Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Hud

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Valley City, Utah, United States
    Posts
    16

    Hud

    Okay, big question time. Who's experimented with HUDs? What projectors work, which don't? How many lumens do I need to see during the day? How much glare is there? How did you mount/focus the thing? Any suggestions on which projector to get?

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    VegasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    596
    This is what Pioneer is using:
    http://www.microvision.com/pico_proj...ols/index.html

    I saw several other demos with something similar.

    VegasGuy

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Valley City, Utah, United States
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasGuy View Post
    This is what Pioneer is using:
    http://www.microvision.com/pico_proj...ols/index.html

    I saw several other demos with something similar.

    VegasGuy
    That looks great! do you know if its bright enough to run during the day?
    It looks like something I'd like to have in my pocket, anyway. That's an awesome find. Thanks.

  4. #4
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    ^ almost bought one to play with, though the reviews of a similar product on newegg stopped me:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824264003

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    VegasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    ^ almost bought one to play with, though the reviews of a similar product on newegg stopped me:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824264003
    I'm actaully working with Microvision on a custom HUD project for a customer and they're sending us a couple of their automotive-grade projectors, so I'll get to see how they are. From what I saw this year at the Pioneer display and a couple of others, it "looked" pretty darn good, even in very bright direct light (If you saw any shots of the Audi booth, it was like standing on the surface of the sun it was so friggin' "white"). But of course, nothing inside the convention center is going to produce the kind of glare you get outdoors, so time will tell. The projection angles and distance, and the type of film you use will play a big role too. Is it "doable" and will it be usable? Sure, without a doubt. But will it be practical and packaged in a manner that can be used in something other than an OEM or VERY expensive custom job? I don't know.

    VegasGuy

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    West Valley City, Utah, United States
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasGuy View Post
    I'm actaully working with Microvision on a custom HUD project for a customer and they're sending us a couple of their automotive-grade projectors, so I'll get to see how they are. From what I saw this year at the Pioneer display and a couple of others, it "looked" pretty darn good, even in very bright direct light (If you saw any shots of the Audi booth, it was like standing on the surface of the sun it was so friggin' "white"). But of course, nothing inside the convention center is going to produce the kind of glare you get outdoors, so time will tell. The projection angles and distance, and the type of film you use will play a big role too. Is it "doable" and will it be usable? Sure, without a doubt. But will it be practical and packaged in a manner that can be used in something other than an OEM or VERY expensive custom job? I don't know.

    VegasGuy
    Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely look into it. If you get word of a product designed specifically for auto HUD, make it known

  7. #7
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    actually, i wanted to retrofit 2 of those units into my headlights, for something to play with.. it's just that the output is so poor, i wouldn't be able to get a decent beam pattern at a appropriate distance out of them...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •