Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 57

Thread: Official AppleTV MacCar Thread

  1. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34
    As I stated back in the other thread, there are component cable to DVI adapters that are under $20. I'm not sure what the quality is, but this is deffinitely an option.

    Here is one on Shop.com that lists for $30 I posted this one since it's the only one I could link the image from
    6FT HDTV DVI Plug 24 + 5 to 3 X RCA Component Cable Adapter


    http://www.shop.com/op/~6FT_HDTV_DVI...8?sourceid=298

  2. #12
    Raw Wave shotgunefx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,800
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmgray View Post
    As I stated back in the other thread, there are component cable to DVI adapters that are under $20. I'm not sure what the quality is, but this is deffinitely an option.

    Here is one on Shop.com that lists for $30 I posted this one since it's the only one I could link the image from
    6FT HDTV DVI Plug 24 + 5 to 3 X RCA Component Cable Adapter


    http://www.shop.com/op/~6FT_HDTV_DVI...8?sourceid=298
    Don't think that will work onless one of the LCDs accept YpbPr component video.

    BTW, monoprice has them for $5 USD
    monoprice

  3. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmgray View Post
    As I stated back in the other thread, there are component cable to DVI adapters that are under $20. I'm not sure what the quality is, but this is deffinitely an option.

    Here is one on Shop.com that lists for $30 I posted this one since it's the only one I could link the image from
    6FT HDTV DVI Plug 24 + 5 to 3 X RCA Component Cable Adapter


    http://www.shop.com/op/~6FT_HDTV_DVI...8?sourceid=298
    Asked something like that in other thread, this was the ans

    This will not work. This adapter will only work with DVI-I outputs, where the analog signal is physically present. The first adapter you refer to (HDMI->DVI) gives you digital-only DVI-D.
    So i guess if that DVI converts digital signal to analog, we would be set.

    ALSO another limitation.... CD/DVD Drive, is the USB enough to power all these add ons (as mentioned) ESEPECIALLY a drive?

    This has got to work!

  4. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11
    Oh and now...

    Don't even have to hack in the box to install OS X...
    http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/04/...ning-the-case/

    This is another reason why more USB ports would really make this viable

  5. #15
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    34
    ^ it would be great to have more USB posts on the ATV, but from the sounds of it, to hack it to boot from USB device you also need a keyboard

    "Booting from USB requires booting the Apple TV as nromal then holding ‘menu’ and ‘-’ keys on the remote to initiate a restore boot. From there it takes a bit of timing, Turbo explains, “If I hold down menu and - from poweron until the first screen flash, I believe that it does the equivalent of cmd-opt-p-r. I only got it to boot from USB by releasing it at that point, then hitting it again just before the screen flashes on the second reset.”

    So it sounds like you can boot from usb stick connected to a usb hub that has a keyboard attached.

  6. #16
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2
    I posted this in the other thread:
    -------------------------------------

    for what its worth, I bought an appletv yesterday and hooked it up to a DVI computer monitor with an HDMI>DVI adapter.

    I'm planning on installing it in a car, I too am wondering what LCD will work

  7. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3
    I'm planning on installing the apple tv in my car and I took a few photos of it hooked up to my navi screen. You can see the rest by clicking on My Photos.


  8. #18
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by krburrell View Post
    I'm planning on installing the apple tv in my car and I took a few photos of it hooked up to my navi screen. You can see the rest by clicking on My Photos.

    Wow! what did u use???

    I'm a little confused..... ur planning on installing? or did u already?

  9. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Omarvelous View Post
    Wow! what did u use???

    I'm a little confused..... ur planning on installing? or did u already?
    I just hooked it up to see if it would work and to see how it looked. It's not installed.

    I used the Audio Authority 9A65 Component Video to RGB Converter to hook it up to the screen.

  10. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by krburrell View Post
    I just hooked it up to see if it would work and to see how it looked. It's not installed.

    I used the Audio Authority 9A65 Component Video to RGB Converter to hook it up to the screen.
    Gotcha!

    ur the man! looks like $180, which isn't toooo bad.... Wish these things were cheaper!!

    The Component to Composite is near $500.

    $200 for the HDMI to DVI-I....

    What screen is that ur using also?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Official 7th Gen Civic Thread
    By Maheriano in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 05:51 PM
  2. Freeway (CCFR) Official Thread
    By oeri in forum Freeway
    Replies: 586
    Last Post: 08-29-2006, 10:24 PM
  3. HaveThread tools, etc, at the bottom of thread
    By Rafster in forum Mp3car Forum Suggestions/Comments
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 07:04 AM
  4. Official requests thread
    By coyote in forum MediaCar
    Replies: 224
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 12:09 AM
  5. Official Suck Up to Coyote Thread
    By SjLucky in forum MediaCar
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 02:21 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •