Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: What else do I need??

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    36

    What else do I need??

    Ok, here's a question for all you Mac hardware gurus out there. I recently purchased an iBook G3 500 logic board ($55 shipped and is supposed to work) that I am planning on using for my carPC install. What I have is the logic board, frame, DC board, fan, battery, and EMI shield. Other parts I already have are a VGA converter, firewire HD, and AC Power adapter.

    What else do I need to make this sucker work? I've tried hooking it up with a VGA monitor and a USB Keyboard (Sun Type 6 USB with power key) but I can't get it to power up. I also can't seem to find any documentation on the web saying what each of the connectors on the logic board are. Could someone please give me some pointers (or point me to a URL with more info)?

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by ckgreenman
    Ok, here's a question for all you Mac hardware gurus out there. I recently purchased an iBook G3 500 logic board ($55 shipped and is supposed to work) that I am planning on using for my carPC install. What I have is the logic board, frame, DC board, fan, battery, and EMI shield. Other parts I already have are a VGA converter, firewire HD, and AC Power adapter.

    What else do I need to make this sucker work? I've tried hooking it up with a VGA monitor and a USB Keyboard (Sun Type 6 USB with power key) but I can't get it to power up. I also can't seem to find any documentation on the web saying what each of the connectors on the logic board are. Could someone please give me some pointers (or point me to a URL with more info)?

    Thanks,
    Chris
    Hmm, what connectors are you looking for? I'm not sure if a keyboard power key will start an iBook, never tried, but jumper S1 is the power switch and shorting the two pins should start the book.

    Here's a list of things that I use....:

    S1 - Power
    S2 - Sleep light
    S4 - "reset" switch - also handy as the connector fits into S1 and can be used as a power switch
    ?? - DC Board; not a clear label nearby on my board, it is on the flip-side and a bit toward the CPU end of the board from the battery connector

    --m

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    36
    Cool, Thanks for the info on the power switch. I kinda figured that was the case but I didn't want to go shorting out pins.

    Luckily most of the things I mentioned above were already plugged in when I got the board so finding the DC board plug in isn't an issue.


    I'll give the "reset switch" idea a try and let you know how it turned out.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by ckgreenman
    I'll give the "reset switch" idea a try and let you know how it turned out.

    Worked like a champ. Now the only problem is getting this thing to boot. I don't have an optical drive for it so I've been trying to boot it over the firewire. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to recognize my firewire drive so I tried using another iBook in target mode. It sees the iBooks drive but when I try to boot from it all that happens is the screen flickers and drive icon goes away for a few seconds then reappears. Could this be a firmware version problem? I've tried resetting the PRAM but that didn't help.

    Also, is it possible to boot from the optical drive of another Mac in target mode?

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by ckgreenman
    Worked like a champ.
    Good deal, I'm not sure about booting with a firewire drive though, never have tried it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ckgreenman
    Also, is it possible to boot from the optical drive of another Mac in target mode?
    Hmm also not sure here...maybe boot the car ibook in target mode? That is what I'm going to try this weekend, I'll post back with results. I also don't have an optical drive for it, and don't really want to take apart my pbook again to borrow the drive, so I'm hoping this way works. I am using a "normal" drive, not firewire though...is there a reason for using a firewire drive over directly connecting a drive, or is it just that that's what you've got available? If you are needing a drive cable, pbfixit has decent prices, thats where I got mine and it works like a charm. I had problems hooking an old optical drive and the hdd together, only the optical would work. If I had to guess, the optical needs to be a slave drive, but both all the slimline drives I have easily available are set as masters, YMMV.
    http://pbfixit.com/cart/catalog/prod...ata_Cable.html

    If you liked the reset switch as a power switch idea you might like this : I took the modem off since I will never use it...the phone line connector has two connectors in it, so I pull them out and hooked that to the power pins. Now I can short them to boot. Much easier in that I can do that with my fingers and don't need to find a screwdriver or knife to get into the actual power pins :P

    One of these days I'll find a connector that fits and make a real switch, but that works for now.

    --m

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by ckgreenman
    Also, is it possible to boot from the optical drive of another Mac in target mode?
    Yes, it is possible. At least it worked for me to boot my titanium powerbook from the optical drive in my aluminium one.

    Rob..

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by minuo
    is there a reason for using a firewire drive over directly connecting a drive, or is it just that that's what you've got available?
    The firewire drive is all I have available at the moment. The guy I bought this logic board from said he has the HDD/Optical cable for it as well as the screws, power button, and trackpad. I went ahead and bought them too and they should arrive later this week or early next week.

    Quote Originally Posted by minuo
    If you liked the reset switch as a power switch idea you might like this : I took the modem off since I will never use it...the phone line connector has two connectors in it, so I pull them out and hooked that to the power pins. Now I can short them to boot. Much easier in that I can do that with my fingers and don't need to find a screwdriver or knife to get into the actual power pins :P

    One of these days I'll find a connector that fits and make a real switch, but that works for now.

    --m
    Since I'm buying the power switch for this logic board, I'm planning on simply cutting a small hole under the center console (out of sight) and mounting the power button there. As for the connector, how good are you at soldering? Can't you simply cut the modem connector off (leaving as much wire as possible) and solder some small guage speaker wire to a small momentary-on switch from radio shack?

    ckgreenman

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by gommino
    Yes, it is possible. At least it worked for me to boot my titanium powerbook from the optical drive in my aluminium one.

    Rob..

    Ho do you do it? I tried putting a boot CD in another ibook and booting it to target mode but the car ibook, would only see the other ibook's hard drive. It didn't see the boot CD.

    ckgreenman

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by ckgreenman
    The firewire drive is all I have available at the moment. The guy I bought this logic board from said he has the HDD/Optical cable for it as well as the screws, power button, and trackpad. I went ahead and bought them too and they should arrive later this week or early next week.
    I can say that with a hdd attached (ide) (no optical, I will be using a firewire drive eventually), I installed tiger over the weekend with the ibook in target disk mode attached to my powerbook. Went smoothly, no problems thus far. I also purchased DisplayConfigX in an attempt to push 800x480....should have 'd around first and read that it just won't work with that vid card...oh well, I suppose if I upgrade to a mini later I will have it

    Quote Originally Posted by ckgreenman
    Since I'm buying the power switch for this logic board, I'm planning on simply cutting a small hole under the center console (out of sight) and mounting the power button there. As for the connector, how good are you at soldering? Can't you simply cut the modem connector off (leaving as much wire as possible) and solder some small guage speaker wire to a small momentary-on switch from radio shack?

    ckgreenman
    well the modem connector doesn't *truly* fit, but that may be the route I go. I am trunk mounting the book, so I'll need an extended power button cable no matter if I use a "real" one or roll my own :P

    --m

  10. #10
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by ckgreenman
    Ho do you do it? I tried putting a boot CD in another ibook and booting it to target mode but the car ibook, would only see the other ibook's hard drive. It didn't see the boot CD.

    ckgreenman
    I started my albook in target mode with the CD in it. Then I booted the tibook normally. I selected the CD in the startup disk preference pane and rebooted and it the tibook booted from the CD in the albook.

    Try booting the car ibook off the other ibook's hard drive and then doing what I did.

    Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •