Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Recomended GPS Receiver For Navit?

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate locs4dayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    507

    Cool Recomended GPS Receiver For Navit?

    Kev...could you recommend a suitable GPS receiver to use with Navit for best results?

    Thanks in advance!!!
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
    Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

  2. #2
    licensed to kill - FKA kev000
    Auto Apps:loading...
    tripzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    16.40618, 120.61106
    Posts
    2,494
    bu 535 works great. you can get it in the mp3car store. If you really want a nice one, there are some ublox ones on sparkfun. but those will require some effort to get working. idk if they even have usb ones yet.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

  3. #3
    Newbie GatorGolfer11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    On the Space Coast(Florida)
    Posts
    19
    did you mean the bu-353? that is the device I have. Is there anything special that i need to do to set it up, or should it just work? I'm not getting any thing right now, and i've changed the gps mode in nghost.conf to 1, 2, and 3.

    EDIT: I am now receiving signal, and the gps has locked onto my location. I used gps_mode=1. My question now is how do I set destination points? As a note, the tools icon within Navit doesn't do anything, every time I try to zoom out it just resets to the default zoom level, and it randomly says that I'm moving (up to 17 kpm).

  4. #4
    licensed to kill - FKA kev000
    Auto Apps:loading...
    tripzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    16.40618, 120.61106
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorGolfer11 View Post
    did you mean the bu-353? that is the device I have. Is there anything special that i need to do to set it up, or should it just work? I'm not getting any thing right now, and i've changed the gps mode in nghost.conf to 1, 2, and 3.

    EDIT: I am now receiving signal, and the gps has locked onto my location. I used gps_mode=1. My question now is how do I set destination points? As a note, the tools icon within Navit doesn't do anything, every time I try to zoom out it just resets to the default zoom level, and it randomly says that I'm moving (up to 17 kpm).
    yes, bu-353 is what I meant. I have one and it works decently. If you want a spectacular one, get a ublox-based one.

    IIRC gps_mode=1 means you are getting a crappy signal, which also accounts for why you are moving at 17kph . Navit has some usability issues. zooming works if you don't move (which you are moving while standing still because of your signal quality). Once you move, navit takes zoom and position control from you. I may try to grab a later version and try it out. It's quite annoying...
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate locs4dayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    507
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
    Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

  6. #6
    licensed to kill - FKA kev000
    Auto Apps:loading...
    tripzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    16.40618, 120.61106
    Posts
    2,494
    sure. looks fine to me.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

  7. #7
    SuperMod - OBDII GPS Logger forum
    Auto Apps:loading...

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    924
    I have one of those globalsat devices. Works fine, I just find bluetooth to be a crappy way to go.

    Batteries suck, and if you're going to leave it permanantly plugged in [it has a mini usb port], then you may as well skip the bluetooth middleman and get a bu353 [which is what I actually use all the time]

    Gary (-;
    OBDGPSLogger, for logging OBDII and/or GPS data
    OBDSim, an OBDII/ELM327 software simulator
    mp3car forums: obdgpslogger, obdsim

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate locs4dayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkyks View Post
    I have one of those globalsat devices. Works fine, I just find bluetooth to be a crappy way to go.

    Batteries suck, and if you're going to leave it permanantly plugged in [it has a mini usb port], then you may as well skip the bluetooth middleman and get a bu353 [which is what I actually use all the time]

    Gary (-;


    Decided to go with the masses and just purchased a BU-353. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. Hope its all that the hype has it to be....stay tuned!!
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
    Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate locs4dayz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    507
    Quick question...does navit use both male or female voices? Can you change from one to the other if it does?
    Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
    Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

  10. #10
    licensed to kill - FKA kev000
    Auto Apps:loading...
    tripzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    16.40618, 120.61106
    Posts
    2,494
    Quote Originally Posted by locs4dayz View Post
    Quick question...does navit use both male or female voices? Can you change from one to the other if it does?
    navit uses either flite or espeak for voice synth (or in LinuxICE's case, nvoicesynth). All support different voices and at least espeak supports multi-languages as well.
    Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
    Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
    Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question on Garmin 16 GPS receiver
    By cproaudio in forum GPS
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 02:32 AM
  2. Holux GM-213 USB GPS Receiver, Good?
    By girbot in forum GPS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 12:35 AM
  3. New GPS receiver detcts Speedcams
    By ShawJohn in forum GPS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 11:00 AM
  4. Proper Installation of GPS Receiver
    By ummagawd in forum GPS
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 12:07 PM
  5. $69 12 channel GPS receiver - anyone tried this one?
    By LCDcrazy in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2001, 01:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •