Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Is transflective worth the extra??

  1. #21
    Maximum Bitrate tft_lcd_org's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by AhSoul View Post
    Hmm that would be fantastic but is it silver or black? It's a bit hard to tell from those photos. I also notice it says no international shipping, and I'm in the UK

    It is black, and I will ship to the UK.
    PM me.

  2. #22
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    164
    Transreflective screens are quite amazing. Even my non-transreflective 450nit Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T/5HB is unreadable in direct sunlight. This is pretty rare, but it does happen.

    However, the price for them is just too ridiculous. I just cant justify spending $600 for a 7" touch screen. Compare that to what else you buy with similar money and its just insane. My $200 non-transreflective screen is already overpriced IMO, you can buy a whole laptop for less than that.

    Someday maybe these screens will become more mainstream so vendors won't be able to rip us off so much.. just because they can.

  3. #23
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithoss View Post
    Even my non-transreflective 450nit Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T/5HB is unreadable in direct sunlight. This is pretty rare, but it does happen.
    Hi. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that most of those screens are readable in direct sunlight, but occasionally some aren't? Surely they would all be the same....

  4. #24
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by AhSoul View Post
    Hi. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that most of those screens are readable in direct sunlight, but occasionally some aren't? Surely they would all be the same....
    Sorry, dont want to confuse you.

    Unless you have a "trans-reflective" screen like has been discussed in lots in this thread, you wont be able to read the screen in direct sunlight. Im talking clear sunshine directly on the screen, not glare. For me, this is only when the sun is setting and im driving away from the sunset so that the sun has a clear shot through by back window onto the screen. Otherwise, it very rarely directly hits the screen.

    I went from a 300nit to a 450nit screen and that helped a lot with glare and indirect sunlight, but not for direct (wasn't expecting it to fix direct sunlight). Its now readable in all situations except direct sunlight. Before it was a bit difficult, for example, if my wife was wearing white, the glare would make it near unreadable.

    My main point the price for transreflective screens is too prohibitive for me. The amount of time i have to deal with direct sunlight is fairly small, so saving $400 was a no brainer for me.

  5. #25
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    27
    From what I've seen of the non-transflectives they also suffer quite badly from reflections as well. My screen is going to be up on top of my dash, so I'm going to see the reflection of the windows on the other side of the car pretty much all the time. I'm quite worried about not being able to see due to that, as well as direct sunlight.

  6. #26
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by AhSoul View Post
    From what I've seen of the non-transflectives they also suffer quite badly from reflections as well. My screen is going to be up on top of my dash, so I'm going to see the reflection of the windows on the other side of the car pretty much all the time. I'm quite worried about not being able to see due to that, as well as direct sunlight.
    Yeah if you're mounting that on the dash, you might have a case. mine is nicely shielded in my center console. The $600 hurts though

  7. #27
    Maximum Bitrate tft_lcd_org's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithoss View Post
    Someday maybe these screens will become more mainstream so vendors won't be able to rip us off so much.. just because they can.
    Don't blame the vendors. If you knew how much it really costs me to have a panel bonded, and transflective film work done, you would see what little margin there is.

  8. #28
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
    Don't blame the vendors. If you knew how much it really costs me to have a panel bonded, and transflective film work done, you would see what little margin there is.
    True, apologies. I meant manufacturers.

  9. #29
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithoss View Post
    True, apologies. I meant manufacturers.
    your backing your self against a wall now... this is cause-and-effect.. do you really think that monitor manufacturers would prefer to sell screens at $300 then $50? they could much more easily overtake the market at a lower per-screen price-point...

    the manufacturers need to charge so much because there is not much of a market. not much market means that they need to buy parts in smaller quantities, smaller quantities means that they pay more for every part. and they are not just going to eat this cost, and neither are any of the the sellers like tft_lcd_org, mo-co-so, or mp3car. so that means it gets passed to the end-user--us...

    if everyone wants cheaper monitors, they need to increase the demand so manufacturers can get cheaper parts, and have larger product runs.. if that can't be done, the prices won't change...



    AhSoul: with your current predicament, you might be better off talking to tft_lcd_org, or thatonlykid about getting high-brightness screen with a anti-glare coating then to get a full transflective screen.


    from my experience with my 629, if you have a hard top car, the reflections are greatly minimized, and tinted windows would also help block some of the glare.. my biggest problem was always when the top was retracted..

    but you can always work around that by using high-contrast images-- like in my car, i use white lettering on a black background to make it easier to read even on a poor screen in direct light..



    ps: you see how much i am going back and forth within my own posts in this thread on the subject of getting a transflective? that is what i have been doing in my head for the last 3 years

  10. #30
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    your backing your self against a wall now... this is cause-and-effect.. do you really think that monitor manufacturers would prefer to sell screens at $300 then $50? they could much more easily overtake the market at a lower per-screen price-point...

    the manufacturers need to charge so much because there is not much of a market. not much market means that they need to buy parts in smaller quantities, smaller quantities means that they pay more for every part. and they are not just going to eat this cost, and neither are any of the the sellers like tft_lcd_org, mo-co-so, or mp3car. so that means it gets passed to the end-user--us...
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithoss View Post
    Someday maybe these screens will become more mainstream so vendors won't be able to rip us off so much.. just because they can.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NEC 8.4" Transflective Solution - Custom Kit
    By thermoptic in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 12:02 AM
  2. Transflective vs non-transflective comparisons?
    By fiXXXerMet in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-28-2009, 08:55 AM
  3. Transflective + WRX Bolt-In
    By infomage in forum MP3Car Products - store.mp3car.com
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-24-2008, 12:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •