Project: Complete voice control for in the house / car
let me introduce myself, I am an 18 year old soon to be college kid, I have wanted to make software that will allow one to basically talk to the computer, and it would reply (voice control).
Well I just recently started this project by using applescript. I am by no means an experienced coder, but this project is making me learn.
So time to expose my ideas and mostly, what I have already done.
1. What I have already done:
- Ask computer the weather, it will reply the current temperature and show you a forecast
- A timer has been made, and you can ask how much time is left and it will reply.
- Beginning of itunes integration, for now I just ask it to play music and it will automatically run front row and shuffle your music.
- Log into facebook, reading notifications is eventually on its way.
2. What I want to make:
- better weather integration
- eventually work with the mac dashboard (for example when you start the timer you will see a dashboard timer working, same goes with the weather.
- reads RSS feeds
- reads email (subject and who sent it, one can say more, and then more gets read).
- lights control (for in the house)
- Better safari integration, work with forms and such, for now you can open new pages, windows, and scroll up down, but writing stuff into forms is yet a reality.
A few more notes and downloads:
I have attached the scripts in a zip file, so you can download them easily.
Open up system preferences --> speech
Turn speakable items on
In settings chose your listening method, if you are using an internal microphone i recommend keeping it on key press simply because or else it can pick up random things and is irritating.
Now navigate to "commands" (small tab)
I personally have everything checked there but you dont have too, default settings should work fine.
Click "open speakable items folder", now drag all the scripts into that folder.
WHAT YOU NAME THE SCRIPTS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY TO OPEN THEM.
This lets you completely customize the name of the scripts as you wish.
To get the information you want (weather and facebook), you have to edit the files, let me remind you that this project is in alpha stage, and hopefully eventually you will be greeted by a beautiful, easy to use interface.
the facebook script is easy to edit, where there is written write email here, replace the text with your email, same goes with the password.
The weather will currently tell you the temperature it is in San Francisco, if you want to edit that, open up the file, and where you see the big url (weather.yahoo blablla), go to weather.yahoo.com, find your own city's page, and paste that link in there, the link towards the bottom is the forecast page, do the same here.
Hopefully you have everything working, now I have some questions for you.
1. If any developers are out there, would you like to help and contribute to the project, perhaps helping build an easy to use interface for people to enter their settings and an automatic installation.
2. Does anyone know an extremely simple weather site, like that is JUST TEXT?
3. For all those who experiment, how well does the voice recognition work??
Suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated, cheers!