Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Carputer behind dash

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8

    Carputer behind dash

    2 quick questions from someone new to this scene please.

    firstly is it possible to install a carputer behind the dash of a fiat punto? Ive noticed most people seem to be installing theirs in the boot. I have a 7inch in dash motorized touch screen so it would seem easier to install the carputer just behind this, inside the dash?

    The in dash touch screen has replaced my existing headunit. I was therefore wondering how i would control sound from my soundcard. the soundcard would be hooked up to an amp, but with no headunit with volume control, how could the volume be controlled??

    thanks in advance

    rich_bell20

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate RS3RS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_bell20
    The in dash touch screen has replaced my existing headunit. I was therefore wondering how i would control sound from my soundcard. the soundcard would be hooked up to an amp, but with no headunit with volume control, how could the volume be controlled??

    thanks in advance

    rich_bell20
    Most people who go straight from the soundcard output to the amp just use frodoplayer's (or whatever the front end is) volume control to control the levels. Personally, though, I'd wire in a kill switch in-case it froze in the middle of a song or something.

  3. #3
    MySQL Error MatrixPC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Beach City, Socal
    Posts
    4,053
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_bell20
    2 quick questions from someone new to this scene please.

    firstly is it possible to install a carputer behind the dash of a fiat punto? Ive noticed most people seem to be installing theirs in the boot. I have a 7inch in dash motorized touch screen so it would seem easier to install the carputer just behind this, inside the dash?

    The in dash touch screen has replaced my existing headunit. I was therefore wondering how i would control sound from my soundcard. the soundcard would be hooked up to an amp, but with no headunit with volume control, how could the volume be controlled??

    thanks in advance

    rich_bell20
    1) If it fit in there, why not? But heat will be the problem.

    2) Read the FAQ
    2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
    89 Supra Turbo P3 600E@750/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
    Y2K Accord Dell GX150
    RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
    EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

  4. #4
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by RS3RS
    Most people who go straight from the soundcard output to the amp just use frodoplayer's (or whatever the front end is) volume control to control the levels. Personally, though, I'd wire in a kill switch in-case it froze in the middle of a song or something.
    Thanks for the replys, but ive already read that FAQ before. What it says there is u need a headunit with aux in. What if u don't have a head unit at all. I havent got a head unit, simply an lcd screen with 2 video ins, and a left/right audio out. there are no audio ins.??

  6. #6
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_bell20
    Thanks for the replys, but ive already read that FAQ before. What it says there is u need a headunit with aux in. What if u don't have a head unit at all. I havent got a head unit, simply an lcd screen with 2 video ins, and a left/right audio out. there are no audio ins.??
    No it doesn't. It gives you an example of how to hook up your soundcard output to your amplifier. That was your question.

    What hasn't been answered was your additional question of how you would control the volume. You do that by varying the volume on the computer. For example, Frodoplayer volume controls the output level of the computer to the amp and makes it louder or softer.

    Lots of people use the Griffin Powermate to control the volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate Supermike's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    294
    Not an answer to your question, but an opinion, since I had my carputer mounted behind the screen for a while. Though there may be room, it will probably be tight - most likely very tight. What killed it for me was not the heat (I had ducted the AC), but rather the maintenance of the system. Carefully consider how, and how often you will be needing to remove the system for maintenance. If it will take an hour each time to pull it out and another to put it back, it may be better to spend a couple extra hours initially and mount it where you can easily remove it for upgrades, or maintenance.
    "Protecting Privacy and Free Speech Online"
    http://www.eff.org/

  8. #8
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_bell20
    firstly is it possible to install a carputer behind the dash of a fiat punto? Ive noticed most people seem to be installing theirs in the boot. I have a 7inch in dash motorized touch screen so it would seem easier to install the carputer just behind this, inside the dash?
    If you've got room behind the dash, it's certainly possible.
    This was my original plan,b ut upon doing research into it, there's simply not enough room behind my dash. Granted, my ride is different from yours.
    Test, measure, and investigate. It's the only way you'll know if you've got the room.
    Whatever you do, make sure you've got adequate cooling for the PC (a couple of 80mm case fans should be more than sufficient), since the computer is going to be right behind the firewall and will likely get warmer than if it was under your seat or in a center console.

    I'm not saying anything that hasn't already be said, have I? Does that make me a post whore?

    Seriously, good luck and make sure to show us the finished project!
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8
    cheers for the replys guys. ive instead opted to build my own lcd into the dashboard as opposed to a motorized tray dash lcd, its cheaper and more rewarding! (the cool beetle inspired me!) cheers bugbite. Bugbite you may also be able to help me with this one. what did u use when supplying power to the motherboard? i planned on just using a desktop pc motherboard with a standard power supply, then buying a power inverter that connects to the car battery, and just ahving a normal plug socket on the inverter. any better ways. Also i noticed thats yours auto started up and shutdown upon turning engine on/off. how did u do this if you wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge.

    thanks

  10. #10
    FLAC Chairboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,380
    Rich_bell20, there's a crapstorm coming your way. I suggest you avoid it by going and reading the power supply area of this board.
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. (Div)XBox Carputer (warning: many pics)
    By Richie in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 06:24 PM
  2. Basic Carputer question(s)
    By HHdesign in forum Newbie
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 12:17 AM
  3. Good time to buy carputer components?
    By Linus in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 09:57 PM
  4. temps in trunk vs dash
    By Saurk in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 11:27 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •