Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: M2-ATX does not cut off power(hardoff)

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    10

    M2-ATX does not cut off power(hardoff)

    Hey guys, I have a problem that everyone seems not to have.

    Background: upgrading my jetway Motherboard to a new zotac ionitx-f-e motherboard. The M2-ATX works flawlessly with the jetway on P1
    (5s delay 45s hardoff). I'm using a 12V ac-dc adapter (rated at 6A, plenty of power), simulating ign with 12V switch. M2-ATX was purchased here, from the mp3car store around feb, 2008.

    Problem:

    (A) ign on, wait 5 seconds, computer turns on
    (B) ign off, wait 5 seconds, computer hibernates, then turns off
    (C) ign on, nothing happens

    Further testing:

    - computer draws at a peak when booting ~2.2A, ASSUME: ac-dc adapter isn't the problem

    - when m2-atx turns off (B), it is still drawing 100 mA after comp hibernates. ASSUME: is the 5VSB line still on.

    - 12 hours later, M2-ATX is still drawing ~100 mA. ASSUME: M2-ATX never cutting off all power.

    - If I unplug the ac-dc adapter (cutting off unswitched 12V to m2-atx), and ign on, it will boot up normally (A) but get stuck at (C).


    My conclusion:

    In the manual, where it states the mode of operation, the m2-atx is stuck right after sending a signal to mobo off.
    It is NOT turning off the 5VSB line after "hardoff" seconds (45s in my case). Therefore, not detecting a switch on the IGN.

    What's the deal? I thought M2-ATX will shut off all power DISREGARDING the state of the motherboard. It cuts off power on my jetway mobo (using only 7mA
    instead of 100mA), AND detects ign on after it shuts down.

    possible fixes?
    - bios settings? nothing in the bios ive changed helped
    - windows xp sp3 acting weird? upgrade to windows 7?
    - bad motherboard? works fine without m2-atx..
    - bad m2-atx? works fine with my jetway mobo..
    - motherboard keeping PS_ON or PS_OK signal on ATX power connector? I thought M2-ATX ignores the state of the motherboard for hardoff...

    Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am baffled... and outraged. Thanks

  2. #2
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by voidshado View Post
    Hey guys, I have a problem that everyone seems not to have.

    Background: upgrading my jetway Motherboard to a new zotac ionitx-f-e motherboard. The M2-ATX works flawlessly with the jetway on P1
    (5s delay 45s hardoff). I'm using a 12V ac-dc adapter (rated at 6A, plenty of power), simulating ign with 12V switch. M2-ATX was purchased here, from the mp3car store around feb, 2008.

    Problem:

    (A) ign on, wait 5 seconds, computer turns on
    (B) ign off, wait 5 seconds, computer hibernates, then turns off
    (C) ign on, nothing happens

    Further testing:

    - computer draws at a peak when booting ~2.2A, ASSUME: ac-dc adapter isn't the problem

    - when m2-atx turns off (B), it is still drawing 100 mA after comp hibernates. ASSUME: is the 5VSB line still on.

    - 12 hours later, M2-ATX is still drawing ~100 mA. ASSUME: M2-ATX never cutting off all power.

    - If I unplug the ac-dc adapter (cutting off unswitched 12V to m2-atx), and ign on, it will boot up normally (A) but get stuck at (C).


    My conclusion:

    In the manual, where it states the mode of operation, the m2-atx is stuck right after sending a signal to mobo off.
    It is NOT turning off the 5VSB line after "hardoff" seconds (45s in my case). Therefore, not detecting a switch on the IGN.

    What's the deal? I thought M2-ATX will shut off all power DISREGARDING the state of the motherboard. It cuts off power on my jetway mobo (using only 7mA
    instead of 100mA), AND detects ign on after it shuts down.

    possible fixes?
    - bios settings? nothing in the bios ive changed helped
    - windows xp sp3 acting weird? upgrade to windows 7?
    - bad motherboard? works fine without m2-atx..
    - bad m2-atx? works fine with my jetway mobo..
    - motherboard keeping PS_ON or PS_OK signal on ATX power connector? I thought M2-ATX ignores the state of the motherboard for hardoff...

    Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am baffled... and outraged. Thanks
    Having the exact same issue. Using a Zotac as well. Just hopped on here to see why I have a dead car battery.

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    10
    Still having issues where the m2-atx would sometimes work (like its supposed to) with the zotac, then 10 minutes later, same issues (I didn't touch a thing) so I emailed mini-box,

    the rep said the following:
    " You have a strange issue. I suggest to try another OS for the start. As both the motherboard and the psu work ok separately, i suppose the problem is not from one of them, maybe the OS or some incompatibility( never had with Zotac boards)."

    I am currently running windows xp sp3. Everything is running fine on XP, I do not want to switch (mostly because iguidance v4 would break). Anyone got an M2-ATX working with a zotac ion f-e board on xp or win7 or linux?

  4. #4
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    actually is .1a draw unusual? i think thats just what they draw while off.

    it actually seems to me like your motherboard is not set to wake up from hibernate via the power button. check your bios settings.

  5. #5
    Maximum Bitrate jmullan99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Niagara Falls, Ontario
    Posts
    679
    My M2 clone doesn't have this problem, but it DOES draw about 3ma after hibernate. The LEDs are still on on my USB hubs. I draw the 5V power for the hubs via a hard drive power connector, which I would have thought would cut off upon hibernate.

    Can somebody correct me?
    ZOTAC G43ITX-A-E 2.5ghz Core i3 2GB 160GB SSD
    Win7 Ultimate - OpenMobile - Directed HD - Wifi
    OMMaps + MS GPS Puck - WiFi via LTE Android phone
    2 Zones - Matrix Orbital LCD - Arduino - Build Pics

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    10
    @ jmullan99, actually 3 mA after hibernate is rather good. I'm assuming that's the current draw for the LEDs. The idle current for the m2atx (Off, waiting for ign to turn on) is about 7 mA. Interesting to see how the m2atx clone is more efficient!

    trader007 is right.
    ATX certified power supplies leave the 5VSB (up to 100mA. Which will drain my battery within the weekend) on so that the mobo can still sense a power switch push (not so for 'intelligent' automotive power supplies like the m2-atx). Also, its not my bios setting since I was able to wake it back up with another power switch successfully.

    Unfortunately, my power problems are still unresolved.

  7. #7
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by voidshado View Post
    @ jmullan99, actually 3 mA after hibernate is rather good. I'm assuming that's the current draw for the LEDs. The idle current for the m2atx (Off, waiting for ign to turn on) is about 7 mA. Interesting to see how the m2atx clone is more efficient!

    trader007 is right.
    ATX certified power supplies leave the 5VSB (up to 100mA. Which will drain my battery within the weekend) on so that the mobo can still sense a power switch push (not so for 'intelligent' automotive power supplies like the m2-atx). Also, its not my bios setting since I was able to wake it back up with another power switch successfully.

    Unfortunately, my power problems are still unresolved.
    To all of you having power problems, I believe my custom code is a solution. I have verified that it will perform the offdelay and hard-off functions properly as well as having an improved battery voltage monitoring scheme. Check it out in this thread and let me know if you are interested in buying a preprogrammed PIC to update your M2:

    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/m2-a...tionality.html

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate jmullan99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Niagara Falls, Ontario
    Posts
    679
    Quote Originally Posted by voidshado View Post
    @ jmullan99, actually 3 mA after hibernate is rather good. I'm assuming that's the current draw for the LEDs. The idle current for the m2atx (Off, waiting for ign to turn on) is about 7 mA. Interesting to see how the m2atx clone is more efficient!
    Interesting indeed. But.....

    Quote Originally Posted by voidshado
    trader007 is right.
    ATX certified power supplies leave the 5VSB (up to 100mA. Which will drain my battery within the weekend) on so that the mobo can still sense a power switch push (not so for 'intelligent' automotive power supplies like the m2-atx).
    ... at least on my clone, 5V is still alive since the LEDs are on. But 3ma would take quite a while drain a good battery.

    Quote Originally Posted by bluTDI09
    To all of you having power problems, I believe my custom code is a solution. I have verified that it will perform the offdelay and hard-off functions properly as well as having an improved battery voltage monitoring scheme.
    I would love to try your custom code. Alas the controller on the clone is soldered in. I'm sure I could take the time to disassemble the box, remove the PSU, carefully unsolder and remove it, solder in a socket, put in your controller and try it out. Even then the board is just different enough that it may not work. For instance, there are no jumpers (although it looks like there are pads where some could have gone). There is another connector along side the connector for the CPU power switch, it "may" be for an amp trigger, but I cannot know (it was not well documented).
    ZOTAC G43ITX-A-E 2.5ghz Core i3 2GB 160GB SSD
    Win7 Ultimate - OpenMobile - Directed HD - Wifi
    OMMaps + MS GPS Puck - WiFi via LTE Android phone
    2 Zones - Matrix Orbital LCD - Arduino - Build Pics

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    10
    Thanks for the offer blutdi09 but I think I just found my own solution using an arduino and running the m2atx in "dumb" psu mode. I have the arduino controlling other devices as well, so thanks again for the offer

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    40
    so .. is there a real solution for this ... about to buy a M2-ATX and a Zotac IONITX G-E...


    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. M2 atx J8 busted?
    By Project_330CI in forum M2-ATX
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 03:29 AM
  2. Another M2 ATX problem please help!
    By zoned019 in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
  3. M2 ATX questions
    By VonBillion in forum M2-ATX
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2009, 03:48 PM
  4. M2 atx possible problem
    By millsy in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-25-2007, 08:05 AM
  5. Did I break my M2 ATX?
    By CelicaGTS in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 04:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •