Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: iPod video in my car?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3

    Question iPod video in my car?

    Hi all... I'm the proud owner of a brandnew CitroŽn C3 which currently has a JVC KD-G311EX radio installed. This one also plays MP3 and WMA files. Now I would love to connect my iPod With Video to this system AND add a 7" or 8" screen to watch the videos from the iPod on.

    However, I do have some questions and worries...

    - I understand that I will only be able to view the videos on the screen, not the iPod menus. But what about the photos? And which brand or type of screen would you recommend?

    - With audio and video cables, one can easily connect the iPod to a regular TV. How will this work in the car? I also read about the XtremeMac Roadshow cables, which can be plugged into the 12-volt vehicle accessory outlet... If I don't mind recharching the iPod at home every night, would I need this special set? Or will the regular cables do?

    - What about the power for the screen? Can I just plug it into the 12-volt outlet?

    - And last but not least: the audio! Where do I go with the audio cables from the iPod? To my radio? How do I know whether my radio can handle this type of setup?

    I think that's it for now... I truly hope one or some of you can help me out. I have already learnt a lot by just reading these forums. Oh and just to let you know: I'm a newbie AND a girl, so go easy on me, ok? Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Raw Wave tj!2k4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,294
    being a girl does not excuse you from not searching.

    Xenarc/Gain and Lilliput are the most popular displays for CarPCs. They come with an cigarette lighter plug so they can be powered by the car's 12v. You'd need a screen with a composite-in.

    As far as getting the audio to your headunit, check the FAQ emporium. You'd need an option for some form of aux-in.

  3. #3
    CarFrontEnd Creator iamgnat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    867
    Quote Originally Posted by tj!2k4
    Xenarc/Gain and Lilliput are the most popular displays for CarPCs. They come with an cigarette lighter plug so they can be powered by the car's 12v. You'd need a screen with a composite-in.
    Actually, if all she wants it for is the photos and videos from her iPod, then she can cheap out and get a plain ntsc/pal screen and not worry about VGA. The only reason to go with VGA would be if she thinks she might do a full blown carputer in the future (and if it isn't going to be the near, <1yr, future i'd say still go the cheap route and hope there are more/better daylight readable solutions when she is ready to do it).

    -dave
    My pathetic worklog.
    CarFrontEnd (now it's own sub-forum!!!!)

  4. #4
    Nic
    Nic is offline
    FLAC Nic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,047
    Quote Originally Posted by chagnee
    Hi all... I'm the proud owner of a brandnew CitroŽn C3 which currently has a JVC KD-G311EX radio installed. This one also plays MP3 and WMA files. Now I would love to connect my iPod With Video to this system AND add a 7" or 8" screen to watch the videos from the iPod on.

    However, I do have some questions and worries...

    - I understand that I will only be able to view the videos on the screen, not the iPod menus. But what about the photos? And which brand or type of screen would you recommend?

    - With audio and video cables, one can easily connect the iPod to a regular TV. How will this work in the car? I also read about the XtremeMac Roadshow cables, which can be plugged into the 12-volt vehicle accessory outlet... If I don't mind recharching the iPod at home every night, would I need this special set? Or will the regular cables do?

    - What about the power for the screen? Can I just plug it into the 12-volt outlet?

    - And last but not least: the audio! Where do I go with the audio cables from the iPod? To my radio? How do I know whether my radio can handle this type of setup?

    I think that's it for now... I truly hope one or some of you can help me out. I have already learnt a lot by just reading these forums. Oh and just to let you know: I'm a newbie AND a girl, so go easy on me, ok? Thanks!!!
    1, 2 & 3. It will work the same as when you plug the ipod into a regular tv, you need to use a monitor specifically for your car (look on the mp3car store). You connect the ipod to the monitor the same as you would connect the ipod to a regular tv. As for power, car specific monitors will have an adaptor, you usally plug this into your cig lighter socket.

    4. The JVC stereo you have does not look like it has any external input, or cd changer port (double check the manual). This makes it very difficult to get the audio from the ipod to the headunit. Look at upgrading the headunit to one with aux in, otherwise you will have to use a fm transmitter to transmit the audio over fm frequencies (alternativley you can remove or bypass the JVC headunit alltogether and use an amplifier, I figure you probably dont want to go this extreme though)
    Signature: [==||========] 20% complete

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for your kind and helpful replies! I'm currently looking at some Lilliput screens. Before buying a new stereo, I think I am going to use a FM transmitter for a short while...

    Another option I've been thinking of would be to install my iBook G4 as a carputer. I just have to find out whether that would be possible in my C3. If not, the iPod with a nice screen and good audio will hopefully do.

    Would you recommend installing the iBook or selling the iBook to buy and install a lovely Mac mini?

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    182
    Iíd go for Mac Mini. People used to use their laptop (maybe still doing) in the past but I donít think itís very convenient or easy to use in-car. But if you go for Mac Mini, you should consider buying some other stuff too to make it work. You basically need a power supply; people normally use P1900 with CNX-P5V and MacPac (coming soon??) to save your original power cable. Next you need a self powered USB hub (*NOT* the USB powered), which doesnít do auto sensing. You also need to get some sort of external USB soundcard to get sound off your Mini. You probably donít need one with the new Intel Mini and if your stock HU got digital auxiliary in but I donít think you are that lucky

    Check out this article to start with.

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati OH
    Posts
    13
    if you would like to view your ipod menus on-screen, i saw this at best buy the other day. i have not purchased one, but i saw the demonstration there and it looked pretty cool. how easy it would be to get into a car, i have no idea, but since you are thinking of just going the ipod route, i figured this might be something to look into

    craig

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3
    iratusfx, at first sight i really liked the DLO HomeDock Deluxe. But apparently it only enables you to browse your music (and not your video) collection on screen. Too bad... Thanks for the link anyway!

    And thanks, Macusers, for the short but clear explanation. I will carefully read the article you mentioned and go from there. As for now I'm comparing all the different possibilities and prices.

  9. #9
    Constant Bitrate
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    182
    Changee,

    Yestedsay I went to the PCWorld and I found this one from Tomtom, can play iPod video as well. So, if you buy this "screen" for your iPod video, you get the GPS for free!!!

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUsers
    Changee,

    Yestedsay I went to the PCWorld and I found this one from Tomtom, can play iPod video as well. So, if you buy this "screen" for your iPod video, you get the GPS for free!!!
    $750US

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. iPod Head Unit Project Underway, Need Help Gathering Info!
    By binglax09 in forum Hardware Development
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2006, 09:24 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 08:58 PM
  3. Escalade Car Computer Audio Video project
    By accentsound in forum Fabrication
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 01:38 PM
  4. Just for laught: Computer and Car
    By MatrixPC in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 09:25 PM
  5. Real Time Car tracking now working!
    By Magpie in forum GPS
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 04:08 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •