Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 245

Thread: capacitive touchscreen with controller

  1. #101
    Constant Bitrate JayKaye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    192
    I sent a PM to truckinnines earlier and then realised that it would be more helpful if the answer gets posted to the public.

    PM is below:

    Hey mate,

    I read that you bought the 7" wide capacitive touchscreen.
    Id just like to know exactly what you bought and from where.

    From your posts it looks like you bought
    This: http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/...STEMS/7312256/
    and this: http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/...8-0003-3112-8/

    However, 7312256 looks like a controller (or cable?) for a 5-wire resistive touchscreen. Are you sure this is needed?
    Also, does the 98-0003-3112-8 come with a controller? or just the touchscreen?

    I have an older Lilliput 7" widescreen in my car at the moment with a metal double DIN housing I bought from bybyte.com over a year ago. Im thinking of getting this (http://www.bybyte.com/ABS-install.htm) one though and installing it with my existing lilliput and the new 7" capacitive touchscreen.

    Could you please recommend me the parts I need to buy that will fit in the double DIN frame?

    Lastly, I saw this part was mentioned also: http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/M...GrwJRTpHldJg==
    Is this needed for the install?

    Thanks for your help! If I get this up and running ill end up posting about it on the forums.
    If truckinnines gets back to me via PM I will post the response to this thread.

    Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
    DOS 6.22 - MPXF - 2x16 LCD - 6.4GB
    Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - Tank batt relay - 100GB
    Car PC v3 - 2008
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - 802.11g - FM/XM - OBDII - WWW

    [||||||||||||||----] 80% complete

  2. #102
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by JayKaye View Post
    I sent a PM to truckinnines earlier and then realised that it would be more helpful if the answer gets posted to the public.

    If truckinnines gets back to me via PM I will post the response to this thread.
    I can go ahead an answer this for you now, since I purchased the same product from the same store (there are two threads with much of the same information so I'm not sure if this is the one I posted the information to previously). The 98-0003-3112-8 is the capacitive touch screen, which comes with a controller. The controller uses a 5 pin molex to USB cable which is the 7312256 item which is why it is labeled under the Additional Components section. The cable is a requirement of course unless you can find the right 5 pin molex to make your own USB cable out of, mouser has them but the price isn't very efficient unless you are going bulk. The two items you listed will get you up and running. As for the metal double din kit, I don't know how that would work. I'm sure that it can be done, but I would be willing to say it would be quite difficult as metal is more rigid and abrasive than the plastic double din frame that I used myself. When all the modifications to the frame were done the very top and bottom of the touch panel sit flush with the top and bottom of the frame. It's not a problem with available touch area as the traces in the touch screen fit perfectly with the frame itself on three sides and only about 1/4 in showing on the other; not too distracting and there is no area that you should be able to touch that you can't albeit the extreme edges can be difficult because the contours of my sausage fingers like to touch more of the plastic frame, but some of my friends don't have the same problem. Another note too, the capacitive screen is larger horizontally as well so the hole meant for the IR sensor is useless. I myself used a 3 pin connector from an OLD CPU fan and the complimentary connector from an OLD motherboard to make a quick disconnect to the mounting area, one of those times being a packrat paid off.
    My friends see me putting a computer in my car and ask "Why?". I saw there was no computer in my car and asked "Why not?" - Ripoff of Robert Kennedy

  3. #103
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    46
    Also the controller is not a multi-touch controller. It seems to be the lower end of the series of controllers for the 3M capacitive touch screens. There was a guy selling the multi-touch controllers on ebay for about $30 refurbed. I wish I had jumped on it. I had a couple ideas I wanted to try out with it, but I was playing it safe and waited for the next paycheck, then had family stuff crop up that took my focus for a couple days, and now I'm having trouble tracking them down again.
    My friends see me putting a computer in my car and ask "Why?". I saw there was no computer in my car and asked "Why not?" - Ripoff of Robert Kennedy

  4. #104
    Maximum Bitrate tft_lcd_org's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddnezz View Post
    Also the controller is not a multi-touch controller. It seems to be the lower end of the series of controllers for the 3M capacitive touch screens. There was a guy selling the multi-touch controllers on ebay for about $30 refurbed. I wish I had jumped on it. I had a couple ideas I wanted to try out with it, but I was playing it safe and waited for the next paycheck, then had family stuff crop up that took my focus for a couple days, and now I'm having trouble tracking them down again.
    Using a multi touch controller won't change how the panel works. You need a Projected Capacitive touch screen to take advantage of true Multi Touch.

    The controller you have now will work with Win 7's "multi touch" features like Gestures, Etc. but will not work with more than 1 finger.

    The touch screen you have now is a Surface Capacitive.

    FYI: a stylus made for capacitive touch will work
    See THIS ebay item for an example.

  5. #105
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    corona ca
    Posts
    18
    thanks for the info on the stylus... it helps me alot

  6. #106
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    213
    Seems like I heard someone mention that the 7" 3M Capacitive touchscreen (98-0003-3112-8) would fit the ByByte double DIN ABS frame.

    I'm very surprised how it could even be possible since the vertical dimensions are bigger for the 3M part and should not match the Bybyte 2DIN kit...

    Or did I somehow misinterpret the whole thing?

  7. #107
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14
    "I sent a PM to truckinnines earlier and then realised that it would be more helpful if the answer gets posted to the public.

    PM is below:


    Quote:
    Hey mate,

    I read that you bought the 7" wide capacitive touchscreen.
    Id just like to know exactly what you bought and from where.

    From your posts it looks like you bought
    This: http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/...STEMS/7312256/
    and this: http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/...8-0003-3112-8/

    However, 7312256 looks like a controller (or cable?) for a 5-wire resistive touchscreen. Are you sure this is needed?
    Also, does the 98-0003-3112-8 come with a controller? or just the touchscreen?

    I have an older Lilliput 7" widescreen in my car at the moment with a metal double DIN housing I bought from bybyte.com over a year ago. Im thinking of getting this (http://www.bybyte.com/ABS-install.htm) one though and installing it with my existing lilliput and the new 7" capacitive touchscreen.

    Could you please recommend me the parts I need to buy that will fit in the double DIN frame?

    Lastly, I saw this part was mentioned also: http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/M...GrwJRTpHldJg==
    Is this needed for the install?

    Thanks for your help! If I get this up and running ill end up posting about it on the forums.

    If truckinnines gets back to me via PM I will post the response to this thread. "


    Hello all, sorry i haven't gotten back to you. I've been pretty busy. Reading through some of the recent posts, the clarity of the capacitive vs the resistive is night and day. It is an amazing improvement i must say. The response of the capacitive is not quite 'iphone like' but it is much more sensitive and you don't have to push SUPER hard like with the resisitive in order to get a repsonse..

    To answer the hardware question, 7312256 is necessary to connect the controller via USB. It is a 5 pin Molex to USB cable that plugs straight into the controller board from the 98-0003-3112-8 kit which DOES come with the controller board. If you want to fabricate your own USB to 5 pin Molex cable then by all means knock yourself out, although, i would prefer to pay 10 or 15 bucks and be done with it and have a nice clean product.

    I can't speak to whether or not this kit will fit the double din housing, but it can't imagine it wouldn't as it fit in my EBY701 housing. There will obviously be a need for some fabrication to make sure it fits properly but I would think you can get it installed.

  8. #108
    Maximum Bitrate tft_lcd_org's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalVampire View Post
    Seems like I heard someone mention that the 7" 3M Capacitive touchscreen (98-0003-3112-8) would fit the ByByte double DIN ABS frame.

    I'm very surprised how it could even be possible since the vertical dimensions are bigger for the 3M part and should not match the Bybyte 2DIN kit...

    Or did I somehow misinterpret the whole thing?
    You might have missed my post (#88) in this thread.

  9. #109
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
    You might have missed my post (#88) in this thread.
    OK. Thanks.
    Which capacitive touchscreen would you recommend to be use with the ByByte frame?
    Since you don't ship international, it's be good if you can mention the sources for the benefit of the community.

  10. #110
    Maximum Bitrate tft_lcd_org's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalVampire View Post
    OK. Thanks.
    Which capacitive touchscreen would you recommend to be use with the ByByte frame?
    Since you don't ship international, it's be good if you can mention the sources for the benefit of the community.
    Sorry, I'm not going to reveal "trade secrets"

    I do ship Intl. on a case by case basis. I limit the countries I ship to for security (and Paypal) reasons.

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: lilliput 7" touchscreen controller
    By Sonicxtacy02 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 08:29 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 08:57 PM
  3. FS: USB controller for a touchscreen panel
    By NoPistonPC in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 09:26 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2004, 01:56 PM
  5. FS: USB Touchscreen Controller card
    By sniz55 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 07:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •