Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Wait?

  1. #1
    Variable Bitrate super-fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    256

    Wait?

    I was getting ready to install a mini in my car and then I started hearing all this stuff about this new mini coming out. You guys think I should wait for the new mini or go ahead with the install?

  2. #2
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Yes. Absolutely. Wait. Then wait for the next new Mini to come out. And then for the one after that.

    Any idea when this new Mini is supposed to come out? If it's only a couple of weeks, wait. Otherwise, every second that goes by is another second you don't have a Mini in your car.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  3. #3
    Maximum Bitrate pepsibobby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kaiserslautern Germany
    Posts
    648
    hmmm sarchasm? who knows

  4. #4
    Admin. Linux loser.
    Auto Apps:loading...
    Bugbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    7,359
    Blog Entries
    2
    Well, I wasn't really trying to be sarcastic. My opinion is that there is always a better model coming. You can wait around for a better one if you want but an even better one will be just around the corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruzer View Post
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

  5. #5
    Variable Bitrate super-fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    256
    I just figured with all this intel mac stuff coming out it should be right around the corner...no? I figured March sometime maybe.

  6. #6
    Low Bitrate hookid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    81
    i would go with getting it now first because you dont need more than 1.5ghz to run a in-car pc and also most likely software companies or people on the forum arent going to make their software intel only, so unless you REALLY want to have a ton of power in ur macmini, i would just get it now because it is said that it wont come out july 1st anyway which means you would be waiting at least 6 months or more

  7. #7
    CarFrontEnd Creator iamgnat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by hookid
    most likely software companies or people on the forum arent going to make their software intel only
    For the stuff we are doing (assuming the developer is using 10.4.4 and the latest xcode), it's a few changes to your compile settings to generate a Universal binary and I don't know if the AS guys even need that.

    As far as other companies, it depends what you need/want. If you want VPC for GPS/Nav, then you are SOL for awhile (wasn't it like a year that M$ drug their feet on the G5 version?), but most things will work (although slower) via Rosetta (drivers and anything that does low level work are the exceptions).

    I would agree with BugByte, but I would add that if you aren't ready to install it, wait until you are and see what is what then.

    -dave

  8. #8
    Low Bitrate
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    70
    i'd wait, but its totaly up to you, all the macs will be going intel in the next few months, and there are rumors that the mac mini will be going intel in april. so wait it out for sure.

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    40
    Yes wait for april when the new ones could possibly show up

    And (I'm a mac User since 86 and love them) then as usual Apple sucks at delivering and you have to wait another 6-8 weeks to get hold of one.

    So hmmm that means april + 6 weeks, that's right you'll be fine to get it for the holliday season when you'll have plenty of time to install it.

    I think now the problem is are you ready or not.

    If you've done the implementation of your screen and other stuff I'll say go for it.

    Otherwise start fabricating and maybe you'll finidh in time just to integrate the new one.

    But then who'says the new one is to be the same form factor
    Intel seems to heat more than the G4, and if the new ones integrate the iPod dock maybe you'll want to install it differently

    So bite the bullit and make up your options and as said Bugbyte, I once waited to renew when I was waiting back then for a color Mac, and I waited a long time.

    Now I don't care if a new one is along the corner
    The time I'm enjoying the current one, I'm using it and not waiting computerless and one important thing, my grandfather always said to me never buy revision 0, this is in effect what you would be buying with the new one.

    For me the decision is easy. But then it's me I'm not you

    Ca55e5a

  10. #10
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by super-fly
    I just figured with all this intel mac stuff coming out it should be right around the corner...no? I figured March sometime maybe.
    As far as I know (from this forum and others) Intel Mac Mini is coming out not before end of this year and not gonna be Core Duo as well. The rumorer is here since May 2005 (as far as I can remember) but still there was no announcement in the this year's MacExpo. But by the year 2007 - all the Mac will be running on Intel. I'd only wait if the new version was coming soon and with integrated TV tuner (as rumored, again). Cheers!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why you should only buy from the MP3CAR.COM store
    By mykolJay in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 06:24 PM
  2. Should I wait?
    By CavityCr33p in forum Centrafuse
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 09:12 PM
  3. DWW-7VGA or wait GA-700YY? help
    By live2themaxuk in forum LCD/Display
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 05:32 PM
  4. 3.5 to 4 week wait for an opus...
    By ryanreko in forum Power Supplies
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 02:36 PM
  5. VW Wait skin
    By Alric in forum MediaCar
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 11:32 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •