Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Using stock navi screen

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9

    Using stock navi screen

    hi...i have been search around but cannot find an answer...i have a 2001 lexus gs300 with the navigation screen....i cannot remove that because that controls everything from the radio to the climate controls....is there a way that i can use that screen to display my computer...what kind of adapters would i need for it....im looking for i guess vga to vga or similar because i heard composite and bad pictures....

    thanks...

  2. #2
    Neither darque nor pervert DarquePervert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    13,950
    The problem is that screen doesn't have a VGA input.
    If factory screen has a composite input, then you could use a tv-out to get a composite signal to the screen. AS you said, the output quality would not be as great.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

  3. #3
    Calm
    Down
    Or
    Get
    A
    2
    Week
    Vacation
    -Love
    The
    Forum
    Policeman
    Wiredwrx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,605
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaxryder View Post
    hi...i have been search around but cannot find an answer...i have a 2001 lexus gs300 with the navigation screen....i cannot remove that because that controls everything from the radio to the climate controls....is there a way that i can use that screen to display my computer...what kind of adapters would i need for it....im looking for i guess vga to vga or similar because i heard composite and bad pictures....

    thanks...
    You will most likely have better luck with and clublexus.com.

    This is a common question here, so you should be able to find an answer on the baords, but to make it easy for you, IT AINT EASY OR CHEAP, IF IT IS EVEN POSSIBLE, and mosty likely, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

    If you searched and found nothing, then that is your answer, it is not possible, or at least, hasn't been done yet. That leaves you to try.

    Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9
    yea...i figured....the best route is probably just get an external vga monitor and work from there....thanks anyways....

  5. #5
    Newbie browncf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    7
    http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m...00%20-%20GS430

    composite, but might work for you.

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    36
    Most OEM nav screens have an RGBS input, this is better than composite, but not as good as VGA.

    RGBS is almost the same is VGA, but has a sync of only 15 KHz, whereas VGA has at least 31 KHz.
    You can get powerstrip to downscale the sync if your card supports it, but booting will still be done at a higher sync rate and might screw up your OEM screen.
    The best solution if you want to keep using the OEM screen, is to get an arcade VGA card, which natively supports 15 KHz. This card was actually made for the arcade freaks, but should work for your purpose as well.

    You'll still need to find out how the pins of the RGBS input relate to the VGA signal.

    I haven't tried it yet, but I have the intention to do this in my VW Touareg.

  7. #7
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    86
    I didn't do a CarPC, but I did do an Xbox. Using a Component to RGBS converter; however, you'll need to convert from VGA to RGBS.

    Apparently, you can do a straight RGBS 15khz with this video card http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html . And all you have to do is hack into the interface between the screen and nav computer with a 4PDT relay so you can switch between the two.

    As far as touch screen goes, there isn't an easy solution at the moment. There is a guy who was able to get his factory touch screen (in a Toyota Prius which is pretty much the same) to work with his mac mini carputer, but he had to use a $300-400 piece of equipment to just output touch screen coordinates. http://www.kusnetz.net/prius/

    Here's an old picture of XBMC in my car...but I've since updated to a mobile friendly skin



  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranman View Post
    Apparently, you can do a straight RGBS 15khz with this video card http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html .

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    37
    you can also try http://www.vaistech.com/home.html
    they seem to be specialized with lexus but i didn't see any info about composite video input.
    don't let my reg. date fool you; 'lurker since '03.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranman View Post
    I didn't do a CarPC, but I did do an Xbox. Using a Component to RGBS converter; however, you'll need to convert from VGA to RGBS.

    Apparently, you can do a straight RGBS 15khz with this video card http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html . And all you have to do is hack into the interface between the screen and nav computer with a 4PDT relay so you can switch between the two.

    As far as touch screen goes, there isn't an easy solution at the moment. There is a guy who was able to get his factory touch screen (in a Toyota Prius which is pretty much the same) to work with his mac mini carputer, but he had to use a $300-400 piece of equipment to just output touch screen coordinates. http://www.kusnetz.net/prius/

    Here's an old picture of XBMC in my car...but I've since updated to a mobile friendly skin


    what did you use to convert your component to rgbs? Also what is the default resolution on your OEM screen. I have a mazda and i'm looking to do something similar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Blue Devil Skin RELEASED
    By JohnWPB in forum RR Skins No Longer Supported
    Replies: 1005
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 08:54 PM
  2. my poor screen
    By jay_tu in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 04:19 PM
  3. stuffed screen? im stumped!
    By *blinkey* in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 10:23 PM
  4. gotta love NOT getting stock navi option
    By nappyjim in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 06:12 PM
  5. NEC Versa M/75 Laptop TFT screen w/touch
    By Macgyver777 in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-24-2002, 03:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •