Ok so I am thinking about taking the plunge
I've been thinking about doing a carputer for some time now and it seems that now is the time to start planning and maybe work will start by christmas (or at least parts will be arriving)
I recently converted to apple as my primary computer (MacBook Pro) before this I was thinking of building my own computer and installing it into the car. Now I am considering mounting a Mini in there and calling it a day.
But first I have a few questions.
1) Probably the most important, have the touchscreen drivers been updated to worth with the Intel chips?
2) GPS/Navigation, while I have never had it in my past cars (even if it was an option) I didn't have it, now if I am installing a computer I might want to include it in the build. So the question is are there any products out there for the apple that are any good at this, that are also Universal and running with the Intel?
3) I would be completely replacing the stock head until (and hope to not reinstall in under a seat.) So does anyone make a good FM radio receiver for the Apple, that is easy to use either in one of the front ends you guys have built or a pre-existing program that can also play music and CDs? I might go XM at some point, but for now I'll stick with FM.
4) I have steering wheel mounted controls and while I plan of having a touch screen. I was wondering if there was anyway to rig these buttons to give the apple command either through direct connection or the remote control? (there are 6 buttons there now, vol up vol down channel up channel down change source and favorites/change are what they do now)
5) How hard would it be to remove the slot load drive and relocate it to outside the case? (This would go into the dash for CDs) or would it be a better idea just to grab an external drive for this?