Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Found two LCD panels, $1000+ each. Specs worth the price tag? Looking for advice

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    27

    Question Found two LCD panels, $1000+ each. Specs worth the price tag? Looking for advice

    Edited: Nov 24, 2011

    Found two more Lcds that I could work with:

    10.4" highbrightness 1300 nit LCD kit w/LED backlight (bulk w/video controller & inverter), 1024 x 768 res 600:1 ., VGA and DVI input 12Watts Operating Temperature -20 to +70 C, **Open Frame kit without Rear housing** (Model: LOPH1040-Kit-LED) ~$1200 with AR Glass Bonding

    Link to this Lcd's datasheet (.pdf)


    10.4" High Brightness 1550 nits LCD kit Module (Model: LOPH1040-Kit-Com) ~$1100 with AR Glass Bonding

    Link to very detailed datasheet for this Lcd, that I got from somewhere else (.pdf)

    I cut out a shape out of cardboard using the physical dimensions to see how it would look in my dash. And it looks like it could work. Plus I have the option for glass bonded touch panel. (don't know how much that'll add to the dimensions)

    So I need your opinion again guys. what do you think of these? good viewing angels?

    Thanks





    ---------------------Old post-----------------------------------------------------------

    hey guys, it been a while and i'm still deciding on which lcd to get for my car.
    The main things i'm looking for are: (in order)
    Size: 9-10inch preferably wide screen touch screen
    High resolution
    Brightness: 400+
    Viewing angle: 176deg hori/verti or better (i saw one user on this forum who had a comparison shot of avionicslcd screen and other one. The avionicslcd screen had the best viewing angel hands down
    Hdmi/dvi for sure plus component or vga

    So i found this one at avionicslcd. It's about $638 + $189 for touch screen plus shipping

    Link for lcd: http://www.avionicslcd.com/10.4_LCD_...cs_display.htm

    Link for touch addon: http://www.avionicslcd.com/10.4_LCD_...uch_screen.htm

    So can i find a better screen or equally good screen at a good price?

    Thanks
    Last edited by Rickys; 11-25-2011 at 01:08 AM.

  2. #2
    FLAC SNOtwistR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Keswick,On Canada
    Posts
    1,606
    Here is a link to a 9" I bought recently thats pretty good but alot cheaper, only 170 then I looked at the one you are thinking about and its out of the league. Anyhow here is the link to this other one http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...olesalers.html SNO

  3. #3
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    part of it is personal affordability. i went through 2 different screens before finally dishing out the money for a expensive sunlight readable display, and kind of wish that i had just bought one in the first place instead of wasting my money on the other cheaper, but less bright screens. but my finances are in better condition now then they were when i first started the carpc project.

    i have seen that display come up here before, and the price is usually a sticky point, though i think it is fair to say that it is one of the best screens available in that size category.

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate hailrazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia
    Posts
    366
    The problem is going to be with the touchscreen add-on.

    Since you won't be able to optically bond it to the screen , it will have a lot of glare and be milky white in appearance.

    It will then nullify the majority of the "sunlight readability" of the 10.4" screen.

    The 10.4" screen by itself though isa great screen with great sunlight readability.

    EDIT * By the way if you want one of these screens I have the same model except with ccfl's instead of led's that I would sell for $350.
    Last edited by hailrazer; 11-05-2011 at 07:11 AM.

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate tft_lcd_org's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    i have seen that display come up here before, and the price is usually a sticky point, though i think it is fair to say that it is one of the best screens available in that size category.
    Not really. That's like saying a new Malibu is the best car in it''s category just because it came up a few times before. That LCD is good, but the controller used is cheap, and the entire display is waaaaay over priced.
    Not to mention a 190.00 for the Resistive touch kit? Really? about 65.00 on ebay for that.

    If you look hard enough you can buy that LCD for less than 300, spend 50 on a controller and 150.00 on an IR touch kit.

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate tft_lcd_org's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by hailrazer View Post
    The problem is going to be with the touchscreen add-on.

    Since you won't be able to optically bond it to the screen , it will have a lot of glare and be milky white in appearance.

    It will then nullify the majority of the "sunlight readability" of the 10.4" screen.

    The 10.4" screen by itself though isa great screen with great sunlight readability.

    EDIT * By the way if you want one of these screens I have the same model except with ccfl's instead of led's that I would sell for $350.
    Why can't he buy the LCD & touch kit and have it bonded? Aside from any possible warranty issues, there is nothing stopping him from doing that.

    The CCFL version is not the same as the LED. They are two completely different LCD panels. The LED version is much better based on the posted specs.

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate hailrazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia
    Posts
    366
    Of course he can have the touchscreen optically bonded. I never said he couldn't. It is just a bit expensive to do for just one panel.

    And you're right about the Led and CCFL panels being different. I was looking at last years LED panel that replaced the one I have. Sorry.

    And wouldn't he have to buy the Lcd for $300, buy a controller, have it programmed, have an led driver board made , and then have it shipped from China to him. It all starts to add up. Before long you have spent $600.

    It was also my understanding when I talked to the tech at AvionicsLcd that the stock lcd's were not that bright. Usually around 240-360 nit and that they increased brightness on the lcd's they sold. But that was a few years ago.
    Last edited by hailrazer; 11-05-2011 at 04:14 PM.

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate tft_lcd_org's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by hailrazer View Post
    Of course he can have the touchscreen optically bonded. I never said he couldn't. It is just a bit expensive to do for just one panel.

    And you're right about the Led and CCFL panels being different. I was looking at last years LED panel that replaced the one I have. Sorry.

    And wouldn't he have to buy the Lcd for $300, buy a controller, have it programmed, have an led driver board made , and then have it shipped from China to him. It all starts to add up. Before long you have spent $600.

    It was also my understanding when I talked to the tech at AvionicsLcd that the stock lcd's were not that bright. Usually around 240-360 nit and that they increased brightness on the lcd's they sold. But that was a few years ago.

    Actually, you did say he couldn't have it bonded:
    Quote Originally Posted by hailrazer View Post
    Since you won't be able to optically bond it to the screen


    I can say with certainty that you could build a 1400 nit, LED, optically bonded 10.4" XGA res. display w/DVI & VGA inputs, and use an ELO touch screen for less than 200.00.

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate hailrazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbus, Georgia
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
    Actually, you did say he couldn't have it bonded:
    Yes I said "he" couldn't. It is not something that can be done DIY with any acceptable results.

    Quote Originally Posted by tft_lcd_org View Post
    I can say with certainty that you could build a 1400 nit, LED, optically bonded 10.4" XGA res. display w/DVI & VGA inputs, and use an ELO touch screen for less than 200.00.
    But will it be a screen with 90 degree viewing angle, with Wide Viewing Angle TFT Technology , with Fringe Field Switching Technology?

    If not it won't be sunlight viewable and have good off angle viewing which is the whole selling point of the screens that AvionicsLcd sell. That's why they are used in aircraft and aircraft simulators.
    Also AvionicsLcd does not use anything but Grade A panels. Are yours going to be Grade A or B?

    If you can get all of the above for $200, then why aren't you doing it and selling it ?

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate tft_lcd_org's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by hailrazer View Post
    Yes I said "he" couldn't. It is not something that can be done DIY with any acceptable results.



    But will it be a screen with 90 degree viewing angle, with Wide Viewing Angle TFT Technology , with Fringe Field Switching Technology?

    If not it won't be sunlight viewable and have good off angle viewing which is the whole selling point of the screens that AvionicsLcd sell. That's why they are used in aircraft and aircraft simulators.
    Also AvionicsLcd does not use anything but Grade A panels. Are yours going to be Grade A or B?

    If you can get all of the above for $200, then why aren't you doing it and selling it ?
    Right, bonding is not a DIY project, but if someone wants to spend the $$, it can be done.

    My panels are A grade, no BS 2nd rate, or used, refurb'd, etc.

    Viewing angles on the 10.4" is 80/80/80/80

    I have built and sold about a dozen of the 10.4 and handful of 8.4", 1000 nit VGA res. unit. Problem is, not many buyers want a non wide screen panel. In fact the last two 10.4" units I built sat on a shelf for 6 months before they sold.
    No reason to keep them in stock if they don't sell.

    Here is a link to the 8.4" version: LINK

    I will build to order.

    (FYI, the last person who bought the 8.4" put it in his canard wing to replace a Lilliput EBY701)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
  2. Audio specs advice needed, fuse/wire size, etc
    By chris_h in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 11:31 PM
  3. are xenarc/lilliput vga's worth the price?
    By black13 in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 10:46 PM
  4. is the brightness module worth the price?
    By jnusaira in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 04:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •