Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: USB specific advice for Fusion?

  1. #1
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2

    USB specific advice for Fusion?

    I'm using Fusion in the car and it works quite well, although I'm having an issue with it recognizing the GPS, which is a regular NMEA compliant GPS that uses the prolific serial bridge to USB bridge. I've been able to see and connect to it, but then sometimes after restart, I can't. I haven't had much time to look into the problem.

    Also, the touchscreen works quite well on the Mac Mini, but doesn't even show up as a device on Fusion, so I can't use it on Windows apps.

    Does anyone have advice on anything special needed to deal with USB ports and Fusion?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  2. #2
    Constant Bitrate scatebase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    146
    I'm assuming your talking about VMware Fusion.

    Do you have VMware tools installed?

    When you restart, are you suspending the virtual machine or shutting it down?

    It probably doesn't connect the touchscreen because it sees it as a mouse and tries to share the cursor like it would share a standard mouse.

    What version are you using?

  3. #3
    Variable Bitrate natedawgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    365
    i was about to make the same suggestion. it sounds like the vmware tools is not installed correctly. fusion shouldn't really need to see the touchscreen at all. it should just assume whatever you are using as a mouse in your host is indeed a mouse, and the clicks respond accordingly. as far as loosing the usb after restart, that is why i use Virtualbox in my car. it has an awesome setup known as 'usb filters' where on restart or reboot, it looks for all devices in its filters and automagically adds them to the vm. as far as fusion is concerned though im not sure how you would automatically "give" the usb to the vm.
    Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

  4. #4
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,364
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by scatebase View Post
    I'm assuming your talking about VMware Fusion.

    Do you have VMware tools installed?

    When you restart, are you suspending the virtual machine or shutting it down?

    It probably doesn't connect the touchscreen because it sees it as a mouse and tries to share the cursor like it would share a standard mouse.

    What version are you using?
    I do have VMware tools installed. For testing purposes, I've had both a touchscreen and a mouse connected. I've also found that it has trouble seeing a hub I have connected to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  5. #5
    Constant Bitrate scatebase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugbyte View Post
    I do have VMware tools installed. For testing purposes, I've had both a touchscreen and a mouse connected. I've also found that it has trouble seeing a hub I have connected to it.
    What version are you using? If you have recently upgraded VMware make sure you upgrade the tools also.

    I agree with natedawgg. VirtualBox is a great piece of free software. If you continue to have trouble with VMware, you may want to try it out.

Similar Threads

  1. HFP for Linux Bluetooth Hands Free
    By samr7 in forum Linux
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 05:45 AM
  2. Core Duo / Core 2 Duo Mini-ITX boards
    By RedGTiVR6 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 10-03-2010, 10:30 PM
  3. USB self powered hub, which one
    By htsource in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
  4. how to effectively use usb ports?
    By maloosheck in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 11:35 AM
  5. Installing a USB Hub up-front? Read this...
    By hd54321 in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 11:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •