Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Mac Mini not powering on with ignition

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    38

    Mac Mini not powering on with ignition

    I have the Carnetix P1900 2.2 with MacPac. Connected Y cable and when I turn my ignition switch on the Mac Mini will not turn on, unless I hit the power button. Right now I am just running tests in my house for setup reasons but this seems to be the first problem I have run into. I am using a ATX power supply to power the carnetix and just put a toggle switch between the ignition line which is just a 12V.
    Any help would be great full.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Variable Bitrate natedawgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    365
    check your jumpers. there are tons of configurations that can be made using the jumpers inside of the p1900. there is a good chance that something is not configured right. if that is not the problem, then it sounds like there is just something off with your wiring and it being outside of the car. There is a decent chance that everything will work just fine once you wire it up in the car
    Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

  3. #3
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by nastra622 View Post
    I have the Carnetix P1900 2.2 with MacPac. Connected Y cable and when I turn my ignition switch on the Mac Mini will not turn on, unless I hit the power button. Right now I am just running tests in my house for setup reasons but this seems to be the first problem I have run into. I am using a ATX power supply to power the carnetix and just put a toggle switch between the ignition line which is just a 12V.
    Any help would be great full.
    Thanks
    What are you using for the 12v inside the house?

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by natedawgg View Post
    check your jumpers. there are tons of configurations that can be made using the jumpers inside of the p1900. there is a good chance that something is not configured right. if that is not the problem, then it sounds like there is just something off with your wiring and it being outside of the car. There is a decent chance that everything will work just fine once you wire it up in the car
    I am not sure what you mean by the "jumpers inside the p1900". What do you mean when you say there is a good chance something is not configured right?
    I also just hooked up the screen to the p1900 and it is giving me the same problem. It is giving power to the screen just not booting it up when I flip the "ignition" switch.
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by justchat_1 View Post
    What are you using for the 12v inside the house?
    I converted a ATX power supply into a bench power supply that I can get different voltage and grounding from.

  6. #6
    FLAC Machinehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    hijacks small portable city
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by nastra622 View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by the "jumpers inside the p1900". What do you mean when you say there is a good chance something is not configured right?
    I also just hooked up the screen to the p1900 and it is giving me the same problem. It is giving power to the screen just not booting it up when I flip the "ignition" switch.
    Thanks
    First things first, as mentioned, double check the jumper settings on the p1900. It looks like JP1 and JP3 are the jumpers relating to power control. Next thing to look at is to use a volt meter and see if you're getting a pulse on ignition by testing the output pins relating to ignition pulse. Check the carnetix website to grab the manual for the p1900.

  7. #7
    Variable Bitrate natedawgg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    365
    just for clarification, the p1900 has several series of jumpers inside the unit. Just take off the top metal case and inside on the circuit board itself you will see the jumpers. Carnetix has a guide to what each jumper does.
    Check out the new version of NAS, a cross platform music frontend here

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    38
    I was able to resolve the problem last night. One of the wires came loose from the wire harness that connected to the Y addaptor.
    I guess if your reading this you guys might be able to help me with my next minor problem.
    The computer boots now that I attached the wire back into the harness, but then when I turn the "ignition" off and back on, it does not boot up again. I have to completly diconnect all poer and start from the begining. Isnt the computer supposed to go into sleep mode for a set time? Even with that it should atleast reboot.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks guys.

  9. #9
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    You need to read the manual. My guess is that you turned the ignition off, the computer shut down and then you turned the ignition back on within one minute.

    There is a lockout in the P1900 that prevents it from restarting within 60 seconds of shutting down. The same goes for starting up. This is covered in the manual, along with the location and function of the jumpers inside the P1900 case that control its functions. In addition, there is a video in the blog section of the site that demonstrates how a Carnetix 2140 works. While the P1900 is somewhat different (there is no USB port on it) the video shows how jumpers can be configured to produce different outputs and is useful if you aren't aware of how to set jumpers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    38
    Thank you, I will check that out when I get home.
    I have been searching the forums and google and really cant find anything. I don't have my Mac in front of me now so I cant try to do it but.... how do you set it so the mac boots in front end?
    Please don't get mad...
    Thanks again guys.

Similar Threads

  1. Mini Mac 4 Porsche 944
    By 4thChild in forum MacCar
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 11:16 PM
  2. Overheating your Mac Mini - No problem!
    By Bugbyte in forum MacCar
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-08-2006, 10:46 PM
  3. 2005 Scion xA- Mac Mini
    By Doomspat in forum Worklogs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2006, 11:07 AM
  4. Mac mini in dash questions.
    By dfluxnet in forum MacCar
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 04:02 AM
  5. FS: Mac Mini CarPC Package/Parts LOADED!
    By markcc01 in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 11:47 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •