Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Just another reason to use Linux on CarPC's

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate lerandell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ennis,TX.
    Posts
    316

    Just another reason to use Linux on CarPC's

    I found this while browsing the news.

    Microsoft plans to include new ways to protect video content in the next version of its Windows desktop operating system (OS) in an effort to position the OS as a platform for home digital entertainment systems.


    http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/...-SEC2005-09-12
    Randell Kelly

  2. #2
    Para Laura thanatos106's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Miami Beach,FL U.S.A
    Posts
    3,497
    Just another reason no to upgrade to VISTA and stick with XP hehehe

    Thanatos.
    RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

    Nissan Aux-in MOD


    Quote Originally Posted by bgoodman
    We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

  3. #3
    pkg
    pkg is offline
    Low Bitrate pkg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    96
    <rant>

    Vista has HUGE system requirements. recommended 2G RAM, a 256M Video card w/fast GPU, 2G processor, SATA 2.

    Reason for the huge video requirements: rendering in vector graphics vs. bitmap. So the Recycle Bin will look pretty.

    I hope it is true that this system will push Microsoft out of it's own market as this OS will run like crap on today's median hardware.

    I am unhappy with these requirements as a Network Administrator. I dont want a system with a 5" fan on the graphics card that I have to maintain. I dont want 75% of my system resources going towards rendering the desktop or file indexing. Hell, I wouldn't even run my windows servers with a GUI if it were possible.

    Think of how much more Linux will be able to do on the same hardware that vista requires.

    </rant>
    -pkg

    Check out my tC: http://publicjestering.com/tc
    Check out my site: http://publicjestering.com

  4. #4
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    About Vista requirements...


    I have actually tried the vista beta 2, I have even used the thing with 512Mb in VMWare and that works fine so I do not know where the 2GB RAM comes from??
    The beta has still a lot of debug code which will be taken out when it is time for RTM so I would not worry to much about the huge processor/RAM needs...
    /L-O

  5. #5
    pkg
    pkg is offline
    Low Bitrate pkg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    96
    I was getting a little exagerated there. Vista will run on an average system, after disabling the vector rendering and other fancy stuff (but then you just have windows XP..).

    http://www.apcstart.com/teched/pivot/entry.php?id=6

    Here is an article explaining the "recommended" requirements for Vista. This is coming from a MS top strategist. He is really stressing duel-core chips, 2G RAM for 64bit, SATA-2 w/NCQ, PCI-express. These are the recommendations for Battlefield 2... This will be one hell of a game of Solitare .
    -pkg

    Check out my tC: http://publicjestering.com/tc
    Check out my site: http://publicjestering.com

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate intuitionsys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    293
    Okay I'll chime in:

    1) Linux is more fun and gives us an excuse to feel better than everyone else which of course we are

    2) I don't want to have to install a Mr. Fusion in my trunk area to run my rediculously overpowered carputer.

    3) I don't compose documentation, code software, or play MS Flight Simulator (except while driving ) on my carputer. Point: if you spend that much time in your car you either have some idolotry issues you may want to consult someone about, or you are a geek. I'm a geek but I have a life

    4) I want to play MP3s mainly and watch the occasional movie (except at night when the fuzz can see the screen on my dash). I don't need a dual ATI x800 PCIx in a dual P4 rackmount server with 4 GB of RAM to watch a movie (unless of course you're using Windows Media Player). My setup actually does alot more than that and I still don't need the aforementioned cray substitute.

    5) Open source apps and SDKs got me from absolutely nothing to an absolute killer carputer in about 4 months, even with coding my own software. How many nerds can say they have vsftpd running in their car? Bragging rights like that are priceless. Of course if you have to ask what vsftpd is then you obviously wouldn't be impressed and should go back to your game of Solitaire.

    6) I rather enjoy being an elitist prick when it comes to bashing Windows, even if it has no foundation in reality whatsoever. It's just fun being a jerk to people when they don't even realize you're making fun of them.

    7) Well the project I'm working on has finished compiling and I should get back to work so I can enjoy my ride home watching one of the movies on my reiserfs-formatted hard drive.

    Important note: If you immediately took offense to this e-mail you need to re-examine your priorities, sit back, relax, and enjoy life. Afterall it's only a carputer! Oh and leave the cool stuff to us Linux people

    Hooyeah!

  7. #7
    Maximum Bitrate Change's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by intuitionsys
    2) I don't want to have to install a Mr. Fusion in my trunk area to run my rediculously overpowered carputer.
    Hear hear! I want to install a Mr. Fusion in my trunk because I can, not because I have to

    (Whee, working on the latest build of my Debian-based car PC, and feeling a bit goofy...forgive my insane ramblings!)

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate kbyrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    485
    Two comments:

    I support loscooby's assertion that the Vista beta runs with less resources. I also have run it in VMware with 512MB.


    Quote Originally Posted by intuitionsys
    or you are a geek. I'm a geek but I have a life
    It's interesting that I DIDN'T chose Linux for this very reason. Sure, I'll probably go back to Linux on my car PC after I've installed it an have been running for a while, but I want an installation/fabrication project right now, not (another) software project. I tried several Linux frontends and I found nothing that suited my needs. Several projects are almost there, and could easily be if I invested some time coding. I would rather have my carPC installed and working now.
    My worklog.
    Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate intuitionsys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by kbyrd
    It's interesting that I DIDN'T chose Linux for this very reason. Sure, I'll probably go back to Linux on my car PC after I've installed it an have been running for a while, but I want an installation/fabrication project right now, not (another) software project. I tried several Linux frontends and I found nothing that suited my needs. Several projects are almost there, and could easily be if I invested some time coding. I would rather have my carPC installed and working now.
    Good point. I kinda got off on the software aspect of mine because that's what I do for a living. I'll probably open source my project eventually since as you say (and I agree) so many are unfinished (or difficult to get working). I'll still be coding small upgrades and changes, probably ad infinitum, but now I'm in your boat getting ready to fabricate a piece for my dash to integrate a gamepad. I'm using an X10 Lola remote that works great but it's kinda awkward to use while driving.

  10. #10
    Maximum Bitrate kbyrd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    485
    Quote Originally Posted by intuitionsys
    Good point. I kinda got off on the software aspect of mine because that's what I do for a living.
    I'm a code monkey in real life too.

    The problem for me was that I seem to have a certain number of "coding hours" in me per week, if I don't use them all up (at work or on personal projects) I get ansy. If I do more coding then that I get burnt. I just couldn't get excited about yet another software project on my plate. I also rationalized the decision to stick with known-good frontends on Windows by saying I would better be able to craft a Linux solution (or extend an existing project) after living with a carPC for a while.
    My worklog.
    Status: VM GTI sold, got out of the CarPC tinkering hobby, but I still think about getting back in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. New Frontend for Windows and Linux
    By gbr in forum Other Cool Front Ends
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 08:55 PM
  2. Possible EPIA distro for Linux, Can we make one?
    By adamis in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 05:50 PM
  3. Linux Login, UPS and Linux Touch Screen
    By polc1410 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 10:43 AM
  4. The LOW Risk Linux Adventure...
    By grepzen in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 09:12 PM
  5. PS2 Linux -- check it out
    By Superfly in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 11:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •