Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: horrible computer noise through speakers

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate natedawgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    365

    horrible computer noise through speakers

    hey guys, i posted this question over in the car audio forum, but never really got any good responses. the problem that i am having is that i am getting some major buzz coming from the computer through my sound system. it is not very noticable while driving down the freeway, but once you stop at a light and you have a slow spot in a song, it is VERY noticeable. there is a quick hand drawn diagram located in this post. i have tried many sound isolators, but they don't actually help kill the noise. any help would be greatly appreciated
    Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

  2. #2
    FLAC Machinehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    hijacks small portable city
    Posts
    1,381
    I would think it's either the double amping or that Griffin imic.

  3. #3
    Constant Bitrate onepuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    184
    Did you try taking the griffin iMic out of the equation. I didn't read through the other thread so maybe you tried that already. Seems really strange to be picking up sounds from the computer.

  4. #4
    Variable Bitrate natedawgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by onepuff View Post
    Did you try taking the griffin iMic out of the equation. I didn't read through the other thread so maybe you tried that already. Seems really strange to be picking up sounds from the computer.
    it is def not the imic. if i elimnate that the sound is MUCH worse. it could be the double amping, but that is my only option. the monsoon amp is factory and cannot be removed, without the smaller amp, there is not enough power to run the monsoon (it is a high level amp taking a speaker level signal), the mini's sound card or the imic's. i tried rerouting all of the speaker wire as far away from the power wires as i could. it helped a little, but not enough. i can't imagine that it would be a problem with the mini's chassis not being grounded (read on some of the other pc threads where it is suggested to run a ground wire to the frame of the pc). even if it wasn't i wouldn't know how to ground the chassis of the mini since it is mostly plastic anyway. i really am at a loss here.
    Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate golfguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    180
    Why do you use the iMic instead of a direct feed off the headphone jack? Have you tried the headphone jack with a ground loop isolator? That really helped my alternator noise.
    Any day is a good day for golf.

    Mazdaspeed6 Carputer Progress: Gone
    (Check Speedy's Install)

    Speedy was traded for a 2004 350z - Install complete except for permanent screen installation.

  6. #6
    Variable Bitrate natedawgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    365
    yeah i actually did try that, the problem is that this is not alternator noise. i did have alternator noise at first, i then put a in-line ground loop isolator in between the p1900 and the battery. that eliminated the alternator noise. This is actual noise from inside the mini. you can hear the hard drive, even the mouse move (actually i assume you are hearing the processor usage to calculate and display the mouse position).

    One note, i did hook the system up to my iphone and play music through that and in that scenario there was no noise whatsoever. i believe that eliminates the signal crossover to the speaker wire, as well as the double amp.

    thanks again everybody for all of your help
    Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate golfguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    180
    OK, I know what you're talking about and I can hear it very faintly when my car is not running and the music is quiet. You're picking up the computer clock signal that runs the CPU. I don't know how you've got your Mini mounted, but you need to try to shield your wiring from the computer. Are any of the wires lying across the computer? Are they in close contact? Try using a sheet of metal to separate the wiring from the machine and see if it makes any difference. That may end up being a difficult problem to solve completely. Experiment with different mounting orientations and see if any of them is better. Good luck.
    Any day is a good day for golf.

    Mazdaspeed6 Carputer Progress: Gone
    (Check Speedy's Install)

    Speedy was traded for a 2004 350z - Install complete except for permanent screen installation.

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate onepuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by natedawgg View Post
    yeah i actually did try that, the problem is that this is not alternator noise. i did have alternator noise at first, i then put a in-line ground loop isolator in between the p1900 and the battery. that eliminated the alternator noise. This is actual noise from inside the mini. you can hear the hard drive, even the mouse move (actually i assume you are hearing the processor usage to calculate and display the mouse position).

    One note, i did hook the system up to my iphone and play music through that and in that scenario there was no noise whatsoever. i believe that eliminates the signal crossover to the speaker wire, as well as the double amp.

    thanks again everybody for all of your help
    I don't think there are any moving parts in the iPhone so that may not really be helping diagnose the problem. Do you have any pics of your setup? Might help us see what may be the issue.

  9. #9
    Variable Bitrate natedawgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    365
    Quote Originally Posted by golfguy View Post
    OK, I know what you're talking about and I can hear it very faintly when my car is not running and the music is quiet. You're picking up the computer clock signal that runs the CPU. I don't know how you've got your Mini mounted, but you need to try to shield your wiring from the computer. Are any of the wires lying across the computer? Are they in close contact? Try using a sheet of metal to separate the wiring from the machine and see if it makes any difference. That may end up being a difficult problem to solve completely. Experiment with different mounting orientations and see if any of them is better. Good luck.
    ok so that is a possibility. the mini is in the glovebox along with the p1900. so there is very little space between the two. i have done my best to route everything from anything that has to do with power. the cables are really close to the machine, but i have tried moving the mini out of the glove box where all the cables are streched out (away from the mini). all to no avail. it is possible though there is something that i am missing. i am sure there is something somewhere laying or crossing over something.

    onepuff: i don't have any pictures as of yet, but give a bit and i will try and get some. as far as there not being any moving parts, i didn't think about that. i was thinking more down the lines of the iphone is self powered and not relying on the cars power system. i don't know you are prob right though
    Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

  10. #10
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    You are definitely picking up electrical signals from inside the Mini.

    If you are using an iMic, then the signal is digital all the way down to the iMic connection. Try using a USB extension cable out of the back of the Mini and a short and well shielded (i.e. high quality) 1/8 cable to the amp, well away from the Mini.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Alternator Whine Only With Carputer
    By tbird2340 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 02:36 AM
  2. Bloomin' alternator whine
    By Vodkapete in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 05:25 PM
  3. Noise over my speakers
    By z8man in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2006, 07:05 AM
  4. weird noise in speakers....HELP
    By chadcj7 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 05:19 PM
  5. Noise coming through speakers - Help Needed
    By tbird2340 in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •