Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Alpine IVA-D310 + MAC MINI

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    0

    Alpine IVA-D310 + MAC MINI

    My first time posting here. I currently have an Alpine IVA-D310, w/ Alpine BlackBird II/docking gps. I plan on adding a mac mini to the IVA-D310 via rca audio/video inputs. The alpine is a touch screen to select sources but I know it will not have any capabilities of controlling the mac. The thing is I don't really care. I have looked at the touch screens this site has to offer, and no offense to anyone but man these things are ugly. If i can select the mac mini as a source i can still use keyboard and mighty mouse to control it, and volume via the head unit. So I have some questions for all of you seasoned professionals:
    1. Am I right that I can't control the mac mini via touchscreen on the
    head unit (i'm positive this wont work since it is simply connecting the
    video/audio out of mac mini to display on head unit screen)?
    2. An extension of the first question, is there any module/software i can
    add on to head unit that would enable me to control the mac mini
    rather than just viewing its output on the screen?
    3. I live in Iowa so its 90 - 110 in the summer, and -15-40 in the winter.
    Has anyone had any issues with moisture or cold/heat issues when
    operating a mac mini? If so, what is your resolution?
    4. Rather than using a bluetooth mouse in the car i would like to
    integrate a touchpad. I know this would be pretty advanced but is it
    possible to take an apple touchpad (part purchased straight from
    Apple) and connect it to mac mini? I would then flush mount it in
    center console.

    Let me know what you guys think, or of any advantages/disadvantages? Thanks for the help.

  2. #2
    Maximum Bitrate pepsibobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kaiserslautern Germany
    Posts
    648
    well i can only answer the first question: you will not be able to control your mini through the alpine.
    Cant code cause I dont know how, but give me the paint bucket and my eraser and have at you!

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate onepuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    184
    This works great for your touchpad ? I live in ohio and haven't had any problems with the temps.

    http://www.ergonomictouchpad.com/erg...FQNfFQodygy8JA

  4. #4
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by adammc View Post
    1. Am I right that I can't control the mac mini via touchscreen on the
    head unit (i'm positive this wont work since it is simply connecting the
    video/audio out of mac mini to display on head unit screen)?
    Correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by adammc View Post
    2. An extension of the first question, is there any module/software i can
    add on to head unit that would enable me to control the mac mini
    rather than just viewing its output on the screen?
    None that I am aware of.

    Quote Originally Posted by adammc View Post
    3. I live in Iowa so its 90 - 110 in the summer, and -15-40 in the winter.
    Has anyone had any issues with moisture or cold/heat issues when
    operating a mac mini? If so, what is your resolution?
    I haven't had any issues operating it in New York or Virginia for the past several years.

    Quote Originally Posted by adammc View Post
    4. Rather than using a bluetooth mouse in the car i would like to
    integrate a touchpad. I know this would be pretty advanced but is it
    possible to take an apple touchpad (part purchased straight from
    Apple) and connect it to mac mini? I would then flush mount it in
    center console.
    You can buy those mini touchpads and connect them via USB. This would solve your issue for number 1.

    Controlling your Mac via touchscreen isn't the best way to do it, IMHO. I've tried all types of controls and found that the simplest is the best. A rotary controller like the Griffin Powermate and a good front end that lets you scroll and select easily can't be beat.

    The problem with touch screen is that you have to look at it to operate it. A rotary controller allows you to scroll down without looking, pause without losing your place and glance at the screen, then select the right command or song.

    Others will have other opinions, but I've found a rotary controller to be the best for me. Try that and combine it with the trackpad for close-in work before working too hard on a touch solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    239
    I'm not sure if I overlooked it...but it would be possible for the mac to output video to the Alpine? Does anyone have an example of the picture quality this would produce?
    I really hate most of the touchscreens out there...and I have fallen in love with the new macbook. If I could get an alpine and have the best of all worlds...I would be in heaven.

  6. #6
    QCar Creator Jirka Jirout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by adammc View Post
    1. Am I right that I can't control the mac mini via touchscreen on the
    head unit (i'm positive this wont work since it is simply connecting the
    video/audio out of mac mini to display on head unit screen)?
    Yes, unless you are ready for some very serious hardware hacking, you won't be able to use the touchscreen.

    2. An extension of the first question, is there any module/software i can
    add on to head unit that would enable me to control the mac mini
    rather than just viewing its output on the screen?
    Not that I know of. You would have to design an build it.

    3. I live in Iowa so its 90 - 110 in the summer, and -15-40 in the winter.
    Has anyone had any issues with moisture or cold/heat issues when
    operating a mac mini? If so, what is your resolution?
    No problems so far, just make sure there is enough air flow around the place where the computer is installed - no tight closed spaces.

    4. Rather than using a bluetooth mouse in the car i would like to
    integrate a touchpad. I know this would be pretty advanced but is it
    possible to take an apple touchpad (part purchased straight from
    Apple) and connect it to mac mini? I would then flush mount it in
    center console.
    No, the trackpad itself does not contain the circuits necessary for USB connection. Use NuLOOQ, SpaceNavigator, Shuttle pro or similar device instead.

  7. #7
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Archy88 View Post
    I'm not sure if I overlooked it...but it would be possible for the mac to output video to the Alpine? Does anyone have an example of the picture quality this would produce?
    I really hate most of the touchscreens out there...and I have fallen in love with the new macbook. If I could get an alpine and have the best of all worlds...I would be in heaven.
    There are converters for the Mini (scan converter is what you are looking for) but the picture quality will be a compromise.

    Obviously, it can be done. The AppleTV does it. You would need to lower the resolution of the display and stick with specific color schemes. You'll be surprised at how little information you can get on the screen compared to a regular VGA screen. This thread has pictures of screen quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Similar Threads

  1. Mac Mini in colder seasons?
    By Isthan in forum MacCar
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 10:30 AM
  2. VW Golf IV - Mac Mini install
    By Fuse314 in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 05:25 PM
  3. 2006 PT Cruiser -Mac Mini
    By zapwizard in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM
  4. First Mac Mini in a Land Rover
    By dmonckton in forum Show off your project
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 07:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •