Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Short Lilliput cable?

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate tibimakai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    San Pedro, USA
    Posts
    180

    Short Lilliput cable?

    I'm putting together an indash pc and the Lilliput's cable it's way to long.
    There is a way to shorten it?
    how it's connected the USB in the cable? it can be separated?

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate FPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    I'm putting together an indash pc and the Lilliput's cable it's way to long.
    There is a way to shorten it?
    how it's connected the USB in the cable? it can be separated?
    its a bit tricky because USB data lines goes on pin 8 TMDS Data0 Shield and pin 17 DDC/CEC Ground - they are grounded in a normal HDMI cable

    easiest way is to buy a cheap short USB and HDMI cable on ebay, then cut the plastic on monitor side from HDMI cable:
    - disconnect the ground wires from pin 8 and 17
    - connect these wires to other ground point
    - cut the connector on one side of USB cable and connect black to a ground point, leave red unconnected
    - connect USB's white and green to pin 8 and 17 (test it and swap if doesnt work, You cant make trouble with swapped lines)
    - cover the connector with hot glue gun to protect it from short circuit

    here is an example from my other project, ignore the connectet circuit, just for HDMI mod:

    "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
    Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate tft_lcd_org's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    I'm putting together an indash pc and the Lilliput's cable it's way to long.
    There is a way to shorten it?
    how it's connected the USB in the cable? it can be separated?
    What model Lilliput do you have?

  4. #4
    Constant Bitrate tibimakai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    San Pedro, USA
    Posts
    180
    Koszonom Peter a segitseget.
    thanks for the fast reply, but I should have mentioned that I will be using the VGA cable.
    I have the 669HB.

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate FPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    Koszonom Peter a segitseget.
    thanks for the fast reply, but I should have mentioned that I will be using the VGA cable.
    I have the 669HB.
    hehe, eddig nem is néztem a nevedet...
    "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
    Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate tibimakai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    San Pedro, USA
    Posts
    180
    it's ok to just cut the cable and resolder all the wires?

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate tibimakai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    San Pedro, USA
    Posts
    180
    anybody found that monitor connector somewhere?
    I have researched online but it looks like nobody found it yet.
    to me it looks like a D terminal connector with 14 pins, but I'm not sure if it's D1, D2, D3 or D4?
    it looks like they use it in Japan for HD.
    if I could get this connector, I could make my own cable.

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by FPeter View Post
    its a bit tricky because USB data lines goes on pin 8 TMDS Data0 Shield and pin 17 DDC/CEC Ground - they are grounded in a normal HDMI cable

    easiest way is to buy a cheap short USB and HDMI cable on ebay, then cut the plastic on monitor side from HDMI cable:
    - disconnect the ground wires from pin 8 and 17
    - connect these wires to other ground point
    - cut the connector on one side of USB cable and connect black to a ground point, leave red unconnected
    - connect USB's white and green to pin 8 and 17 (test it and swap if doesnt work, You cant make trouble with swapped lines)
    - cover the connector with hot glue gun to protect it from short circuit

    here is an example from my other project, ignore the connectet circuit, just for HDMI mod:


    This is perfect for what I am trying to accomplish. I have tried to connect my 669 HB model through the VGA USB touchscreen cable, but the only time that actually works is when I use VGA as the actual output, I can't use HDMI as video output and the VGA USB for the touchscreen.

    I am trying to attempt to solder this and it is a difficult task. I was wondering if you were able to figure out where the white and green wires are connected to exactly(8 or 17), you said to just switch them if unsure, I only have one shot at this so I was wondering if you could pass anymore knowledge on. The other question I had is what ground pin did you use? Did you use the main ground pin that is attached to the housing of the HDMI cable, or use a specific pin? Any info or diagrams I would truly appreciate. Thanks for your input and help!

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate FPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by pjsallday View Post
    This is perfect for what I am trying to accomplish. I have tried to connect my 669 HB model through the VGA USB touchscreen cable, but the only time that actually works is when I use VGA as the actual output, I can't use HDMI as video output and the VGA USB for the touchscreen.

    I am trying to attempt to solder this and it is a difficult task. I was wondering if you were able to figure out where the white and green wires are connected to exactly(8 or 17), you said to just switch them if unsure, I only have one shot at this so I was wondering if you could pass anymore knowledge on. The other question I had is what ground pin did you use? Did you use the main ground pin that is attached to the housing of the HDMI cable, or use a specific pin? Any info or diagrams I would truly appreciate. Thanks for your input and help!
    now i have changed this cable to a simple untouched, 90-degree cable because my new G41 motherboard's integrated X4500 drives it very well via HDMI without any up/downscaling, its picture is perfect. i made some other modification on the PCB inside the monitor for USB touchscreen: 2 PCB-wire goes to the VGA and HDMI connector from the controller area - there is 2 0-Ohm SMD resistor on them - i have desoldered these resistors and wired the touchscreen to an external USB cable. so the controller and the HDMI/VGA connectors are separated now...

    regarding to the 8/17 pins: i will try to find my notes about it, might be documented somewhere... but gives no any error if they are swapped - only not detected by windows, or gives "unknown device" message...
    "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
    Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Similar Threads

  1. SKS Cable Extension for Lilliput Monitor
    By kbento in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 07:45 PM
  2. lilliput ribbon cable questions.
    By chuckdoesitall in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 02:18 PM
  3. Lilliput 9pin mini-din USB VGA cable
    By Pale Rider in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 12:54 PM
  4. Lilliput video cable extension?
    By Arathranar in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 03:14 AM
  5. Lilliput Cable Extension
    By djXternal in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 07:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •