Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What is the best handheld PDA to buy?

  1. #1
    Constant Bitrate vintageb3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    114

    What is the best handheld PDA to buy for GPS?

    OK…so I know this isn’t really the place to be talking about handheld PDA’s…but:

    There are so many different choices…its so bloody confusing!

    My Dad is buying a new car….and I’ve talked him out buying the Sat Nav that comes wit the car…just too expensive…

    I was thinking of buying a system that he and I could both use…

    If I mention putting a PC in his new car…he would go crazy…not even going to go there…

    I was going to be looking for something like this in the future…so that if I’m walking in a city I don’t know…I can get from A-B…and also work out if I can walk from A-B..or I should be thinking about taking a cab or train

    I would want to be able to load maps for most any country in the world…but mostly Europe, Scandinavia, USA, Japan. The option for Australia and South America would be handy…but I’m not there all that often.

    I already have Navigator 4 from Infomap for Pocket PC for all of Europe….but don’t know if a Pocket PC is the thing to get.

    I have a SE P900…but don’t really want to be using my phone for GPS…

    I suppose that Destinator3 would be the one to go for with the Pocket PC…cause I could simply buy the US maps?...and use Navigator 4 for Europe.

    I thought I would ask here…since the guys here on this forum are so scattered across the globe…and also may already have a working solution.

    So…is it a Pocket PC…or what do you suggest?

    Thanks in advance…and sorry for being off topic

    vintageb3
    M10000 mainboard,256 RAM, 80 Gig 3.5" drive, PWS-120-M, ITPS, Lilliput 7" touchscreen, XP Pro SP2, Frodoplayer, Map Monkey, InfoMap Navigator 4, WIFI

    Current: Bluetooth. Trying to get Phonecontrol to work with SE T610.

  2. #2
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    What works best for me is a Sony Clie NX80V. Any of the newer ones will work. NXSeries or TH55. I use a program called Mapopolis. It's very weel done. I checked their website, and they have maps for Scotland. (http://www.mapopolis.com/mapstore.js...6234929&p=&q=2)

    All you have to do is find a Palm OS 5 handheld (By Sony) on ebay or the like, and then buy a GPS receiver that works for the PDA. If you look at the site on my signature, you'll see what I use. My GPS receiver also charges my PDA at the same time.

    Unfortunately, Sony has stopped making handhelds for a short while, so it is nearly impossible to find them anywhere else but on ebay. I actually have an NX60 Clie that I only used for about 3 months before I was given my NX80V. It works perfectly. I would not mind selling it to you, if you want. PM me for more info.

    For GPS receivers, look for the GM-210 receiver (http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/28...m210clien.html) I'm sure you can find it elsewhere since this place seems to be out of stock.

    Good luck,

    Rafster

  3. #3
    Low Bitrate microbionic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    medina,ohio
    Posts
    94
    i have a hp 2215, pocket pc , i have every episode of aqua teen hunger force on my 1 gig card and watch when i am in class .. i have a wifi card , so i can surf the web, control my desktop pc using a virtual server. and its my portable mp3 player,
    CarPuter ProgressO meterO
    [+++++++++] 100%, 1Ghz Epia M,opus 90w, Earthmate GPS, 7 inch lilliput molded into dash, anything i forget?
    visit me on the web at
    http://gozips.uakron.edu/~cmk23/

  4. #4
    FreeDrive Creator CdRsKuLL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    3,508
    ok.. heres something you will need to do tomorrow. as the offer ends then

    get your arse to www.dell.co.uk and check out the x50v PDA.. its at a knock down price of £288.. + you get a free gift (off 4).. I just sold my free gift for £80 on ebay, so it only cost me £208.00 all in.. Bargin.. so whats the spec I hear u .. so I have done the below list from memory.. so dont trust me, go look yourself !

    627mhz CPU
    128MB Memory
    SD Slot
    CF Slot.. yes its got both
    Docking station
    WM2003
    o.. yeah, did I say its got a VGA screen, thats 480x640 screen

    awesome.. all this for 208 quid.. What a bargin.. GO GET ONE

    CdR

  5. #5
    The Lavender Tie Just
    Made It Obvious
    Rafster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by CdRsKuLL
    ok.. heres something you will need to do tomorrow. as the offer ends then

    get your arse to www.dell.co.uk and check out the x50v PDA.. its at a knock down price of £288.. + you get a free gift (off 4).. I just sold my free gift for £80 on ebay, so it only cost me £208.00 all in.. Bargin.. so whats the spec I hear u .. so I have done the below list from memory.. so dont trust me, go look yourself !

    627mhz CPU
    128MB Memory
    SD Slot
    CF Slot.. yes its got both
    Docking station
    WM2003
    o.. yeah, did I say its got a VGA screen, thats 480x640 screen

    awesome.. all this for 208 quid.. What a bargin.. GO GET ONE

    CdR
    And also from what I understand, It has an optional VGA connector/dongle so that you could connect it to a VGA screen and show anything that is one your PDA screen (Including GPS!!!!!)

    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...=&refurbished=

    This is sweet!

    GOOD FIND!

    Peace,

    Rafster

  6. #6
    Constant Bitrate vintageb3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by CdRsKuLL
    ok.. heres something you will need to do tomorrow. as the offer ends then

    get your arse to www.dell.co.uk and check out the x50v PDA.. its at a knock down price of £288.. + you get a free gift (off 4).. I just sold my free gift for £80 on ebay, so it only cost me £208.00 all in.. Bargin.. so whats the spec I hear u .. so I have done the below list from memory.. so dont trust me, go look yourself !

    627mhz CPU
    128MB Memory
    SD Slot
    CF Slot.. yes its got both
    Docking station
    WM2003
    o.. yeah, did I say its got a VGA screen, thats 480x640 screen

    awesome.. all this for 208 quid.. What a bargin.. GO GET ONE

    CdR
    CdR...thats so much for looking at this for me...and your reply...

    I will call them tomorrow.....

    Looks like a good deal....but I see they do a wired GPS with Tom Tom maps...but I would rather have a bluetooth GPS I think...

    My folks have planed a wee trip to Ireland...so it would be nice to get it for then...hope there are maps for Eire...

    vintageb3
    M10000 mainboard,256 RAM, 80 Gig 3.5" drive, PWS-120-M, ITPS, Lilliput 7" touchscreen, XP Pro SP2, Frodoplayer, Map Monkey, InfoMap Navigator 4, WIFI

    Current: Bluetooth. Trying to get Phonecontrol to work with SE T610.

  7. #7
    Constant Bitrate vintageb3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by microbionic
    i have a hp 2215, pocket pc , i have every episode of aqua teen hunger force on my 1 gig card and watch when i am in class .. i have a wifi card , so i can surf the web, control my desktop pc using a virtual server. and its my portable mp3 player,
    WIFI!!!.....I didn't think about that!...that would be cool!....

    I need to get into that virtual sever stuff...control the VanPc from the house!

    vintageb3
    M10000 mainboard,256 RAM, 80 Gig 3.5" drive, PWS-120-M, ITPS, Lilliput 7" touchscreen, XP Pro SP2, Frodoplayer, Map Monkey, InfoMap Navigator 4, WIFI

    Current: Bluetooth. Trying to get Phonecontrol to work with SE T610.

  8. #8
    Constant Bitrate vintageb3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by rafaelsherman
    What works best for me is a Sony Clie NX80V. Any of the newer ones will work. NXSeries or TH55. I use a program called Mapopolis. It's very weel done. I checked their website, and they have maps for Scotland. (http://www.mapopolis.com/mapstore.js...6234929&p=&q=2)

    All you have to do is find a Palm OS 5 handheld (By Sony) on ebay or the like, and then buy a GPS receiver that works for the PDA. If you look at the site on my signature, you'll see what I use. My GPS receiver also charges my PDA at the same time.

    Unfortunately, Sony has stopped making handhelds for a short while, so it is nearly impossible to find them anywhere else but on ebay. I actually have an NX60 Clie that I only used for about 3 months before I was given my NX80V. It works perfectly. I would not mind selling it to you, if you want. PM me for more info.

    For GPS receivers, look for the GM-210 receiver (http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/28...m210clien.html) I'm sure you can find it elsewhere since this place seems to be out of stock.

    Good luck,

    Rafster
    Hi Rafster

    Thanks for the offer.....but I think the Dell is too much of a bargain to miss....

    I'm sure the Sony is way kewl though!

    Thanks for the info!

    vintageb3
    M10000 mainboard,256 RAM, 80 Gig 3.5" drive, PWS-120-M, ITPS, Lilliput 7" touchscreen, XP Pro SP2, Frodoplayer, Map Monkey, InfoMap Navigator 4, WIFI

    Current: Bluetooth. Trying to get Phonecontrol to work with SE T610.

  9. #9
    Maximum Bitrate Don 944 LA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Diego / Los Angeles
    Posts
    679
    Pocket PC

Similar Threads

  1. PDA with HD
    By GingerPrince in forum General Hardware Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 08:48 PM
  2. WOL and Remote Control by PDA
    By NOS TANG in forum Wireless Communications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 03:44 PM
  3. 1:1 Hirose Cable Group Buy!
    By claylong in forum Classified Archive
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-31-2002, 02:55 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •