Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Does anyone LIKE the Lilliput 7"?

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate Skipjacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    534

    Does anyone LIKE the Lilliput 7"?

    I've heard all kinds of negative feedback on the Lilliput 7 inch monitors. But does anyone have anything good to say about them?

    2 things make this a very attractive monitor for me. 1) It's cheap. 2) It is teh perfect size to snuggly fit in the dash of an E36 BMW. It gets a ton of extra points by already being the right size and requiring little to no dash board modifications.


    Is it known to have a dead pixle problem? I notice the Xenarcs come with a garentee but the Lilliputs don't.

    I'm not doing anything fancy. I'm not watching DVD's. I'm not setting up a wild MP3 visualization studio or anything. No X-Box. I just want a simple Carputer to run a navigation system.

    How often is the bad touch screen a problem? I know we probably hear more about the bad ones than we do about the good ones.

    Will a Lilliput suit my purposes okay? Or is it really worth spending the extra $150?

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    482
    Personally, its worth spending the extra. I can tell you this, the Xenarc is more automotive friendly on a few stands. But to point out a couple is auto start - aka, you don't have to turn on the screen each time you start the car. Two, its brighter and simply easier to see in the day light. Much easier? No, but easier, yes. ahh, what the heck, and 3rd reason would be no need to regulate input power voltage. The screen will support with no issues the direct power feed of your cars power line with no regulation. Course, you can if you insist. WIth the Lilly you must regulate.

    Guess it comes down to your priorities and your setup.

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate Skipjacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by DaRacerz
    Personally, its worth spending the extra. I can tell you this, the Xenarc is more automotive friendly on a few stands. But to point out a couple is auto start - aka, you don't have to turn on the screen each time you start the car. Two, its brighter and simply easier to see in the day light. Much easier? No, but easier, yes. ahh, what the heck, and 3rd reason would be no need to regulate input power voltage. The screen will support with no issues the direct power feed of your cars power line with no regulation. Course, you can if you insist. WIth the Lilly you must regulate.

    Guess it comes down to your priorities and your setup.
    The lilliput comes with a cig lighter adapter. Can I just use that to hard wire the monitor power into the car's electrical system? Or would I need another power inverter like I'll have for the PC?

    And where can I get exact dimensions on both monitors? I can't find them on either monitor's manufacturer's site. I mean the external dimensions of the casing that is.

    (Man if I could just get teh Xenarc monitor in the Lilliput case, then I'd have something going on! )

  4. #4
    The Curator
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Blue ZX3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Chicago area,IL
    Posts
    5,079
    There are two more things...first is that some people have reported that the cig regulator went bad and fried the monitor. No big deal really cause all you have to do is use the aready regulated 12v from the psu...just use a one of the molar connections that you are not using and tap off from the 12v rail...and second, if you search on this forum there is thread that someone has posed the dims...nicely done, too...as when I started I was wonder the same thing...

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate Skipjacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue ZX3
    There are two more things...first is that some people have reported that the cig regulator went bad and fried the monitor. No big deal really cause all you have to do is use the aready regulated 12v from the psu...just use a one of the molar connections that you are not using and tap off from the 12v rail...and second, if you search on this forum there is thread that someone has posed the dims...nicely done, too...as when I started I was wonder the same thing...
    I have absolutely no idea what you just said

    Could you pretend for a minute that I know nothing about power regulation, common carputer problems, what a dim is, etc.....

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate Bodgy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Briz Vegas, Australia
    Posts
    290
    i think dims meant dimentions.

    the 'egg' is also known to cause electrical interference that is heard through the car speakers.

    a molex (molar is a tooth) connector is just a hard drive/cd drive power plug, the ones with 4 wires. The yellow wire= 12volt+ usually but obviously check with a multimeter before you hook anything up, run the lilliput from that.

    If I had the money to choose I would go xenarc for sure, but I cant afford any form of vga screen lol.

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate Skipjacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodgy
    i think dims meant dimentions.

    the 'egg' is also known to cause electrical interference that is heard through the car speakers.

    a molex (molar is a tooth) connector is just a hard drive/cd drive power plug, the ones with 4 wires. The yellow wire= 12volt+ usually but obviously check with a multimeter before you hook anything up, run the lilliput from that.

    If I had the money to choose I would go xenarc for sure, but I cant afford any form of vga screen lol.
    Thanks!

    But I'm running a laptop as my PC. What could I use to power the screen from that? It doesn't have a regular hard drive power plug. The computer's power cord outputs 15V. Is that WAY too much? (Did I mention this is my first time doing most of this stuff? )

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    42
    The lilliput comes with a regulator (the "egg") that accepts 12-16V input and outputs 12V. This is meant to be used so you can power it directly from the cars electrical system.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17
    The screen itself is OK! The housing also. The rest is just a pita, vga vonnector is bad, touchscreen is bad, loose connections inside, ia the flat cable. Thats just my experience. But when your good with electronics, youll just do fine...

  10. #10
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Optikal
    The lilliput comes with a regulator (the "egg") that accepts 12-16V input and outputs 12V. This is meant to be used so you can power it directly from the cars electrical system.

    i've got mine directly on the battery (with a fuse between it though )
    my lilliput works perfect never any problems, touchscreen never fails or i must say sometimes it is hard to cross out a window (so right top corner doesn't allways respond needs some practice :P further my old car was a e36 and indeed fits perfect in there .

    about only hearing bad things, well probably its having more trouble that xenarcs but people only tend to say anything about it when something goes wrong :P.

    the 'egg' is also known to cause electrical interference that is heard through the car speakers.
    no problems here.

    the xenarc will probably be worth the extra but if you dont have the extra like me or never seen a xenarc in action in real life you probably wont notice to much difference...especially not for just navigation,

    btw i must warn you that that place in the e36 gets a lot of sun in the summer about 70% of the time you passeger wont be able to read it because its slightly pionted to the drives seat, the driver is oke most of the time but not always,

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FS: 7" Lilliput w/ TS and CNX-P1260
    By brandon in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 11:39 PM
  2. FS: 7" Lilliput Touchscreen VGA Monitor : Broken
    By jaeger in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-21-2004, 08:46 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 05:37 AM
  4. In-Dash 7" MOTOR TFT or Lilliput 7" Touch Screen
    By JonX69 in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 02:22 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •