Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 148

Thread: Modding the new Motorized VGA Screens

  1. #1
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605

    Modding the new Motorized VGA Screens

    Hey All,

    I count myself among the lucky to have gotten my unit (The DWW-700M)You know the one, the new Motorized VGA units being sold by Armen at DWW and here on MP3Car.com.

    Well, while I am excited, there are some issues that are bothering some people. First, the unit does not Automatically extend when the car is started. One must press a button to get it to come out. While I am lazy, I am not too lazy to press the button, but why should it act like that. It should be able to automatically extend. The other "issue" is that the front LCD for the clock and the Power button stay illuminated even whe the car is off.

    I believe that these are flaws, yet they were designed into the unit. I want to change this some how.

    First, I am working on the lighting when off issue. That seems to be an easy solution, and I hope to have something worked out in the next day or so. I will post my results, and how to do it then. Don't want to give hope when I am not 100 percent sure I can do it.

    THe other issue, the "AutoExtend" can be attacked in a couple of ways. The first, not so elegent, and the second, elegent, but a pain.

    I noticed when I took the unit apart (Not completely, just enough to see) that there is a PLCC chip on the main board. I believe that chip is the "brains" of the operation. Luckily it is socketed, so it can be easily removed. However, once I figure out what it is (I can't read the numbers on it yet) I believe we will be able to remove it, and get it reprogrammed. Where, however, is the big question. Does anyone have any experience with programing these things? I have no idea what language, and I do not have the ability to program PLCC's. I have found a place that does BIOS restoration on PLCC's, and I will contact him to see if he can extract the information, and perhaps the smart people on here can figure it out, and make the appropriate changes.

    I will work on the not so elegant approach over the next day or so as well, and see if I can make some changes. Not sure how well it will work, but it is worth a try.

    Please post here if you have worked, can work, or think you can help with this.

    Thanx
    Michael

  2. #2
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Well you could try modding the button. If you attempt the chip route, make sure you don't loose it or otherwise damage it. You might not be able to get a replacement.

  3. #3
    MySQL Error jcdillin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    4,043
    Well get the numbers from the chip, if it's a pic microcontroller I doubt you will be able to pull the code off of it as they have a read protect bit. But there is nothing to say that we couldnt get a replacement and write our own program, might even be able to put in some more error checking in case the screen doesnt extend fully, etc, etc
    肚子笑痛了
    S60 Install

  4. #4
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by jcdillin
    Well get the numbers from the chip, if it's a pic microcontroller I doubt you will be able to pull the code off of it as they have a read protect bit. But there is nothing to say that we couldnt get a replacement and write our own program, might even be able to put in some more error checking in case the screen doesnt extend fully, etc, etc
    The only issue I see with that is figuring out the Different I/O's the chip is using now.

    Didn't know about the protection scheme. Bummer.

    Perhpas the company that made the units can reprogram them for us. What a novel idea.

    Michael

  5. #5
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    94
    You could power the unit from a DSSC. When you put the key in the ignition, it can emulate a button press and provide power to the unit. That would solve both of your issues with one solution.

    When you take the key out, the power to the Motorized display would stay on for about 5 minutes, then turn off completely (including the LCD display and power button led).

    So basically, when you get in your car and put the key in the ignition, the display would turn on an fold up. Then when you turn the ignition off, the display would fold back in and then turn off the display a few minutes later.

    Just a suggestion, but it seems like a perfect solution for this. And it's a lot cheaper than any of the other startup shutdown controllers.
    Check out my carputers:
    DVD, GPS, MP3, 6.4" LCD Touchscreen, 5" Headrest LCDs, PSone, DSSC, etc.

  6. #6
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by bergeron76
    You could power the unit from a DSSC. When you put the key in the ignition, it can emulate a button press and provide power to the unit. That would solve both of your issues with one solution.

    When you take the key out, the power to the Motorized display would stay on for about 5 minutes, then turn off completely (including the LCD display and power button led).

    So basically, when you get in your car and put the key in the ignition, the display would turn on an fold up. Then when you turn the ignition off, the display would fold back in and then turn off the display a few minutes later.

    Just a suggestion, but it seems like a perfect solution for this. And it's a lot cheaper than any of the other startup shutdown controllers.


    Sorry, but what is a DSSC? Can't seem to find anything about it.

    I will, however, post a complete Mod for both issues tonight. Just need to get 2 parts (Hopefully Ratshack will have the second piece I need)

    Michael

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Smoke stacks and factories
    Posts
    21
    Wiredwrx, I also got this unit and was very concerned about the two issues, I have an access to a programmer and I can take a look at that chip early next week. I'm also concerened about the lights staying out, I have a wrx as well and around here in the tri-state area they were high on the theft list, so I don't want to add to it.

    LMK what you come up with..

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Posts
    35
    hey im on the fence to buying the motorized unit. i have a Xenarc 700TSV with the high brightness upgrade and noticed it uses the same or simmilar lcd panels would you be able to switch out panels so i could use the one with the high brightness upgrades(sent out to xenarc one) unless it already has those features. im not really sure of the schematics as obviously i dont have the new one yet. Anybody familliar with the two units the Xenarc and The motorized could tell me if my upgrade idea would be plausible. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. If not i have a very nice spot to put my upgraded xenarc in the back of my car. Just curious.
    Andoid-car.com
    Home of Android Car Enthusiasts

  9. #9
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberpotato
    hey im on the fence to buying the motorized unit. i have a Xenarc 700TSV with the high brightness upgrade and noticed it uses the same or simmilar lcd panels would you be able to switch out panels so i could use the one with the high brightness upgrades(sent out to xenarc one) unless it already has those features. im not really sure of the schematics as obviously i dont have the new one yet. Anybody familliar with the two units the Xenarc and The motorized could tell me if my upgrade idea would be plausible. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. If not i have a very nice spot to put my upgraded xenarc in the back of my car. Just curious.
    I am not sure if it will fit, but it might. I don't have the manual in front of me now, but I do remember seeing that it mentioned which screen is in there. Perhaps you can determine the size, and figure out if it will fit.

    Michael

  10. #10
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by vadimr
    Wiredwrx, I also got this unit and was very concerned about the two issues, I have an access to a programmer and I can take a look at that chip early next week. I'm also concerened about the lights staying out, I have a wrx as well and around here in the tri-state area they were high on the theft list, so I don't want to add to it.

    LMK what you come up with..

    That would be great. I did go ahead and modify the unit. However, as you will see when I post it, there are some issues which a reprogram will correct. Let me know what you find out, and if you need any help.

    Michael

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Motorized In-dash VGA Touch Screen 7"?
    By JonX69 in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 08:33 AM
  2. Frequently Asked Questions
    By bgoodman in forum The FAQ Emporium
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 07:25 PM
  3. In-Dash DVD, VGA, Motorized???
    By Rafster in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 06:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •