Looking a little deeper, looks like it uses software by Naleperion, which from googling and using "strings" on the DLLs appears that not only does it do some modification to some dlls, but it's tagging a sector on the harddrive, think this is going to be out of my league.
I did try it on one of my XP boxes, looks good, too bad.
That's too bad. Looks like iGuidence3 is the winner. You could probably still use the maps for navit maybe...
Any pointers on how to do that?
Originally Posted by kev000
Sucks. I spent so many hours trying to get it to work. I suppose you might be able to find a "um" patch but I wish I went with my gut and bought v3.
Planning on a 6000+ mile trip coming up in a month or two, would be handy to have gps straightened out.
I use v3 under crossover, and it runs really smooth. Do I need street names to be pronounced with directions? NO! Not really. So far I used my navigation like twice only, it's too much of effort to port ig4. We would end up re-writing half of windows core to make it to work....
Yeah, I figured 4 would be just as easy, stupid me :(
Originally Posted by dupa2
As an aside, the TTS doesn't work even on my XP box.
I'm trying to get iGuidance 3 working in Linux. I've tried Wine and Crossover. iGuidance installs and it seems that most features work expect that it won't connect to my bluetooth GPS receiver.
After doing hciconfig hci0 up, changing rfcomm.conf, and doing a rfcomm connect rfcomm0, if I cat /dev/rfcomm0 I do see the information streaming from the GPS receiver.
So, I chmod a+rw rfcomm0 to give everyone read/write and then create a symlink for com1. In iGuidance it seems that when com1 is selected the app crashes out and seems to 'lock up' the bluetooth connection.
I had the same problem as you, and I finally figured out how to get it working just a couple of days ago in Ubuntu. The problem lies within kernel32.dll in the code for the COM ports, "comm.c". The code in "comm.c" for version 0.9.22 of Wine worked fine, but some changes were made for 0.9.23 that broke the COM ports for iGuidance. Unfortunately, 0.9.22 has other problems that make the UMPC version of iGuidance almost useless when it comes to the GUI interface. Version 0.9.54, on the other hand, renders most of the interface perfectly with Wine when working in virtual desktop emulation mode. There are some cosmetic errors on some of the dialog boxes in 0.9.54, but they don't interfere with usability at all.
Originally Posted by y2b4sure
My solution was to take the "comm.c" file from the source code of version 0.9.22 code and drop it in the place of the "comm.c" file in the current version. I then compiled the software into a .deb package and installed it. iGuidance now works almost perfectly under Wine.
I downloaded the source code for 0.9.22 from Sourceforge.net, and I extracted "comm.c" from the "wine-0.9.22/dlls/kernel32" directory of the archive file. I then followed instructions I found on a web page to download the source code from a repository using apt-get. Once the source code for 0.9.54 was downloaded, I simply copied the "comm.c" file I extracted earlier over the current version of the file and compiled Wine following the rest of the instructions on that page.
Wow!!! I'm over the moon, I'd given up getting a response, but in the end I got a very detailed one :)
Originally Posted by concertedrxn
I hadn't had the time to pursue this, but I did guess that one of the com port files might be bad in some way, I thought it would have been setupcomm (that's from memory it might have a slightly different name), so I'm glad you worked it out, v cool.
Thanks for taking the trouble to write down your steps. I have been trying to follow your steps and I do end up with a package, but it won't install. I'll keep trying, but I'm wondering if you could send me the package that you made?
What distribution of Linux are you using and what version? You would need Ubuntu 7.10 to make use of the .deb file I created. It might install on an older version of Ubuntu or another Debian derivative, but there's a good chance of a dependency problem.
What error are you getting when you try to install the package you built?
I'm using an EEEPC, which is Xandros based, which is a fork of Debian, so I'm not using Ubuntu. I've been trying to some different things today and I think I am getting closer.
Originally Posted by concertedrxn
I managed to get the comm.c file from v22 into v25, compiled and installed, but the GUI was still screwed in that version. I used v25 as that was the latest version in the repositories that I had, but I've just remembered that I added the wine specific repositories the last time I had Wine installed, I think back then I had v46 and the GUI was good in that one.
If I don't follow your instructions to download the latest version from a source repository and just download the source for the latest version from Source Forge, I don't have any success, otherwise I'd just download the latest Debian (not Ubuntu) source for wine.
I'll keep plugging away!!