So, I've got a Holux GR-213, I tried running gpsviewer.exe under wine and it detects the GPS fine. So I'm gonna guess it's a dll issue somewhere, or something missing in the registry.
Damn. So CLOSE!
and now it detects the port and baud, but it still isn't reading, but it doesn't give an error either. Hmmm
After some debugging, it looks like the problem is a known issue with USB serials under wine. It looks like one (or both) of two things.
A The driver for the Prolific PL2303 (which my Holux uses) doesn't support the TIOCGICOUNT ioctl (has a *TODO* in the driver)
B. fixme:comm:set_queue_size insize 1024 outsize 256 unimplemented stub in wine. Another todo.
I'm tempted to get a serial GPS to test it as I actually have a real serial port. Other than that, it seems to work great. I don't care for the voice so much as it doesn't really do anything except say the street name.
Hmmm. Not giving up that easy. As the GR-213 comes in both serial and usb flavors, I was hoping the PL2303 was separate or at least easy to get at the RX/TX but it looks like no.
I cut up my GPS, and while it still works, it sure is ugly. Yeah, no way I'm going to get bypass that PL2303.
I think I'll order a BR-355 with serial and the RS232/PS2 cable and try that and see if I have any luck with a real serial connection. I really would like this to work.
Hmm, the GR-213 comes in both flavors too, I see the empty pins on the the cable connector, I'll bet they are RS-232 TX&RX. Maybe I'll try and hack it tommorrow and see if it works.
Well, trying to rewire the Holux didn't work, I think it would, but I think I need to throw a level converter (like a MAX232) as it looks like it's 3.3v for the PL2303hx.
Anyway, I ordered the BR-355 serial version, it just came today, I hooked it up and...
SUCCESS! It seems pretty stable, except for the audio, it's causing random lock ups, when it's muted, they go away, though here and there, I'll see a quick flash when it's changing views while routing.
So as far as audio, no matter what I do using Alsa configuration-wise, it will lock up, no matter what the TTS settings are too. Some times longer, some times shorter.
So I do a little research and WineHQ notes that if you're using gnome, that you probably should try the OSS Driver, even though it's not as up to date as the Also.
So I try that and everything works fine, of course for one thing (***** isn't it always?), Auto-DAC (my front-end) needs Alsa. Though oddly, it takes IG4 longer to crash when my app is running.
So I figure I'll just install KDE (which I was planning to do anyway), same problem. This sucks. This whole project (the entire PC) has been four years of mutually exclusive dependencies. Anyway....
As an aside, it IG4 seems to run better under Gnome, occasionally on KDE, the screen glitches and looks "selected", it can stay in that state for quite a bit.
Well isn't it awesome, I mistakenly typed wineconfig, instead inf winecfg, Ctrl-C, and somehow, the audio is now toast. The dmix device is gone from WineCFG, I Complete re-install of wine, IG4 and it appears to fix it, but the only app that doesn't work? IG4 TTS !@$@#%R@
Well, after hours and hours, I finally fixed it. Basically something that worked out of the box with no explicit configuration, now works after hours of manual configuration. I don't know what KDE did to it.
And as far as the random lockups, I think I found the answer 940
Cool man, I may attempt this again. I have iG3 running under wine w/ubuntu hardy, and it works great. I had an issue as well with my usb GPS, but was fixed by running an older version of wine (0.9.54 I believe).
I would love to have ig4 and TTS enabled.
Crazy find on the random lockups btw. Impressive. :)
I've always had a bit of zen like that. ;)
Originally Posted by Tidder
Though after changing sample rates, and buffers, the error margin wasn't as consistent, but at least now I know where in the code it is, but I'll tell you, I REALLY don't want to learn all about the innards of Wine. I don't mind a little patch here or there, but this is getting ridiculous the amount of things I have to do to get stuff to work, every time there's an update. Like the TS is out now out cause evtouch changed how it worked, which would be a relatively quick fix, except hours in, I can't get it to make, even the vanilla version. Some problem or dependency with X's imake, no helpful warnings or anything.
If you have a Holux or a GPS based on a PL2303, you'll probably not be able to use it with IG4 until someone adds that ioctl to the driver.
Yeah, mine is based on PL2303 (BU-353), which was the reasoning behind rolling back to wine 0.9.54. Something changed after that ver, and nobody has seemed to care. I've seen it reported a few times as a bug at winhq, but no action has been taken. Apparently it's not a big deal. ;)