Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Larger LCD Monitors that take DC power

  1. #1
    Newbie SavageKabbage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    51

    Larger LCD Monitors that take DC power

    Hi, I'm looking to get a larger LCD screen (15"-17") installed in my car. Does anyone know if there are any that will directly take 12v DC, or that's easy to jury rig so that it can? Just looking for some alternitive to an inverter.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Allen (Dallas), TX
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageKabbage
    Hi, I'm looking to get a larger LCD screen (15"-17") installed in my car. Does anyone know if there are any that will directly take 12v DC, or that's easy to jury rig so that it can? Just looking for some alternitive to an inverter.

    Thanks
    I can't direct to any specifics, but yes. I have a 15" TFT touchscreen that I use for my home MP3 Jukebox, and it runs on 12v with an external AC adapter. Most of the TFT's seem to run on 12v, so you should have luck in your search.

    -Mike

  3. #3
    Newbie siren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7
    I have a ViewSonic VG150 (15") and an Envision 9110 (19"). They both run off 12 volts DC. One thing to watch, however, is that some of models have shifted from an external power "brick" to an internal power supply.

  4. #4
    Newbie SavageKabbage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by siren
    I have a ViewSonic VG150 (15") and an Envision 9110 (19"). They both run off 12 volts DC. One thing to watch, however, is that some of models have shifted from an external power "brick" to an internal power supply.
    Thanks! I'll take a look into that view sonic... 19" seems a little big..

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageKabbage
    Hi, I'm looking to get a larger LCD screen (15"-17") installed in my car. Does anyone know if there are any that will directly take 12v DC, or that's easy to jury rig so that it can? Just looking for some alternitive to an inverter.

    Thanks
    Try these guys, I believe most if not all of their lcd's have DC Power options:

    http://www.stealthcomputer.com/monitors_flat-PM.htm

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate gork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    655
    Pretty much every LCD panel out there takes a DC input. Some older ones I had used 18V adaptors, but most of them now seem to be setting on 12V -- just right for the car..

    siren is right though, Some of the companies are fitting the transformery into the base or something so that they take a standard power cable, but even on those monitors you can probably find the DC output and tie into that.
    MY CAR IS FOR SALE!
    See My Project Page for Details - 2003 BMW E46 ///M3
    Custom Dash Monitor Housing - OEM Fitment
    Custom Overhead DVD-ROM Housing in Headliner
    BMW I-Bus Integration
    My homepage with many other fun projects!

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by gork
    Pretty much every LCD panel out there takes a DC input. Some older ones I had used 18V adaptors, but most of them now seem to be setting on 12V -- just right for the car..

    siren is right though, Some of the companies are fitting the transformery into the base or something so that they take a standard power cable, but even on those monitors you can probably find the DC output and tie into that.
    Be careful though. On checking one installed in a motorhome I found the TFT was 12v +-5%. Vehicle batteries go way outside that range and you do run the risk of damaging them.

Similar Threads

  1. Lilliput LCD monitors
    By 001 in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 03:46 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2002, 09:32 PM
  3. What are the ATX DC to DC power supply options?
    By Squeezer in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-08-2002, 05:25 PM
  4. Need help finding an AC to DC power adaptor
    By Squeezer in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2000, 01:27 PM
  5. dc to dc ATX power supply
    By Kaizer Soze in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-1999, 08:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •