Interesting jump in stability
I've modified the powersave scripts on my system to bring down my frontend, any associated apps it may be running, then X, then a couple other key modules that are flakey when the system resumes. Of course it now takes a good 15 seconds more to resume but the difference in stability now is worth it.
Before I made the changes, the system would crash inexplicably on about every 10th resume from hibernation. Now it never ever crashes (at least not yet knock on wood :) )
The affected modules are ivtv and ati_remote and effectively the userspace X radeon driver with the restart of X. Most likely the cause is either the radeon kernel driver or the X radeon_drv.o driver but in any case I thought I'd throw that tidbit out here in case anyone is having similar problems.
Rather than putting the modules into the sysconfig entries for removal and reinsertion (because it wasn't making any difference) I put the necessary rmmod and kill entries at the very beginning of the the sleep function and the necessary modprobes in the resume function inside /usr/lib/powersave/scripts/sleep_helper_functions (that's where it is on a SuSE distro anyway).
Starting X on resume is more convoluted so I won't go into it unless anyone is curious how I did it (assuming I'm not the only one having this problem - in that case well I sucked and now I don't :p and this post serves only to inflate my ego knowing I finally got my system to stop it's weirdness :) albeit with a compromize of an extra 15 seconds).