Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: iPhone based carputer?

  1. #21
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,045
    Quote Originally Posted by DocNupe View Post
    Sigh....... who doesn't know about the Apple purchase and the GUI from Xerox? Do you know how much Apple paid for it, I do. Next topic, you keep your treo, ROFL at you, whatever, I will stick to having an iphone
    . For the life of me I can't figure why you have so many unproductive post (almost 8k), but after reading your last 2 I know why. Why don't you try and post something useful, if you can...... Anyway thanks for contributing to the Mac Community and the topic of having an iphone as a car computer... Don't let the door hit you on the way out
    If you purchase something, doesnt mean you made it...

    And I dont use a treo, I use an HTC phone that does circles around other phones like yours. And I use OSX... Barely, but it is on my desktop and laptop, havent needed to in a while.

    There is a difference between someone who can see things objectively and actually see the flaws like myself, and someone who uses it just because it is apple like yourself.

    Where in my above analysis was I wrong? I wasnt, it is correct. You know that, so you came back with a personal insult because you know deep down inside you are wrong, but Jobs has you in a trance.

    I am not bashing the iPhone because of made up flaws like the "$1200 price" or whatever it is, because yes that is a false statement. I am using the actual flaws and you dont like it.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  2. #22
    Low Bitrate DocNupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    If you purchase something, doesnt mean you made it...

    And I dont use a treo, I use an HTC phone that does circles around other phones like yours. And I use OSX... Barely, but it is on my desktop and laptop, havent needed to in a while.

    There is a difference between someone who can see things objectively and actually see the flaws like myself, and someone who uses it just because it is apple like yourself.

    Where in my above analysis was I wrong? I wasnt, it is correct. You know that, so you came back with a personal insult because you know deep down inside you are wrong, but Jobs has you in a trance.

    I am not bashing the iPhone because of made up flaws like the "$1200 price" or whatever it is, because yes that is a false statement. I am using the actual flaws and you don't like it.
    wow, i knew you couldn't drop it and move one.. Keep it up you might reach 10k post. I use things because I enjoy them, and the topic was USING AN IPHONE AS THE FOUNDATION OF A CAR PC' and yes it does work, actually works very well in my X5 and my 330i. Any further discussion about what you like or dislike use or don't use does not even belong on this thread.....

  3. #23
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,045
    Quote Originally Posted by DocNupe View Post
    "issues: Tiny screen, Horrible GPS, Non Expandable, Low Storage"

    Largest screen for a cell phone that I can recall (3.5 inches (diagonal)
    Screen resolution 480 by 320 pixels (163 ppi)), GPS hardware is fine, actually it is the software that is in development and bidding war with AT&T (google is your friend), non Expandable, hmmn it is an ipod with a phone attached, Low Storage, 16 gigs, is enough to play how many songs....? I bet it holds more than a 12 Disc CD changer right? What about a 12 Disc DVD changer in addition to the CD changer? I bet the phone still holds more video and music than a 24 Disc car stereo
    Since you edited, I will answer this.

    Tiny Screen... You said yourself, 480x320. My second to last phone ran WM2003 so yeah it is an old one, had a full colour VGA capable screen that was crisp and clear. Why have a 17" LCD that only runs 800x600 when you can have a 12" screen with 1600x1200... Resoltuion makes it or breaks, it and in this case it breaks it.

    Hardware is useless without software support. Unless you can somehow communicate with that GPS chip telepathically. And if you can, then hands down you win. I would buy any phone I could communicate with telepathically.

    16Gb is pittence. I have flash drives bigger than that. I have 16Gb of 80's music alone. In the days of 1Tb drives, 16Gb is pretty damn low. It would be ok if you could upgrade it say with an expansion port.

    Also I should make the point, that this entire thread is in reference to having an iPhone be a CarPC.

    My post that you quoted out of context, was in reference to that.

    In the context I meant originally:

    3.5" non-VGA screen versus 7-10 inch VGA/SVGA/XVGA screen readily available in the car
    GPS again is useless in the car without good software. Some PC programs do it well, and much better than the iPhone.
    And 16Gb to store a full CarPC's worth of music, videos, nav maps (which are 4Gb by themselves) is just waaay to small to be functional.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  4. #24
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,045
    Quote Originally Posted by DocNupe View Post
    wow, i knew you couldn't drop it and move one.. Keep it up you might reach 10k post. I use things because I enjoy them, and the topic was USING AN IPHONE AS THE FOUNDATION OF A CAR PC' and yes it does work, actually works very well in my X5 and my 330i. Any further discussion about what you like or dislike use or don't use does not even belong on this thread.....
    I only replied because you did... Fanboys of anything annoy me. Especially ones that cant see the truth.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  5. #25
    Low Bitrate DocNupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
    I only replied because you did... Fanboys of anything annoy me. Especially ones that cant see the truth.
    Truth????? A biased "subjective" assesment at best. But then again, you sound semi intelligent, maybe you should know the difference...

    myminirocks I will post pics and a video later of my iphone install. I can play music through the Factory BMW sound system using the DICE link, the music is muted when a call comes in, the Picture stored in the address book allows me to see who is calling, and I use a Bluetooth headset to answer the call. As for the GPS part of it, I would give it a few months to see what comes from Tom Tom, and AT&T, as far as turn by turn. I can tell you that this was a very viable option as a car computer, for what I needed. In addition there is software that will allow voice commands to the phone through the bluetooth headset to Dial certain numbers, find locations on the GPS, and even change itunes tracks and play lists

  6. #26
    Fusion Brain Creator 2k1Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colorado, but Canadian!
    Posts
    10,045
    Quote Originally Posted by DocNupe View Post
    Truth????? A biased "subjective" assesment at best. But then again, you sound semi intelligent, maybe you should know the difference...
    What is subjective. I didnt put any opinion down other than "I dont like fanboys". All the stuff prior is still fact, and you havent answered.

    I already asked a mod to move our posts to OT, because I am genuinely interested to try and understand what you see is so great.

    I dont agree with some people, but I dont clam up and reject it. I try to understand what the big deal is. And you have failed at explaining anything thus far.

    I am still interested...
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

  7. #27
    Low Bitrate DocNupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    77
    cya....

  8. #28
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Take it to slashdot or something. Thread closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. BMW E46 Carputer based on CarX: aux in?
    By AzN_Tuan in forum Newbie
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2009, 12:05 AM
  2. Everything for a laptop based carputer
    By jbrown9709 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 08:36 PM
  3. carputer install: I dare you...
    By Cat Monkey in forum General MP3Car Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 05:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •