Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: G4 PowerMac, meet 350Z!

  1. #41
    Constant Bitrate sagekoala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon
    EVERYONE knows Macs are better for multimedia. Mp3=multimedia.
    in what way are they better? perhaps someday i will find someone with an answer... and fyi multimedia = multiple kinds of media. mp3!=multimedia

    has anyone looking into trying to get headunit to run on osX or even a ppc linux distro?
    don't worry i know i usually don't make much sense

  2. #42
    FLAC ppgt94's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,352
    Quote Originally Posted by sagekoala
    in what way are they better? perhaps someday i will find someone with an answer... and fyi multimedia = multiple kinds of media. mp3!=multimedia

    has anyone looking into trying to get headunit to run on osX or even a ppc linux distro?
    I think that was meant to be kinda tongue-in-cheek.

  3. #43
    Constant Bitrate GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by ppgt94
    I think that was meant to be kinda tongue-in-cheek.
    Exactly

  4. #44
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by sagekoala

    1) what about your system makes it the ultimate? without any screenshots one can only assume that not only is every feature you list implimented on pc, but it probably does a better job of it. especially when you don't have anysort of ui (please no bs, i want a solid answer.)
    2) why is a mac a "more suitable multi-media computer" than an epia or for that matter any other board?
    3) you say that your mac can "run any software on ANY playform" (i assume you mean platform) can your mac make my athlon 64 run OS9?
    4) i would also like to see numbers stating that a system similar to yours runs more efficently or has better power management.
    1) I say it's the ultimate, becuase its mine! See attached pics below. I'm not saying the Mac is better because of software features; it's because of the OS X GUI and OS compatibility. I can use my fingers to access files, folders, applications, and etc. All with ease. Although my touch screen works in both MAC OS X and XP, XP is not touch screen friendly. OS X is!

    2) Because the G4 mobo (even in standard configuration) is extremely versatile. Expansion: 1 AGP, 3 PCI, 2 USB, 3 FW, ATA HD, Airport Card (PC Card), audio in, audio out, 4 RAM PC100 up to 2GB, and 56K modem... and that's just on the mobo. EXPANDABILITY and QUALITY!

    3) Point being, Macs can run other applications from a plethora of other platforms, whether it be from Win 98, Win 2000, XP, UNIX, LINUX, C, C++, Objective-C, or even JAVA (Xcode, OS X native). Why on earn would I (let alone anyone) even want to use an Athlon 64 to run OS 9? OS 9 is OLD!

    4) Unfortunately, I don't have numbers. However, I do have a professional quote from a very reputable company. Since my mobo was unique, I went to OPUS for my power solution. I sent them my mobo with my video card and 512 RAM. This is/was the first power supply for Mac OPUS ever made. After about a week, I was called back by OPUS technician (I believe there's only one and he's a great guy) and we spoke at length about the Mac. He went on to say, and I quote "this mobo is by far the most efficient and impressive he has ever seen or worked on". Now this is obviously not with 1.4GB of RAM, nor is it a G5. This was simply a stated fact from a professionally certified technician. Argue the semantics of it all you want, but it is what it is.

  5. #45
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    48
    Pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  6. #46
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by IntellaWorks
    Ok, I can see your argument. But mac has to be able to run any software from any platform in order to stay competetive. I can't agree with your hardware claims though, especially when you say that mac runs more efficiently when compared to EPIA boards.. Have you ever looked at the G5 towers heatsink ?? (that thing creates a LOT of heat) It needs two power supplies 1 for the 7 40mm+ cooling fans and the 2nd to power the system.

    Afterthought::
    I might be comparing APPLES to ORagnes (HA) putting a g5 next to a EPIA systemboard.

    I can however see that mac, has significantly decreased the size of thier computers before the pc world has even thought about it and maybe you are onto something as far as new kinds of hardware to look at.

    I don't see wonderful software applications being designed specifically for OSX and being supported as fully as these forums though, why is this ? Because M$ has made it very easy for us to write our own code and PC's are generally more popular with computer geeks I guess.


    Thank you for your opinion though and I apologize for sounding harsh originally, I would like to keep these forums as unbiast as possible (because we can all keep learning that way) Instead of fighting over who's stick is bigger.

    Yes, Iíve looked at a G5 heat sink. I have a dual 2G! G4ís are a completely different CPU. Iíve never had a heat problem ever, with any Mac for that matter. However, I will admit, the G5 fans do run more often, especially when running processor intensive applications. But I have no intentions of using my G5 anytime soon.

    Macís Achilles heals is no GPS software. VPC emulation (XP) is really our only option for now. As for performance, I notice the difference between running native and through emulation is not that bad. The G4 800mhz seems to handle it just fine. Letís just hope this is only temporary.

  7. #47
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuru
    Macís Achilles heals is no GPS software. VPC emulation (XP) is really our only option for now. As for performance, I notice the difference between running native and through emulation is not that bad. The G4 800mhz seems to handle it just fine. Letís just hope this is only temporary.
    What about Route 66? I would be using a G4 for my Carputer if there were an OS X version of DeltaDash available for my Subaru.

  8. #48
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by revgeorge
    What about Route 66? I would be using a G4 for my Carputer if there were an OS X version of DeltaDash available for my Subaru.
    I haven't heard good things about Route 66. From the reviews and screen shots, CoPilot is the way to go. I'm only using the SA for now because it was free. I'll more than likely buy the CoPilot and run it through VPC if nothing is happening on the Mac front any time soon.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. Sept. 5th, Maryland Washington Virginia Meet
    By god_of_cpu in forum MP3Car Gatherings
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 07:35 AM
  2. So Cal San Diego meet?
    By Walleye in forum MP3Car Gatherings
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 05:32 PM
  3. The Ultimate UK Meet?
    By Jamez_Warner in forum MP3Car Gatherings
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 03:59 PM
  4. NY/NJ meet
    By ill_ace in forum MP3Car Gatherings
    Replies: 115
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 12:36 AM
  5. Portland OR Meet, August 28th
    By SiGmA_X in forum MP3Car Gatherings
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 05:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •