Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: New Diplay Development Update

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    53

    New Display Development Update

    Hello everyone,

    First off, let me take a sec to thank everyone who voiced their opinions on their screen prefs.

    Here is the direction that I am going so far:

    A) No current mfr make a screen that fits the bill: therefore, no simple bulk purchase and re-distribute option.

    B) Preliminary contacts and quotations from vendors on selected parts.

    Below you will find the current "living design" as it will change with time (also note that there will likely be at least two versions of the screen, high and low end):


    Low End Screen:

    8.4" LTPS TFT screen (800 x 600 native resolution)
    Brightness: 400 cd/m2
    Integrated VGA/USB Touch controler (no video in / only VGA)
    4-wire resistive touch panel

    High End Screen:

    8.4" LTPS TFT screen (800 x 600 native resolution)
    Brightness: 800-1000 cd/m2
    Photo sensor to auto-control screen brightness
    Digital VGA controller (Analog VGA, DVI, RCA, S-Video)
    USB touch controller
    8-wire resistive touch panel (auto-calibrates for drift)

    FYI - both of these options are currently "bare screen", as I have been unable to locate a vedor for a standard 8.4" housing (so far). If I am unsuccessful, I will be forced to design and farm out this work to a plastics mfr. (very expensive for the initial investment).

    Anyway, thanks again, and please let me know what you think of the direction so far.

    I am still also considering creating an 7" wide high brightness display for both stand-alone and in-dash use.

    -Mike

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Washington, US
    Posts
    29
    Wow! 8.4"!? Is this just the current working spec. you've got going or do you actually have a supply channel for these units? I'd bet more than a few people around here would fabricate their own housing if a unit like that could be had at a decent price...

    If you're going to be able to supply these, thanks in advance!

    -Randomtask

  3. #3
    Newbie mportobello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    50
    I've got a double-din slot in my car so I'd like to see a 7" screen.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomtask
    Wow! 8.4"!? Is this just the current working spec. you've got going or do you actually have a supply channel for these units? I'd bet more than a few people around here would fabricate their own housing if a unit like that could be had at a decent price...

    If you're going to be able to supply these, thanks in advance!

    -Randomtask
    Thanks Randomtask,

    I have sourced all of the components so far, but I still have to get samples, so that I can test the products together. Right now, I'm just trying to guage potential customer opinion. Most so far have stated that they would like quality over rock bottom price.

    -Mike

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    12
    Yamato:
    I am very interested in your "high-end" screen. I would want some sort of housing fabricated around it. I have been looking at those Lilliput 8.4" touchscreen that Electronicar has on Ebay. I question the reliability based on other's issues with the 7" Lilliput. I have looked extensively for 8.4" touchscreen VGA and there really is not much out there. TVS in Taiwan has a model that can be purchased through Eversun in the U.S., but it is pretty pricy (about $700) and the housing is pretty big. The serial interface is not USB either. Other than that, there is not much out there. I think you have a good market for a product like this, especially if the brightness could be adjusted easily over a wide range without much trouble (dedicated buttons on the housing?). Keep us informed.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Alta
    Yamato:
    I am very interested in your "high-end" screen. I would want some sort of housing fabricated around it. I have been looking at those Lilliput 8.4" touchscreen that Electronicar has on Ebay. I question the reliability based on other's issues with the 7" Lilliput. I have looked extensively for 8.4" touchscreen VGA and there really is not much out there. TVS in Taiwan has a model that can be purchased through Eversun in the U.S., but it is pretty pricy (about $700) and the housing is pretty big. The serial interface is not USB either. Other than that, there is not much out there. I think you have a good market for a product like this, especially if the brightness could be adjusted easily over a wide range without much trouble (dedicated buttons on the housing?). Keep us informed.
    Yes, I have spent quite some time searching for an ODM product that I could resell. But there is not much out there. I spent two full days at CES talking with every screen mfr that I could find, and most of those folks were just starting to figure out that there is a demand for VGA screens for car. They all seem to be rushing to market with carbon copies of the 7" widescreen w/ or w/o touch. Some said that they had one in-development, some that it was an upcomming product, and even one that had a hack and slash job on display with a VGA conector dangling on some wires hanging out of the back of the screen. As of yet, only the latter has a finished product with samples available. None are making high-bright displays, and almost none working on larger displays.

    Once again, quality has been a major concern in this marketplace, and I have decided not to just slap my name on someone elses refurbished product. This will undoubtetly put a delay on my plans if I am unable to source a 8.4" lcd housing, but I may offer them as a bare screen product before then.

    FYI - I still have to test these components, and nail the suppliers down on pricing, but this is my general model so far.

    As allways - recommendations are very welcome!

    -Mike

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    37
    I would be very interested in the high end 8.4 and I don't need a housing. I have been looking for a good 8.4 for a while now most of them are very expensive or not bright enough. What would be a ball park price for these???

  8. #8
    SMKFree liquid_smoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    4,842
    second that for the 7in

  9. #9
    FLAC aoLhaTer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Posts
    1,122
    Personally, Im only interested in indash screens (specifically motorized)

    My opinion may not matter though

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by aoLhaTer
    Personally, Im only interested in indash screens (specifically motorized)

    My opinion may not matter though
    Everyones opinion matters!

    It's just a matter of how much it matters

    But, yes, this is an area that we have been waiting for a solution for some time now! I have been working with one vendor to see about buying just their in-dash housing so that I can build a VGA screen; but right now, screen options are not very bright, and I am not sure that there would be enough room in these housings to adapt the displays to a high-bright backlight system.

    But I will keep you updated.

    -Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Feature Request (Do not automatically update db)
    By frodobaggins in forum ME Archive
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 06:20 PM
  2. Screen update problem in ME2
    By ProCos in forum ME Archive
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 09:59 AM
  3. Update on AIPC
    By Seraph in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 10:41 AM
  4. MercuryX Update
    By qjones in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 02:39 PM
  5. MP3 Enhanced Stickers update
    By Callahan in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-18-2001, 01:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •