I got it working! Now my router will auto-connect to any open wifi with an internet connection. It also creates a wireless bubble around my car, spreading the wireless love a little farther. Here is a short howto on what I did:
1) bought a Linksys WRT54GL router ($62)
2) Flashed the firmware with this: dd-wrt.std-nokaid.v24-6291.bin
3) Set the Router to "repeater" mode using this info: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/UWR
4) Enables SSH and JFFS2 in the router.
5) Downloaded the autoap.sh script from: http://www.oregonmicroscience.com/autoap.sh
(this script is the magic that will auto-connect to the strongest, openwifi with internet. This script has a fair amount of customizability to it as you can specify prefered ssid's and even specify to only connect to secure wifi APs)
6) copied it to the /jffs (this directory allows user storage space):
7) In the administration->command web interface I added a:Code:scp autoap.sh root@[wrt54gl_IPADDRESS]:/jffs ssh root@[wrt54gl_IPADDRESS] chmod 777 /jffs/autoap.sh
and clicked "Save Startup" so the script will load every time the router does.Code:./jffs/autoap &
That's it! Hope this helps anyone out who wants to give it a try.