Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Here's how to bring a laptop out of standby

  1. #11
    Newbie nr000001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by n0irsmurf
    You say that some WRT54G routers aren't running it anymore. What about this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=84080

    Because I even work at OfficeMax and can get a discount on it. But if not then i'll just shop around for a GL.
    WRT54G v5 runs VxWorks's OS and has less memory than v4 or GL v1. I didn´t even bother to try if v5 could be used.
    Ne, jotka haluavat, keksivät keinot. Ne, jotka eivät halua, keksivät selitykset.

    *** http://www.powerdose.fi ***

    Weekend Warrior: Toyota Supra Turbo MkIV ( http://one.2hell.com )
    Daily Driver: Volvo V70 MkII T5

  2. #12
    Newbie nr000001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by NRGZ28
    It's way more complicated than soldering a wire to the power switch on the laptop's motherboard
    For some people the good old soldering method will propably be easier way, for me this was quite simple...
    Ne, jotka haluavat, keksivät keinot. Ne, jotka eivät halua, keksivät selitykset.

    *** http://www.powerdose.fi ***

    Weekend Warrior: Toyota Supra Turbo MkIV ( http://one.2hell.com )
    Daily Driver: Volvo V70 MkII T5

  3. #13
    Newbie nr000001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFury
    I would assume you would replace that MAC address with the MAC of your NIC in the laptop? I can't get it to work either way
    No I didn´t. Just fixed IP. Check your laptop WOL properties if you have already working router.
    Ne, jotka haluavat, keksivät keinot. Ne, jotka eivät halua, keksivät selitykset.

    *** http://www.powerdose.fi ***

    Weekend Warrior: Toyota Supra Turbo MkIV ( http://one.2hell.com )
    Daily Driver: Volvo V70 MkII T5

  4. #14
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFury
    I would assume you would replace that MAC address with the MAC of your NIC in the laptop? I can't get it to work either way
    It's been a while since I did this, but I'm pretty sure you have to put your own MAC address in there. The IP address is .255 which means it's broadcast to all the 192.168.1.xxx. Before I made this work with the router I used a little app on my PC that I downloaded to test the WOL of the laptop. I plugged a few parameters into a GUI and clicked a button and it sent the packets and woke up my laptop. Then I moved on to the router.

  5. #15
    Low Bitrate NickFury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Worcester MA
    Posts
    96
    I've got the laptop to come on through WOL, however, when I commit the command to 'startup' it is not working. How long are you guys leaving the router off to test this? I've left mine off for about 30 seconds and when I plug it back in, I get nothing. But when I telnet in and send the command, it works like a charm.

  6. #16
    Newbie nr000001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by NickFury
    ..., however, when I commit the command to 'startup' it is not working...
    Did you save the command as told or just committed it?
    Ne, jotka haluavat, keksivät keinot. Ne, jotka eivät halua, keksivät selitykset.

    *** http://www.powerdose.fi ***

    Weekend Warrior: Toyota Supra Turbo MkIV ( http://one.2hell.com )
    Daily Driver: Volvo V70 MkII T5

  7. #17
    Raw Wave god_of_cpu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    SilverSpring Maryland
    Posts
    2,960
    Wake on LAN is an extremely poor standard. Some laptops support it, others don't. If your just talking about waking up from standby, most will have some support for it, but they usually have to be activated in windows. If you goto the network card properties in device manager under the advanced tab, you should find wake up capabilities. It should be set. You may also have to set some property in the BIOS.

    Additionally, many laptops can be woken up from hibernate or from a completely powered off state. This is very much hit or miss how well it works between laptops though. On my dell laptop, WOL works great if you don't remove power to the laptop when its off, if you remove and restore power, it wont remember to wake up with the lan packet. On the other hand, my fujitsu lifebook works incredibly well, it will actually draws power from the network cable to listen for WOL and work even if the laptop is not plugged into the wall.
    StreetDeck.com Developer (I am Chuck)
    Get StreetDeck at http://www.streetdeck.com
    The Official StreetDeck Forums have moved, please visit us at http://www.streetdeck.com/forum for official support for Streetdeck.

  8. #18
    Newbie nr000001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by god_of_cpu
    Additionally, many laptops can be woken up from hibernate or from a completely powered off state. This is very much hit or miss how well it works between laptops though. On my dell laptop, WOL works great if you don't remove power to the laptop when its off, if you remove and restore power, it wont remember to wake up with the lan packet. On the other hand, my fujitsu lifebook works incredibly well, it will actually draws power from the network cable to listen for WOL and work even if the laptop is not plugged into the wall.
    This is true. Easy way to tell how laptop behaves when power is disconnected is to just open network properties (Windows), unplug and replug power cord and see what happens. At least this was how I checked the support.
    Ne, jotka haluavat, keksivät keinot. Ne, jotka eivät halua, keksivät selitykset.

    *** http://www.powerdose.fi ***

    Weekend Warrior: Toyota Supra Turbo MkIV ( http://one.2hell.com )
    Daily Driver: Volvo V70 MkII T5

  9. #19
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NH
    Posts
    616
    Ya, I would assume that it takes power to keep the lan card awake listening... I'm looking to keep minimal draw on my battery while in standby.

  10. #20
    Newbie nr000001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcdlrn
    Ya, I would assume that it takes power to keep the lan card awake listening...
    Good point. Next I´m going to try how long the battery will last (with my laptop) and if the laptop will still wake up when the battery is drained completely (in car the laptop will get DC power in startup) and if it still will remember to wake up.
    Ne, jotka haluavat, keksivät keinot. Ne, jotka eivät halua, keksivät selitykset.

    *** http://www.powerdose.fi ***

    Weekend Warrior: Toyota Supra Turbo MkIV ( http://one.2hell.com )
    Daily Driver: Volvo V70 MkII T5

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. why does my laptop turn on?
    By Efess in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-02-2007, 08:45 PM
  2. Bringing laptop out of Standby mode
    By timeshifter in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 10:18 AM
  3. No Sound, Laptop wont boot.
    By tjp12100 in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 06:39 AM
  4. Laptops, Standby and USB Power Idea
    By matthewtoney in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 10:38 PM
  5. Laptop for carputer project
    By airborne_cookie in forum Newbie
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 10:23 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •