Macbook PRO- Listing pro's/con's, etc
Merry Xmas eve!
I started thinking about a carPC after seeing how little you can modify an alpine/pioneer/etc double din unit. I already have a strong list of components I can use specifically for a car. However, with the release of the new macbook pro...I've decided to investigate it's use as a carPC.
As mentioned, a dedicated carPC led me to mp3car...etc. However, a laptop would fit more of my needs in the end. Here is a list of tasks depending on the route I take:
Possible OBDII integration
Possible wireless connection(via tethered phone)
Laptop Uses(If I chose this route):
Wirless Connection(Via wifi or tethered phone)
HTPC use(if the unit is powerful enough)
A bit of gaming, nothing too intense
This thread will act as a bit of a notepad per-say. Any useful information I find(Macbook related) will be posted here so that I may receive some input/comments/suggestions from other users!!
I am currently looking at the 15" model(MB470LL/A).
# Operation System: Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard
# Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# Memory: 2GB DDR3
# Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT / NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
# Display: 15.4" WXGA+
# Hard Drive: 250GB
# Optical Drive: 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# Communication: Gigabit LAN and WLAN
# Model #: MB470LL/A
- I FINALLY get a laptop!!!!!
- Bootcamp & Parallels Desktop=The best of both worlds!
- A macbook/laptop is much more versatile than a mini-itx unit. It's mobile!
- Besides the lack of CarPC support for Mac, the OS should be more stable than Windows(Bootcamp will perform tasks that Mac cannot. Provides versatility)
- Mini Display Port. Works with dvi/hdmi. Most mini-itx mobos are stock with VGA. Pointless on a xenarc, but useful everywhere else
- How to power a $2000 laptop?
- How to dock a $2000 laptop
- Front End software is lacking...
- ...Did I mention the price?? lol
- How to use a laptop for everyday use, but also integrate frontend/Car related software seamlessly. No changing settings when I take the unit in the house unless I can create a profile for Car & House. I would need the profile to be easily accessible or even automatic
To be continued as I find stuff throughout the day