Been reading the Mac threads now for awhile and felt like it was time to join in. I have decided to go with the Mini Mac; mostly due to its size and nothing to do with the lack of a Front End. LOL The Porsche 944 is very limited on space but does offer a Double DIN. Heres a run down on what I have so far:
'87 Porsche 944
Mini Mac w/Bluetooth & AirPort built in
LilliPut 7" (Will fit nicely into the existing double din)
Radioshark (Powered by Mini)
Belkin USB2.0 6 Port Hub (Powered by Mini)
iMic (for mic in and voice controls)
Nothing is installed yet as I'm still putting it all together but I'll give you a list of my likes and don't likes so far. Any input is appreciated.
1. I love the Mini Mac - Fast, powerfull, just the right size. I'm very slow learning as this is my very first leap into the Mac world, but so far so good.
2. LilliPut - not so happy with this purchase as it seems to remain blurry no matter how I connect or configure it. I have tried playing with all possible resolutions and Lilliput menu settings; still blury. The touch works great. I plan on installing it with a swing so I can store the Mini behind it and will have access to the DVD Player.
3. Radioshark - wow this thing is totally cool. It was very easy to install and get running. Is powered by the Mini and I really hope thats not a problem.
4. iMic - again plug and play, works like a champ and I have played with creating keyboard commands that respond to voice to run iTunes. Works good, but limited amount of commands; trying AppleScripting for some more advanced features in the AM. Is is also powered by the Mini and it also concerns me some.
5. Belkin Hub - Very cool device, plug and play; was nothing to setup and fits perfectly under the Mini Mac. This is good because I plan on putting some foam pad under the hub to help absorbe some of the road shock, thus allowing the air to flow into the Mini with out having to sit on the foam. Powered by the Mini. It has the radioshark and iMic plugged into it. Firewire and USB's run from the hub to the Mini for connection. It also has a USB and Firewire on the front which will be great as I plan on having the Lilliput on a swing arm which would expose these connections for quick connecting.
6. P1900 - Let me just say its cool to look at. :lol: I have done nothing with this yet. I did order the special little cables for the power button though. Hope to get to it soon.
I really love iTunes. I have loaded over a couple thousand songs already and I love its features. I'm holding off on the GPS for the moment as more research is still needed. Once I get around to looking at Route 66; I guess I'll decide to buy it since is the only one out there for the Mac.
All that remains is a FRONT END, guess all of us MAC folks know that. (Newbies included) I've played with everything thats out there and I like CCar best so far, but I notice there has been little recent development. Still my favorite so far.
Just joining in on the chat.
PS The need to buy list:
Amp as the headunit has to go, hence the radioSHARK
Powermate Knob - this might be better than the voice commands