Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: is there ever going to be a fe

  1. #21
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    196
    Isn't OSX really just a variant of Linux?

    XBMC can run on pretty much anything, your biggest issue is the graphics capabilities as it requires OpenGL- and it's fussy.

    I have an old Shuttle PC running XBMC with 512MB ram and a 2600 AMD processor which is underclocked- seems to run nicely using the onboard 440 graphics card but it was a ****** to get the drivers sorted on Linux. I tried it on Unichrome graphics card found on 99% of the Via ITX boards and it failed, it didn't even try lol.

    Although I think most Macs will be ok as very early on they had the Voodoo PCI graphics cards? Seem to remember macs being a good source for them among PC users.

  2. #22
    Maximum Bitrate ws6vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by Moel View Post
    I have to say, i've been disappointed by OM. It promised much, and I was impressed and loved the PC version, was MORE than happy and indeed clamouring to get the beta's, but it just never ever materialised. I'm not a coder at the end of the day i'm a user.
    As Justchat stated, the only thing missing are a few platform specific functions and you get OM on osx. None of our volunteers have any Mac dev experience. If anyone wants to step up to the plate, we would love to have it. Until then, there is no use in OM taking development time to research OSX development for such a small audience. The possibility for OM on OSX is there, we just need someone that can do it.

  3. #23
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7
    Who built 0.6 then?

  4. #24
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Moel View Post
    Who built 0.6 then?
    Me....and if I thought there was any justification for spending the hundreds (yes you read that right-hundreds) of hours it takes to roll out an openGL backend for OSX I might go through the effort. However, I have not seen a single user (granted theres only 2-3 of you) justify a single advantage OSX has over any other platform (for carPC use). I can list at least a dozen disadvantages it has though.

    You want iPod support:
    http://openmobile.sourceforge.net/ma...fileinfo&id=38

    You want OSX support:
    Either find an OSX dev or get osx users to start donating for it.

  5. #25
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    London, United Kingdom
    Posts
    196
    I must agree, I don't see any point or advantage in using OSX over others. If there was it would be far wider developed!

  6. #26
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7
    I want iPod support for AMP not OM.

    0.6 didn't work anyway remember! Came up with the missing file error in mono.

    There probably isn't any justification, other than the mac mini was really the form factor that actually made the whole carpc a viable proposition for many (myself included)

    It was just somewhat annoying that you basically said 'OM works for macs' and then i spent several hours trying to work out how the hell you run what appeared to be an .exe before realizing that mono was the answer, then it didn't run. Then I waited 2 months to be told that 0.7 was coming, then 0.7 was abandoned and now 0.8 and all future versions are scrapped.

    Fair enough that you are doing great work with OM, but managing your users expectations is also necessary.

    Would it be countless hours of work to use the 0.7 back end with a 0.6 opengl compliant front end? (which presumably exists because presumably you did have 0.6 working)

    Or failing that (because i'm not precious about os x in my car pc) But with the powerpc linux release, is there a version of linux that would run OM and be able to restart my G4 Mac Mini after a power failure? (basically my carnetix power supply lead that allows power on rubbed on the case and it broke so now I just allow it to kill the power with the deadman timer and then when it restores power the mac mini knows to turn on)

  7. #27
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Moel View Post
    I want iPod support for AMP not OM.

    0.6 didn't work anyway remember! Came up with the missing file error in mono.

    There probably isn't any justification, other than the mac mini was really the form factor that actually made the whole carpc a viable proposition for many (myself included)

    It was just somewhat annoying that you basically said 'OM works for macs' and then i spent several hours trying to work out how the hell you run what appeared to be an .exe before realizing that mono was the answer, then it didn't run. Then I waited 2 months to be told that 0.7 was coming, then 0.7 was abandoned and now 0.8 and all future versions are scrapped.

    Fair enough that you are doing great work with OM, but managing your users expectations is also necessary.
    While I can understand your frustration...its mutual. We had two different developers offer assistance for OSX support and neither came through when we tried to take them up on their offers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moel View Post
    Would it be countless hours of work to use the 0.7 back end with a 0.6 opengl compliant front end? (which presumably exists because presumably you did have 0.6 working)
    It would be like trying to put a steam engine in a modern car...the technologies just don't work together. The real issue here is more of saving the user from future frustration. Getting the app to run on OSX isn't too hard...but then getting all of the OS specific functions working, power control, audio system interaction, application embedding, etc. would take even more work. Then you still have the issue of designing osx specific plugins for audio routing (for the hd/xm/am/fm/dab radios), audio/video playback, wifi, bluetooth, etc. I think its better to focus efforts on the platforms we can provide that for then offer a featureless front end on OSX.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moel View Post
    Or failing that (because i'm not precious about os x in my car pc) But with the powerpc linux release, is there a version of linux that would run OM and be able to restart my G4 Mac Mini after a power failure? (basically my carnetix power supply lead that allows power on rubbed on the case and it broke so now I just allow it to kill the power with the deadman timer and then when it restores power the mac mini knows to turn on)
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/10.10/release/ <-Released yesterday

    If the mini powers up after a power failure, thats a hardware thing...not really an OS thing.

  8. #28
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7
    Yes but it's only settable from the OS control panel. I suppose if i find out what the actual command in terminal it's using then it is possible.

  9. #29
    Raw Wave
    Auto Apps:loading...
    justchat_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, Ma or NY,NY
    Posts
    1,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Moel View Post
    Yes but it's only settable from the OS control panel. I suppose if i find out what the actual command in terminal it's using then it is possible.
    But once set it shouldn't matter what os is running on the hardware... and i'm pretty sure the tools to configure the OpenFirmware or EFI is configurable from tools on other OSs also...just need to download them.

  10. #30
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    1. Download Virtualbox from Sun for free.
    2. Install Linux for free
    3. Install OM
    4. Enjoy
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. mac FE reality ...
    By SapporoGuy in forum MacCar
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM
  2. multi-process FE concept (for NG3)
    By tripzero in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 05:39 AM
  3. Special fit car dvd for Hyundai Santa fe
    By silvester86 in forum Newbie
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2009, 08:51 PM
  4. Monsoon in the Santa Fe
    By Jonny4d in forum Car Audio
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 08:54 AM
  5. FE that supports foreign language
    By vile10 in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 04:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •