Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: Let's see how a $600 transflective LCD stacks up against a $200 BlackBerry PlayBook..

  1. #21
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    725
    In the first two shots of my last post, it appears as if mine works almost as well as yours when the sun/camera angles line up like they do in your shots.

    When the screens are flooded with light they both perform well, but when the light is at an angle where it is reflected back into the camera or eyes it's impossible to see anything through the blinding reflection.

    I think it's just a difference in installation.

    In my car there is a ton of light and many opportunities for the light to reflect directly off the screen. You don't have an oversized sunroof to contend with.

  2. #22
    92x
    92x is offline
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    6
    I bought this

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SAMSUNG-...item19c3d93020

    works perfect and is affordable. I would say it is just as readable as that playbook

  3. #23
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    117
    Oh well, screens are a real problem with Car PCs. I spent hundreds of dollars already and have not found the perfect one. I dont care about resistive or capacitive, but even then its seemingly impossible to find a proper one. The one I use right now from a German manufacturer is extremely good at sunlight (even direct sunlight from above - convertible), but at night it is far, far too bright, even at lowest settings.

    As if that wasnt a big enough problem, its also a PITA to find proper drivers or at least DTD values for those screens, if you use an Intel GPU and want to use the native resolution.

    I always shed a tear when I see higher resolution screens in smartphones, where the whole smartphone is cheaper than the best Car PC screen you can get, while also having vast superior picture quality.
    Right now I am even willing to pay up to $1500 for a 7" Car PC touchscreen that works good at direct sunlight, wont burn out your retina at night (and will adjust automatically to night and daylight of course) and has proper drivers.

  4. #24
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NH
    Posts
    616
    I'm sorta with you. That screen's problem can be fixed though. You just need to create your own dimming circuit. Probably it only modifies the LCD's settings not the actual back light brightness.

    I understand what you are saying about smartphones, but keep in mind 2 things. Smart phones are subsidized and are closer in price to $500 - $700+ without a subsidy from a phone company. Also, they sell millions of them so the price goes down per device manufactured.

  5. #25
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    117
    I have no clue about electronics, so I dont know how to do that, and I also dont know if its even possible on my model. However, I am pretty sure the actual backlighting is dimmed on my screen. If I hold my hand over the sensor, it dims instanly and turns back to normal when taking it off again.
    How can I find out if it would be possible to dim it more?

  6. #26
    North of the land of Hey Huns
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcdlrn View Post
    I'm sorta with you. That screen's problem can be fixed though. You just need to create your own dimming circuit. Probably it only modifies the LCD's settings not the actual back light brightness.

    I understand what you are saying about smartphones, but keep in mind 2 things. Smart phones are subsidized and are closer in price to $500 - $700+ without a subsidy from a phone company. Also, they sell millions of them so the price goes down per device manufactured.
    The playbook is not nearly that price though, and I doubt they're selling nearly as many as they do phones. Granted the whole price vs qty point still applies, since they sell exponentially more than the carpc monitor market buys. Doesn't make it any less annoying. I wonder if any of these super-bright tablets use LVDS or similarly compatible screens, so a controller could potentially be sourced to use them. $150 controller + $200 playbook == way cheaper and way better than any screen any of these vendors sell.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

  7. #27
    Maximum Bitrate
    Auto Apps:loading...
    VegasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    607
    Quote Originally Posted by malcom2073 View Post
    The playbook is not nearly that price though, and I doubt they're selling nearly as many as they do phones. Granted the whole price vs qty point still applies, since they sell exponentially more than the carpc monitor market buys. Doesn't make it any less annoying. I wonder if any of these super-bright tablets use LVDS or similarly compatible screens, so a controller could potentially be sourced to use them. $150 controller + $200 playbook == way cheaper and way better than any screen any of these vendors sell.
    Unless you know how to wire that all up and make it work in your car, you'll have to pay somebody to do it for you. So at $350 for parts plus labor and profit, you're not going to be a LOT less expensive that what's already available. Plus, if anything goes bad, you've got a one-of-a-kind hybrid that you have to go source parts for in order to repair. As with all things DIY, you wind up trading time and effort for money. Folks always seem to underestimate what their time and effort is worth. a $400 project that takes 2 weeks (80 hours) to complete isn't necessarily a bargin in your time is more valuable than $5 an hour.

    Just my thoughts.....

    VegasGuy

  8. #28
    North of the land of Hey Huns
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westminster, MD
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasGuy View Post
    Unless you know how to wire that all up and make it work in your car, you'll have to pay somebody to do it for you. So at $350 for parts plus labor and profit, you're not going to be a LOT less expensive that what's already available. Plus, if anything goes bad, you've got a one-of-a-kind hybrid that you have to go source parts for in order to repair. As with all things DIY, you wind up trading time and effort for money. Folks always seem to underestimate what their time and effort is worth. a $400 project that takes 2 weeks (80 hours) to complete isn't necessarily a bargin in your time is more valuable than $5 an hour.

    Just my thoughts.....

    VegasGuy

    True, I always look at things like this as me doing it myself, since I'm good at it. Plus, any screen I buy I have to take apart down to the panel and embed in my dash anyway, so it really is a matter of to each their own.

    To be honest though, I think the difference in quality would make it worth it. The playbook for instance is WAY more visible than the transflective screen. It just blows it away. You get what you pay for, and if you have to pay time vs money to get something that good, then so be it. If something is unavailable otherwise, it makes it invaluable.
    "stop with the REINSTALLS, what do you think we got some lame-o installer!!!" - mitchjs
    RevFE
    My Shop

  9. #29
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NH
    Posts
    616
    Oh, if it has a sensor it likely is adjusting the actual backlight. Unfortunately it definitely sounds like that project would be over your head.

    I absolutely agree that it doesn't make it less annoying... unfortunately there is the law of supply and demand. video games are not worth $60 but they can get it so they do.

  10. #30
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2

    8" Transflective Display

    I was into mp3car stuff a few years back and have an 8" transflective touchscreen that I paid $800 for, anyone interested in making an offer? Its daylight readable Name:  IMAG0398.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  269.6 KB

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 32GB Playbook at Staples for $199
    By RipplingHurst in forum Blackberry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 07:56 PM
  2. Blackberry Playbook Tablet Announced
    By firstorbit84 in forum Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets, UMPCs, etc.
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-14-2011, 01:10 PM
  3. bluetooth stacks and xport
    By jimp in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •