Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: would you buy this?

  1. #1
    Low Bitrate Dr Jeckyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    93

    would you buy this?

    I am a currently disabled pizza restaraunt manager with A LOT of free time on my hands. I've always been handy, and I just imagined a way to motorize an LCD pocket for in-dash use.

    I've already thought up how to make three or four models (depending on where your dash would allow the motor to be sticking out of the housing) and where to buy/ or how to fabricate the parts I need.

    It would fit into a DIN slot and be covered with a spring loaded door when closed. When activated, the screen will slide out and pop-up. I could make mounting rails to accommodate a variety of screens. I would just need to know 1) - what about other in dash housings do you want to see improved, 2) - where are the mounting screws on you guys' screens, and 3) - would there be an interest in this device? How much could I sell it for?

    Your input is appreciated.

    Marc

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jeckyl
    I am a currently disabled pizza restaraunt manager with A LOT of free time on my hands. I've always been handy, and I just imagined a way to motorize an LCD pocket for in-dash use.

    I've already thought up how to make three or four models (depending on where your dash would allow the motor to be sticking out of the housing) and where to buy/ or how to fabricate the parts I need.

    It would fit into a DIN slot and be covered with a spring loaded door when closed. When activated, the screen will slide out and pop-up. I could make mounting rails to accommodate a variety of screens. I would just need to know 1) - what about other in dash housings do you want to see improved, 2) - where are the mounting screws on you guys' screens, and 3) - would there be an interest in this device? How much could I sell it for?

    Your input is appreciated.

    Marc
    Its a good idea, however there are a couple of hiccups with it that you have to think about. Most VGA screens are wider than the DIN. If DIN is exactly 7" (am I correct in assuming this) then xenarc screen is .5-.75 of an inch wider. Lilliput is 7.25" I believe, which is also wider than the DIN opening.

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate fantomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    754
    depends on price, whether it would fit, etc. also...i'd probably want it to be able to tilt up or down so i can put the dvd drive in under or on top for a double din opening
    rebuilding carpc... kinda..

  4. #4
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    I think it would be cool if you could do this. I think we all have been waiting for DigitalWW's GA-700YY 7" Motororized VGA screen. I don't think it will ever arrive (sigh...). If you can make this happen and actually get a motorized VGA screen, that would be awesome.

    I wish you luck!!

    Peace,

    Rafster

    P.S. Post on here or in new thread if this ever gets done

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by rafaelsherman
    I think it would be cool if you could do this. I think we all have been waiting for DigitalWW's GA-700YY 7" Motororized VGA screen. I don't think it will ever arrive (sigh...). If you can make this happen and actually get a motorized VGA screen, that would be awesome.

    I wish you luck!!

    Peace,

    Rafster

    P.S. Post on here or in new thread if this ever gets done

    I am wrong it measuring something?!? Lilliput is 7.36" the dash opening is 7", how are you going to motorize a lilliput into anything? Not to mention that Xenarc is even wider. I am not trying to bash on the idea, its just that without redoing the casing its not possible.

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate Dr Jeckyl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    93
    I really appreciate all of the input - negative and positive - it's all needed.

    After doing some googling today, I have seen some screens with a 7" diagonal that are VGA. I've seen other screens even smaller than that, so the in-dash idea would work for some people.

    For larger sizes, I could just make a motorized pocket that they can mount anywhere they choose.

    If my initial estimates are correct, I think I can sell them for somewhere between $150 - $175.

    As for the tilting up or down idea, that would simply be decided by the inner-casing side rails (mounted upside down for a down-tilting mechanism) - I could even include instructions on how to turn those rails over for that effect.

    Arkadiyp, I appreciate your input. Please send me additional measurements if you have them. I think a standard box as well as the DIN idea might sell, so if I do make these, I can make larger units also (an idea I just had was a mountable box with the tilt down for the overhead console - the screen would hide away when not in use).

    Thanks guys,

    Marc

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jeckyl
    Arkadiyp, I appreciate your input. Please send me additional measurements if you have them. I think a standard box as well as the DIN idea might sell, so if I do make these, I can make larger units also (an idea I just had was a mountable box with the tilt down for the overhead console - the screen would hide away when not in use).

    Thanks guys,

    Marc
    The din is theoretically 7", maybe a little bigger. Xenarc 700 series are 7.75 wide so xenarc is out of the question as far as fitting it into a din unmodified - you can check their specs at www.xenarc.com. I am still not clear how wide a lilliput is exactly since everyone has different measurment posted. Maybe someone who has a lilliput can measure it for you.

  8. #8
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    65
    I put some serious thought into this. have some parts for it. just waiting for my lilliput to show up so i can start. the lilliput is 7 3/8" wide, i plan to make the entire unit a hair over 7.5" wide. check out http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...zed#post177887 there are some drawings. I've since changed the design a little bit, including making the part that connects to the LCD, and the part it actually pivots on longer, but with an angle in it. I dont know how well it will work, how stable it will be. I thought about the whole spring lifting the screen up, but it was a bit crude, and didnt like the idea of it. i also scrapped the single wheel, and the entire unit rides on racks (two along the bottom, and two along the top, for stability).

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by briang
    I put some serious thought into this. have some parts for it. just waiting for my lilliput to show up so i can start. the lilliput is 7 3/8" wide, i plan to make the entire unit a hair over 7.5" wide. check out http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...zed#post177887 there are some drawings. I've since changed the design a little bit, including making the part that connects to the LCD, and the part it actually pivots on longer, but with an angle in it. I dont know how well it will work, how stable it will be. I thought about the whole spring lifting the screen up, but it was a bit crude, and didnt like the idea of it. i also scrapped the single wheel, and the entire unit rides on racks (two along the bottom, and two along the top, for stability).
    So 7.5 is it designed to go into a DIN or a standalone unit mounted anywhere?

  10. #10
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    65
    i cant speak for all vehicles, but i am pretty much building it for my vehicle. if you've ever been in a pre 1997 jeep cherokee, it is going in the dash vent under the head unit. i think it will be a tiny bit wider than the head unit opening.

Similar Threads

  1. Vote for a Money Order Lilliput Group Buy
    By NightHunter in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2004, 06:34 PM
  2. Why should I buy 7VVT KIT?
    By meetmandeep in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 03:14 AM
  3. DC-DC *Large* group buy!
    By claylong in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-03-2002, 08:30 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •