Have Questions on Linux and Ubuntu Linux.
Please, I just want to say please don't bash me for partially jumping ship as far as Windows is concerned. I know some of you told me so, but I had to find out for myself.
My main system will be Windows 7, and as you know I have dumped alot of money into it. My quest to add 6 personal systems though, I really do not want to spend alot of money per system. My budget for each system is $125.00, $100.00 is for the MoBo and $20.00 for a 2GB USB Thumb Drive. I am doing this to show that you can have a very cheap for under $150.00 dollars. I did research on booting Windows from a thumb drive and there is simply to much involved and it isn't really guaranteed to be stable. Because I only want to listen to music, watch video, DVD, chat and browse the internet, I don't need a bloated Windows install (Yes I'm admitting it, I don't need Windows.)
Now I came over here to get info on Ubuntu, or maybe even LinuxICE. I know that Ubuntu can be used off a USB Thumb Drive, I saw it done on SYSTM the TV show that has the former host of the show from channel TechTV (which G4 raped and destroyed).
1) Will Ubuntu play nice with having to use devices on my main Windows 7 setup? I want the other units to be able to access the DVD Rom, Media Drive, and 3G Modem. I am thinking that because I will be using Internet Sharing on the main system, Ubuntu will just connect as though its connected directly. Will I have issues with DVD Rom, and the Media Drive?
2) Can LinuxICE be run off a USB thumbdrive?
3) Will Linux use any other devices connected to it. Say someone decides they want to use their iPod or Zune or a web cam on their system, would it be plug and play? If not will it be easy for me to set it up so it works?
4) Can I use Linux in a EWF type mode? Basically I want Linux to write to RAM and only read from the thumbdrive. I want this to be done so that the drive lasts longer. Alot of writing will kill the drive faster.
5) Is it easy to customize a skin? I know you will hate me, but I want to create a skin that looks similar to the skin I use in Centrafuse. I want a consistent look. Basically when I turn on the unit, all I want to see is icons that show Media, Video, DVD and Internet, thats it. No other info is required or needed. Maybe an area that shows time and stuff, but thats it.
6) What hardware should I go with? The motherboards I am using are 1.6 single core atoms. What I am not sure is how much RAM i should use. I was thinking 2GB will be fine (thats the boards max) but do I really need that much? Remember I would like to write to RAM. So maybe 1GB for system and 1GB for Writing? I know Linux isn't aggressive with system usage so what do you guys think I will need for a fairly speedy system. What thumbdrive is recommend. I know the faster the write and read, the better. What size should I get though? How much does Linux use? i was thinking 2GB should be enough.
7) How does Linux use devices. One devioce, the touchscreen, has to be able to be disconnected and reconnected without issue. Thats how the KVMP does it. I know woth Windows it isnt an issue, but will it with Linux?
8) I see that Ubuntu has so much I can do.... it has alot of add ons. Is LinuxIce the same way?
9) What else should I know?
Any help would be appreciated.