Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: after a screen that does everything

  1. #1
    NeX
    NeX is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    51

    after a screen that does everything

    hello everyone,

    i am after the screen to end all screens but does such a screen exist?

    first of all i want a screen the supports full HD, 1080p which also means it needs a DVI/HDMI input

    secondly the screen needs to be fully quasi sunlight readable

    touchscreen as well, i have been looking at infared touchscreens that look great as they don't decrease the brightness of the screen, but a 4 or 5 wire resistive touchscreen is ok as long as it is optically bonded.

    also support a rear view camera input that auto switches,

    Low power LED backlight, i am planning to run the screen off the computer's power supply

    lastly 10" in size.


    does anyone know if such a thing exists? i have found what seems to be what i want in 7" though it doesn't actually say if it is true 1080p and i don't think it is quasi sunlight readable, which is here: http://www.mo-co-so.com/ProductDetai...B-RCI&CartID=1

    and then there is a 10.4" screen on AvionicLCDs which isn't full 1080p only 720p, and doesn't come with an optically bonded touchscreen, and doesn't have a reverse camera trigger which is here:http://www.avionicslcd.com/10.4_LCD/...cs_display.htm

    so is there anything that is a blend of the two?

    thanks guys

  2. #2
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    i don't really understand the need for 1080 resolution.. most of the time, it is unusable in-car.. i really don't believe you will be able to tell a difference between a 1080 resolution image, or lower res. with anything smaller then at least a 20" screen.

    you will also need to take into account the way that any FE you use will display. at that resolution setting, it might not be fully supported, and could result in a interface that is dangerous to use in-car.

    infrared is a horrible solution for in-car use-- the sunlight will mess with it, and at certain times, will render the display useless..(the suns warming rays are partly composed of infrared, so many times the display will have trouble understanding if it is seeing it's own infrared signal, or the suns signal)

    at this time, the only options i know of in-car for touch is capacitive, or resistive.(though lilliput is about to release a SAW screen[7"], and there are also projected-capacitive-touch screens, though i haven't seen those in-car)

    at this time, this might be your best option..(are you ready to pay almost a $1000 for a screen?)


    another thing to keep in mind is that you could look into building your own screen/controller combo-- there is a link somewhere in this lcd section about using laptop screens, and a company that offers controllers for them. you might be able to use that as a solution

  3. #3
    NeX
    NeX is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    i don't really understand the need for 1080 resolution.. most of the time, it is unusable in-car.. i really don't believe you will be able to tell a difference between a 1080 resolution image, or lower res. with anything smaller then at least a 20" screen.

    you will also need to take into account the way that any FE you use will display. at that resolution setting, it might not be fully supported, and could result in a interface that is dangerous to use in-car.

    infrared is a horrible solution for in-car use-- the sunlight will mess with it, and at certain times, will render the display useless..(the suns warming rays are partly composed of infrared, so many times the display will have trouble understanding if it is seeing it's own infrared signal, or the suns signal)

    at this time, the only options i know of in-car for touch is capacitive, or resistive.(though lilliput is about to release a SAW screen[7"], and there are also projected-capacitive-touch screens, though i haven't seen those in-car)

    at this time, this might be your best option..(are you ready to pay almost a $1000 for a screen?)


    another thing to keep in mind is that you could look into building your own screen/controller combo-- there is a link somewhere in this lcd section about using laptop screens, and a company that offers controllers for them. you might be able to use that as a solution
    thanks very much for your reply,

    the reason for the 1080 is more out of principle, i have a lot of bluray disks which i would like to watch in the car, the computer came with DVI, so i thought that having almost full HD and then not having a HD screen is a bit of a waste.

    i am not sure what you mean by FE?

    i did wonder if infrared would be effected by sunlight, i thought it might be but its good to know.

    i used to work with projective capacitive touch screens and i didn't like them very much, they have tiny copper wires accross the screen which does get annoying, and they are really bad for accuracy.

    thanks for the link, that is an amazingly expensive screen (and you have to pay extra if you want the touch screen optically bonded!) its a nice screen but still doesn't have everything. i am actually starting to lean towards the 7" screens now just because they are almost exactly what i want.

    thats an interesting idea about building my own screen, i built a 12" touch screen for my last project using a touchscreen i bought off ebay and a 12" laptop screen and a driver i had lying around (at work lol) but it was horrible in the sunlight. but i suppose technology has moved on since then.

    are there services that will optically bond the touchscreen? or is that something that can be done at home with the right stuff?

  4. #4
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,949
    Quote Originally Posted by NeX View Post
    thanks very much for your reply,

    the reason for the 1080 is more out of principle, i have a lot of bluray disks which i would like to watch in the car, the computer came with DVI, so i thought that having almost full HD and then not having a HD screen is a bit of a waste.
    You thought wrong.
    You're not going to tel the difference between 1080 & 720 on a 10" screen (or smaller).
    Lilliput makes a 7" screen w/ HDMI input just for marketing. People see HDMI and think it's better, but on a screen that small, there's really no visual difference.


    i am not sure what you mean by FE?
    Front End

    i did wonder if infrared would be effected by sunlight, i thought it might be but its good to know.
    Yes.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  5. #5
    NeX
    NeX is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by DarquePervert View Post
    You thought wrong.
    You're not going to tel the difference between 1080 & 720 on a 10" screen (or smaller).
    Lilliput makes a 7" screen w/ HDMI input just for marketing. People see HDMI and think it's better, but on a screen that small, there's really no visual difference.



    Front End


    Yes.
    fair enough, if there really is no difference then i suppose that makes finding a screen easier,

    i will be writing my own front end, so i will write it to suit the screen,

    thanks

  6. #6
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by NeX View Post
    i will be writing my own front end, so i will write it to suit the screen
    Okay, if you want to do that, have at it. But, since you don't know what an FE is, I'd suggest you check out a couple before deciding to reinvent the wheel. Look at RideRunner, the leading free FE, look at OpenMobile, an open source, free FE that is in development, and check out Centrafuse, a paid application that is full featured as well.

    You might also look at the auto app mart to see what other types of FE's and software are out there, if you haven't already (the link is at the top of the screen there).
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  7. #7
    NeX
    NeX is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
    Okay, if you want to do that, have at it. But, since you don't know what an FE is, I'd suggest you check out a couple before deciding to reinvent the wheel. Look at RideRunner, the leading free FE, look at OpenMobile, an open source, free FE that is in development, and check out Centrafuse, a paid application that is full featured as well.

    You might also look at the auto app mart to see what other types of FE's and software are out there, if you haven't already (the link is at the top of the screen there).
    i just didn't know what FE stood for, and yea there are some very good front ends out there, i think i will be using the RideRunner until my one is done. the problem is that i want a lot of custom things that i dont think these pre built programs will support, such as the relay boards i will be using and linking to my iPhone. the computer will be intergrated into all the car's systems, like the heater controls and lights etc. but maybe you are right i will give them all a proper look through, maybe they can be modified to suit my needs if they are not perfect already.

    thanks for the pointers it would really save me a lot of effort if these existing front ends will do what i want

  8. #8
    Variable Bitrate hailrazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia
    Posts
    366
    Yes as mentioned on a 10" screen you won't notice much of a difference between 720p and 1080p.

    I bought a 1024x768 10.4" for my Yukon. I had an 800x600 10.4" before that. And I was running Blu-Ray on it. And yes there was a noticeable difference between the two. 1024x768 was much sharper and detailed. But moving up from there to 1080p would have made very little difference.

    So for a 10" screen I think 1024x768 is pretty much the highest resolution you would need for good detail.

  9. #9
    NeX
    NeX is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by hailrazer View Post
    Yes as mentioned on a 10" screen you won't notice much of a difference between 720p and 1080p.

    I bought a 1024x768 10.4" for my Yukon. I had an 800x600 10.4" before that. And I was running Blu-Ray on it. And yes there was a noticeable difference between the two. 1024x768 was much sharper and detailed. But moving up from there to 1080p would have made very little difference.

    So for a 10" screen I think 1024x768 is pretty much the highest resolution you would need for good detail.
    thanks for that, have you tried a 10" 1080p screen yet? it would be interesting to hear just how little difference there is. i can understand that it wont be much, and above 800X600 is all that really matters for HD, but side by side pics or something would be nice to see.

    anyway its great to get this input, i am feeling much more confident about going for a lower resolution screen and still have good quality

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate FPeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by NeX View Post
    the reason for the 1080 is more out of principle, i have a lot of bluray disks which i would like to watch in the car, the computer came with DVI, so i thought that having almost full HD and then not having a HD screen is a bit of a waste.
    native resolution of LCD is much lower, normally its 1024*600 in 10" wide size, so the picture should be downscaled to this resolution. GPU based scaling gives much better picture than any of LCD controller boards, so its better to run the LCD in its native resolution and give the scaling task to the player software in fullscreen mode

    my tip for the monitor is the Liliput FA1011 - fulfills all of the required needs above, except the transreflective panel - but i use it for more than 2 months and i have no complaint, the 250nit/500:1 cr gives good picture all the day, and its only 230$ (ebay) !

    i think the "HDMI/DVI is not required in this size" is a false tip! VGA with good quality cable and proper powering gives good picture, but not the best! You can see the difference for example when the alternator has high load...
    "case": Skoda Superb Elegance 1.8T
    Asrock G41MH-GE, E2180 2GHz dualcore, 1024MB DDR2/800, Samsung F1 750GB/7200RPM/32MB, M4-ATX, Lilliput FA1011 HDMI touchscreen, ASUS Xonar DG PCI, homemade Quectel L10 USB GPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 03:14 PM
  2. Constantly removing the screen 7" lilliput advice
    By steveb in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-17-2007, 10:56 AM
  3. FAQ: LCD Technologies
    By dontpntpool in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 12:20 AM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 02:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •