alrighty, received my screen today and after a bit of a play i have to say i am fairly impressed!
windows 8 running on an intel i3 3225 (3.3ghz, intel HD4000 integrated graphics) on an asus P8Z77-I deluxe works veeeeery nicely. using a 250gb samsung SSD for my 'everything' drive.
the intel drivers for this chipset let me set the 800x480 res straight away, at 75Hz it looks perfect. windows 8 detected the touchscreen straight away, all it needed was a minor calibration. nice and responsive to touch!
the side button board is the correct orientation, to understand the program change the language to the 2nd line, then press the right button to save. thats english :p
i set the buttons to:
b) open centrafuse (using kb shortcut),
c) show desktop,
e) volume up,
f) volume down.
all works fine in windows and is fairly responsive.
card reader and usb port are recognised correctly, only minor flaw is the blanking plates for either dont fit too nicely - the SD one wont click in properly and the usb one is a tad loose.
still need to get the AUX port functional, but that will require a usb soundcard i think. will have to have a think about that one, and pick up a usb hub for the front of the car.
thought I'd also give a basic review of the unit. Derrick was great to deal with and very helpful, I went outside of eBay for the sale and saved $10, it was packed amazingly well and turned up in less than a week (from HK to Australia). I purchased the bare HDMI unit for housing in a flip-up dash housing (where a Chinese GPS of similar screen size used to fit, I gutted this and mounted the LCD inside with some tweaking).
- The LCD quality is good for 800 x 480, it seems to default to 12xx x 7xx resolution on my Mac Mini and Mini ITX-based system. I'm still trialling the resolutions but this seems fine with Centrafuse running full screen.
- Direct sunlight viewing is adequate, and better than you'd think for the price.
- Touch screen is accurate and Windows 7 and OS X pick it up without drivers.
- For my purpose, the HDMI connector is mounted in an annoying position, pointing up on the PCB. All the other cables are directed downwards via cables. I can't use the HDMI connector (even with right angle adapter) as it won't fit in the housing. By default though, VGA gives me more resolution choices than HDMI on both OS X and Windows.
- The thin PCB that houses several buttons for brightness/meno options etc I couldn't use, so ended up resoldering the IR connector and doing away with it completely. It's not needed as the IR remove does all the same functions, and everything is saved on power off.
- Tape down all the ribbon cables etc. to avoid them from being pulled or damaged when you work on the LCD.
- The ribbon cable that connects to the VGA connector is extremely fragile, the solder connectors broke without too much effort on mine. I ended up resoldering the ribbon connector onto a dedicated VGA cable that plugs directly into my PC.
- I can't get the "dimming" wire to do anything, it checks out fine and it tapped into the illumination line on my car stereo but nothing happens. Did anyone get it to work?
I just received this touchscreen with the full enclosure with the HDMI port. Excuse my ignorance, but how are you guys powering these DC in the vehicles? are they a direct 12v power connection? which pin is ground and which is possitive. I got no instructions or pinouts with mine so i am a bit lost. I do have the DXATX PS.
actually just plugged up a 12 volt 2 watt ac adapter and it works, so i bought a connector at Radio Shack and will just tie into my cigaret lighter since its already fused there.
You can run it off your 12v rail on the dsatx if thats the PS you ended up buying.. SNO
so just the black (ground) and yellow (positive 12v) from the four pronged connector for fans and IDE hard drives?
Mine is running off the secondary +12V rail of a Carnetix P1900 power supply. I was experiencing some noise on the LCD with the VGA cable mounted near the power cable, so routed both in different locations and it's rock solid now.
Any one using the dimming wire? :)
So wanna get one of these.
I slapped on a Nexu 7 anit-glare screen protector then installed it into my dash piece.
Im hoping to actually install in the vehicle on Memorial Day Weekend.