Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Can a M4-ATX be set in dumby mode?

  1. #1
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603

    Can a M4-ATX be set in dumby mode?

    I have 6 PC units going in the back. They have built in PSUs to regulate 5V and 12V power. In saying that the MoBos use a brick to power them. My idea was to use a M4-ATX in dumby mode to use only the 12V rail. My main PSU (Opus 320) triggers a relay which turns on the M4-ATX.

    What I want to know is can the M4-ATX be set in dumby mode? What I mean is kinda like what we do with PSU desktop blocks for powering the 12V rail so we can test our car PSUs.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  2. #2
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    i have no idea about what youre asking... but 6 pc's in a car? im just mind-blowing myself trying to figure what the hell youre doing with all that, but im sure its awesome

  3. #3
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    according to the manual, all the switches should be off (pushed up) for standard mode.

    and don't worry trader007-- he is just creating his own tiny little city...

  4. #4
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    according to the manual, all the switches should be off (pushed up) for standard mode.

    and don't worry trader007-- he is just creating his own tiny little city...
    HAHAHAHAHA, lol.... soundman98 is right. I am trying to power a trans dimensional warp drive so I can drive to the lost city of Atlantis, where I will become immortal, come back with the city and take over the world.

    LOL.... all joking a side, I decided to install a PC for each seat. That way if they don't want to use the main PC, they have the option of hitting a button and switching over to a personal system that has headphone jack and all. Its just my way of over killing my setup to get attention, LOL. If you want to see recent pictures, check out the last page of the work log. I have finally got my grove back, so I am starting to work on my Car PC again.

    So soundman98..... When they are all pushed up, will the ignition wire still work. What I am trying to do is have the OPUS tied to the ignition wire of the M4-ATX so it triggers the M4 to turn on. From the manual, it does not look like it will turn on using the trigger wire. What I am thinking is this:





    See the pictures show what I am trying to do. My logic is saying is that if I do it this way, it will come on with the trigger because it will think the mobo is there. Only thing is, is that its the off I am worried about. i am scared that the PSU will stay on even though ignition has been removed. I guess the worst case scenario is that when the PSU thinks the MoBo isnt powering off, it will simply Hard-Off itself. Thing is I don't know enough about the PSU to know how it works.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  5. #5
    MySQL Error soundman98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    on the border of northern IL/IN
    Posts
    5,848
    i think i understand how you want to set it up, and if minibox had upped their quality standards long ago, i would still have one to test with(the one i had originally ordered was doa, so i got a dsatx)...

    instead, i have a dsatx, so i must resort to the manual, and guessing...

    i know it sounds like i am @ss, but again, according to the manual(ok, according to miniboxes poor interpretation of a manual..)

    "P0: In this mode, the M4-ATX behaves like a regular ATX power supply. If J6 is
    connected to the motherboard, M4-ATX will also send a gratuitous “ON pulse” to the
    motherboard right after power is first applied."

    according to that, it seems like it will use the ignition line to turn on and off, but the manual is skimpy at best, so it is imposible to tell...

    otherwise, i am under the assumption from some of the other vague statements in the 'manual' that you might be able to use the usb cable connection to create a custom startup/shutdown sequence...

  6. #6
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    lmao. i figured it was for a separate computer at each seat, but i thought that was crazy. so im not sure why it wasnt obvious.

    sounds like fun though.

  7. #7
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    i think i understand how you want to set it up, and if minibox had upped their quality standards long ago, i would still have one to test with(the one i had originally ordered was doa, so i got a dsatx)...

    instead, i have a dsatx, so i must resort to the manual, and guessing...

    i know it sounds like i am @ss, but again, according to the manual(ok, according to miniboxes poor interpretation of a manual..)

    "P0: In this mode, the M4-ATX behaves like a regular ATX power supply. If J6 is
    connected to the motherboard, M4-ATX will also send a gratuitous “ON pulse” to the
    motherboard right after power is first applied."

    according to that, it seems like it will use the ignition line to turn on and off, but the manual is skimpy at best, so it is imposible to tell...

    otherwise, i am under the assumption from some of the other vague statements in the 'manual' that you might be able to use the usb cable connection to create a custom startup/shutdown sequence...
    I know in the manual it specifically says that the ignition will not work on P0. I may have to rethink the install. Maybe I should use relays to power on both PSU units. That way I can hook it up like in the pictures. These computers will not come on with the PSUs, you have to turn them on via a push button in the arm rest. I did this so they are not running all the time wasting power. I plan to use Win XP with EWF and HORM so that the information is writen to RAM and that way once power is turned off on the PSU, it doesnt matter if the PC is turned off suddenly.

    Quote Originally Posted by trader007 View Post
    lmao. i figured it was for a separate computer at each seat, but i thought that was crazy. so im not sure why it wasnt obvious.

    sounds like fun though.
    LOL, if you thought it, then it is most likely what I am trying to do. Its more of a project to see if its doable. I havent seen anyone do it this way and I think alot of overkill people that want to do it in the future can then have some sort of blue prints to go by. I want to be the first to do this, it will make my car unique which was the whole reason for the Car PC adventure.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  8. #8
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    i would like it. ideally theyre all networked and even KVM'd on a matrix or something... so you could use any pc at any monitor. thats a lot of friggin around, but it would mean that you have 6 chances of having one of those damn things fire up and work properly (sorry, this cold weather is playing stability games on mine ).

  9. #9
    Who am I? HiJackZX1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    6,603
    Quote Originally Posted by trader007 View Post
    i would like it. ideally theyre all networked and even KVM'd on a matrix or something... so you could use any pc at any monitor. thats a lot of friggin around, but it would mean that you have 6 chances of having one of those damn things fire up and work properly (sorry, this cold weather is playing stability games on mine ).
    That is too complicated. They are all networked via a switch. Basically the DVD ROM, Internet, and Media Drive will be shared with the main system. As far as the KVM, the future on that is uncertain. The main issue is will a touch screen work in place of a mouse. If it cant, then I am screwed, since I have already installed all the cabling and wires. All seats also have headphone jacks, and the KVM has built in audio selection too. So say for example the main system is playing a song you like, but you want to surf the net on PC 2, you have that option. I may go to Comp USA and pick up one of the KVM just to test. I am praying it will work though and that the KVM acts more like a hub rather then actually trying to find a specific item.
    Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

    1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
    4X MK808b
    3x Perixx Touchpads
    3x 7 inch Screens
    1X 7 inch motorized Screen
    1x Win 7 PC

  10. #10
    FLAC
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,322
    yeah it really is overdoing whats overdone. you would really need like a digital matrix kvm if they even make them... i dont know what im talking about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 09:02 PM
  2. FP Feature Requests
    By frodobaggins in forum FrodoPlayer
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 01:19 PM
  3. BASIC Stamp question
    By Banderon in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 08:33 AM
  4. ATX shutdown controller kit / assembled for sale
    By Mastero in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 01:33 PM
  5. More info on 800x480 mode for Xenarc...
    By InFix in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-27-2002, 08:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •