Lilliput TouchKit problem solved!
I just got my Lilliput 7" touchscreen, and had a problem with the drivers and software that was shipped with it. After spending (wasting) a few hours here on the board, reading posts about how good or bad it is, and how much better the Xenarc screen is, I found a solution that may help a few people.
The problem: Computer locks up during installation of the TouchKit software, usually after scanning the com ports. It only takes the work of a few minutes to see that a lot of people are having this problem. I hope this helps...
1. After banging my head on the table trying to uninstall the bad drivers, I finally did a system restore. I tried deleting the INF files and registry entries, but the "Found new hardware" after reboot would not go away. I hate to resort to system restore, but that was my only option at that point.
2. I downloaded the latest software from eGalax (the authors of the program) at http://www.egalax.com.tw Click on downloads and find your operating system. It seems to me that most people with this problem are using Windows XP.
3. I installed the software without the hardware connected. After reboot, I connected the hardware, and let windows automatically configure the drivers.
It all works fine now. I hope this will help some of you that have had a similar problem.
Have a nice day!