Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: 8.4" LCD in WRX dash.

  1. #31
    Maximum Bitrate nFiniteTuning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tijeras, NM
    Posts
    706
    lol...your startin to show me all the work I'm about to go through.
    -Josh
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    My URL: https://www.facebook.com/jagray85

    XBOX: DarkerStars

  2. #32
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    749

    Ordered the LCD..

    Just an update, I placed my order for the LCD panel from www.evisiondisplays.com.


    I called and talked with a Bill Hutchins, and ordered this:

    EVD084S03-DSOT - 8.4" LVDS LCD w/ sunlight-readable brightness enhancements (~325 NITS) and touchscreen: $392 (was $428!).
    Inverter CXA-K0612-VSL $25.00
    Inverter input cable 51021-05-12D $3.00
    USB Touch screen controller N16B-0558-B710 $25.00
    T/S cont. USB cable Cable/RTP/USB $20.00

    Subtotal: $465
    GA Tax: $27.90
    Total: $492.90

    The LCD panel itself is a single-tube LCD, so if you want a brighter one, they have a new AU Optronics LCD model G084SN05 with 2 tubes for $433, but it's 30mm too tall for my car.

    The LCD panel is also a newer updated version from the original that I had quoted last year (literally last year, in Feb 2003).

    The lead time is about 2 weeks, so it should coincide well with getting my motherboard and CPU..

  3. #33
    Constant Bitrate StationRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    199
    that pannel looks great. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it works out in your dash. It will be great to see something other than the 7" 16:9 that the rest of us have in there.


    Are your windows tinted? 325 cd/m2 is bright and all but i'll bet there are times when you will have glare issues. Besides tint shops are gennerally dying for work this time of year and you could get it tone cheap...

  4. #34
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by StationRocket
    that pannel looks great. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it works out in your dash. It will be great to see something other than the 7" 16:9 that the rest of us have in there.

    Are your windows tinted? 325 cd/m2 is bright and all but i'll bet there are times when you will have glare issues. Besides tint shops are gennerally dying for work this time of year and you could get it tone cheap...
    Nope, my 03 WRX Wagon is completely stock, except for the dash modifications I've been working on.

    I've got threads spread out all over the place on various stages of my project, but here's two Fabrication threads of mine:
    How to: Duplicating a radio bezel
    Bending aluminum into a case.

    I'm modifying the radio bezel to fit the 8.4" LCD, and making an aluminum case to hold the motherboard in a Subaru gauge housing up in the clock console area.

  5. #35
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano
    Just an update, I placed my order for the LCD panel from www.evisiondisplays.com.

    I called and talked with a Bill Hutchins, and ordered this:

    EVD084S03-DSOT - 8.4" LVDS LCD w/ sunlight-readable brightness enhancements (~325 NITS) and touchscreen: $392 (was $428!).
    Inverter CXA-K0612-VSL $25.00
    Inverter input cable 51021-05-12D $3.00
    USB Touch screen controller N16B-0558-B710 $25.00
    T/S cont. USB cable Cable/RTP/USB $20.00

    Subtotal: $465
    GA Tax: $27.90
    Total: $492.90

    The LCD panel itself is a single-tube LCD, so if you want a brighter one, they have a new AU Optronics LCD model G084SN05 with 2 tubes for $433, but it's 30mm too tall for my car.

    The LCD panel is also a newer updated version from the original that I had quoted last year (literally last year, in Feb 2003).

    The lead time is about 2 weeks, so it should coincide well with getting my motherboard and CPU..
    I got the call today that my LCD was ready, so I'm picking it up tomorrow morning..

    And my motherboard is arriving tomorrow morning, so I'm pretty much all set for the weekend.

  6. #36
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    749

    The LCD is in!

    I picked it up this morning, and it's so sweet..

    I test-fitted it in the dash, and sure enough, I've got enough room.. though I may want to cushion the top and bottom for safety.


    The 4-wire touch panel controller is by Fujitsu, and the drivers are here:
    http://www.fcai.fujitsu.com/touchPan...?wPage=drv&s=1

    I haven't installed the drivers yet, but it appears to be able to do some neat stuff, like screen scrolling, and supporting touch panel operations across multiple LCD panels.

    Such as, the LCD's resolution is 800x600, and I set Windows to use 1280x1024, I can then touch the panel in the corners or sides to scroll the view across the virtual screen.


    I'm still waiting on some connectors to arrive before I can hook this puppy up to my LV-671 (also arrived today), but they shipped today so I should have them by Monday, if not sooner.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  7. #37
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    749

    Update: Mounting tray/brackets..

    A little update, after a few months of working on the LCD panel and the case..

    I'm starting the planning stages on how I'll be mounting the LCD panel in the dash.

    The mounting assembly will consist of an upper and a lower half - this is the lower half.


    The lower half consists of a combination tray and mounting bracket, which will slide into the space occupied by the original double-din radio, and will be secured by screws to the original radio mounting holes.

    The tray itself will be used to hold various items, such as the CarNetix P1280 power supply that I got...


    The slotted tabs on the front left and right of the tray are where the LCD panel itself will be attached - they're at different heights because the mounting holes on the LCD are at different heights.

    The LCD itself will be secured to the bracket by 5mm or 10mm standoffs, and the slots allow the LCD panel to be adjusted for centering in the console.


    I'll order some aluminum sheet stock, and dremel cut the slots and bend by hand.

    The whole sheet should be about 8.5" x 10" or so, and 2mm thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #38
    Registered User Dudes99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Norfolk, Va
    Posts
    181
    I am truely envious of your emachineshop skills.Also, where is a good cross reference site to see what kind of LCD I have, I mean I know it's a LG Philips 150X1 (C2QT) (15") but is it TTL or LVDS? Where /how can I do a VGA controller if TTL? OI, maybe I should just scrap this idea........

  9. #39
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudes99
    I am truely envious of your emachineshop skills.Also, where is a good cross reference site to see what kind of LCD I have, I mean I know it's a LG Philips 150X1 (C2QT) (15") but is it TTL or LVDS? Where /how can I do a VGA controller if TTL? OI, maybe I should just scrap this idea........
    I've been using the eMachineshop software primarily to flesh out my design ideas, because it provides basic 3D layout CAD/CAM in a free (eMachineshop supported) piece of software.

    It's easy for me, because I have some background in CAD, and enough experience with CAD line-drawing operations and such..

    The reality is that the end-results of my designs turn out to be much less sophisticated than the CAD drawings because I'm currenly doing things by hand.

    I don't have a milling machine (yet), and for most of these, forking out $$ for eMachineshop work isn't really cost effective.


    As for cross-referencing LCD's, there is no single source for all info, but is your friend.

    In this case, I found a spec sheet:
    http://www.larwe.com/technical/datasheets/lp150x1.doc (1MB Word Doc)


    That LCD panel is a 1024x768 18-bit LVDS LCD panel, and page 7 shows the pinouts of the connector.

    That LCD should be (relatively) easy to hook up.

  10. #40
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    749

    Continued progress...

    Well, two months later, and I've made some progress on how to mount this LCD panel.. also changed designs two or three times..

    The current design has the LCD panel mounted to 10mm hex standoffs, which are epoxy glued into clay mounting blocks set in the dash.

    You can see it here:

    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/atta...chmentid=17150

    It actually works pretty well, as the clay doesn't move much when the panel is secured to the posts.

    Unfortunately, it makes it rather difficult to construct a bezel to cover the LCD panel.. I've abandoned my previous attempt at duplicating the bezel in resin, it's just too much work.


    Instead, I'm working with aluminum again, and will be bending and cutting a 12" square sheet of 1/16"-thick aluminum into this shape (picture attached).


    The LCD panel will be mounted to the rear side of the indented section, and I may shape up the front side with epoxy putty to give it a beveled bezel around the screen's edge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Accord lcd question - placing lcd deeper in dash
    By mykolJay in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 01:02 PM
  2. Where would you put an LCD in this dash?
    By redbeamer in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 01:03 PM
  3. In dash lcd
    By skoda in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 01:12 PM
  4. Anyone want a Clarion 5.6" In Dash LCD?
    By gguy in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2001, 10:29 PM
  5. in dash LCD question,.
    By moahdib in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-25-2001, 09:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •