I just came across this site, so I am not sure if I will be teaching you guys to suck eggs... I am sure it will be useful for someone.... but basically I have a Sony UX1XN which I am in the process of adding Carputer functionality to.
I have a good working Sat Nav which can be seen here;
Instructions for installing it under Linux are available here;
I have also installed the newly created "Ubuntu Mobile" finger friendly GUI onto my existing Ubuntu Hardy install, which can be seen here;
Instructions for installing this are available here;
I apologise for all the links but it beats re-posting everything.
What I want to achieve is the following;
- I want a sat nav and media device (other functions might be added later) on my UX1XN.
- I want a docking station "hard-wired" into both my car and my other half's car.
- I want an OEM-looking feel to the GUI for each car (a Saab look for mine and an Audi look for my missuses car).
- I want the device to detect which car it's in and load the appropriate GUI automatically.
- I want it to boot to a normal desktop when not docked in either car - again automatically.
I have plenty of ideas as to how I could achieve all of this (I am thinking seperate Audi and Saab logon accounts and a script that greps for the MAC address of the ethernet NIC of each docking station when it switches itself on)... but I thought I would ask here if anyone has either already achieved something similar or would be interested in helping out?
Many thanks for your time.