Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: G3/G4 upgrade questions

  1. #1
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    509

    G3/G4 upgrade questions

    I need a mac guru on this one.....

    I got a Blue and White G3 powered mac for the small price of 8 beers, so I figured why not upgrade it? as it stands it has a 300 Mhz G3 processor. I would love to get this thing to at least a fast G3 to play with. I hope to get a G4 (is it worth it?) ideally, but, I'm noticing the processor upgrade prices from the places I've seen are insane!!!

    Does anyone have a site recommendation for picking up upgrades for the mac relatively cheaply? I already have 768MB of ram, a Bigger Hard drive, and CD/DVD-RW upgrades on the way but I need a faster processor for what I want to do.

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    20

    Not cheap

    Not sure what you want to do but the prices I saw were starting around 200.00 and went up to 800.00. Upgrading macs is never cheap, which is why I got a G4 instead of upgrading my G3. What are your plans with the Mac, you may have other options.

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    509
    specifically to dabble in the dark art of mac, since I've been dealing with PC's for my entire career. I just want to learn the ins-and-outs and probably do some photoshop, and my brother will probably want to play with final cut

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    20
    Well, you can easily play with OS X on a G3 with alot of memory, but final cut may be a problem. I was able to get a free Mac Mini from one of the online sites. Would you be interested, it does require some effort on your part but it works.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Hcomplyr
    I need a mac guru on this one.....

    I got a Blue and White G3 powered mac for the small price of 8 beers, so I figured why not upgrade it? as it stands it has a 300 Mhz G3 processor. I would love to get this thing to at least a fast G3 to play with. I hope to get a G4 (is it worth it?) ideally, but, I'm noticing the processor upgrade prices from the places I've seen are insane!!!

    Does anyone have a site recommendation for picking up upgrades for the mac relatively cheaply? I already have 768MB of ram, a Bigger Hard drive, and CD/DVD-RW upgrades on the way but I need a faster processor for what I want to do.
    http://eshop.macsales.com/ I've used them since 2002 and only had one problem with a ram stick but they sent a replacement. Check there, see if you like it...

  6. #6
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    509
    the prices look pretty good, so whats the main difference between the G3 and the G4?

    My main options would be.....

    G4 450-500 $129 OWC
    G4 500Mhz $159 Sonnet
    G4 700Mhz $199 Sonnet
    G3 1Ghz $219 Powerlogix

    any opinions between them?

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by Hcomplyr
    the prices look pretty good, so whats the main difference between the G3 and the G4?

    My main options would be.....

    G4 450-500 $129 OWC
    G4 500Mhz $159 Sonnet
    G4 700Mhz $199 Sonnet
    G3 1Ghz $219 Powerlogix

    any opinions between them?
    I've always like their prices and especially shipping prices too but in my opinion it would be better to go for a G4 because of the AltiVec core. The closest thing in PC terms would be the MMX thingy. AltiVec is a 128bit thing on the chip that allows more instructions to be processed. I noticed a difference betwen my PowerBook G3 with 400mhz and 192mb compared to my PowerBook G4 400mhz with 128mb of ram. I could play multiple videos at once with few hiccups compared to not be able to play more than threee with my G3. Some applications are written to take advantage of the altivec core and you will some speed improvements with those and some software requires G4's or higher. Sorry about the lack of structure of this post but I'm just trying to tell you everything I remember. If I was in your situation I would go for the slower G4 than a fast G3 but let's hear what other people have to say.

    You can also look at this, if your into reading about processors [yuck]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltiVec

  8. #8
    Maximum Bitrate
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    509
    yeah this "Altivec" sounds basically like SSE/SIMD

    so the G3 would be the Pentium 2
    and the G4 would be the Pentium 3

  9. #9
    Mac Car Moderator kandyman676's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Doshen
    Well, you can easily play with OS X on a G3 with alot of memory, but final cut may be a problem. I was able to get a free Mac Mini from one of the online sites. Would you be interested, it does require some effort on your part but it works.
    Just as a friendly reminder, we do not allow advertising of any free Mac Mini or Ipod deals here.

    My recommendation is to use ebay to surf around for Mac Parts. Sometimes you can get them for a steal, and other times not. Just have to look and wait around for a bit sometimes.
    "If it works this good why F with it?" -KMFDM "Intro"

    Strive for ethical wardriving: http://faq.wardrive.net/

    My CarCPUs: v1 - 2000 | v2 - 2004
    Mp3Car Meets: http://detrimental.org/eyecandy/MP3CarMeets

  10. #10
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Hcomplyr
    specifically to dabble in the dark art of mac, since I've been dealing with PC's for my entire career. I just want to learn the ins-and-outs and probably do some photoshop, and my brother will probably want to play with final cut
    drop me a line:

    AIM: grihm phiver
    MSN-M: [email protected]
    YIM: draggon_hedd

    im a bit of a mac guru, so to speak. i can help you out with anything mac really.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. LCD Backlight Upgrade
    By jcdillin in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 1221
    Last Post: 10-09-2005, 01:01 AM
  2. questions and more questions
    By cortinaking in forum Newbie
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 03:02 PM
  3. Box and In-Dash setup questions
    By Pale Rider in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 03:40 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 12:53 PM
  5. Can I upgrade XP home to prefoessional?
    By Skipjacks in forum Software & Software Development
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 09:06 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •