ZTS and Odroid U3
    By focused in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-16-2014, 07:28 AM
  3. What are my options for running raspberrypi/odroid 24/7?
    By Vadim Osovski in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2013, 11:06 PM
  4. a few power questions
    By pzhbfhr in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 02:32 PM
  5. PLEASE POST POWER QUESTIONS IN "POWER SUPPLY" FORUM
    By Aaron Cake in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2001, 04:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •