Map Monkey & Windows Vista - Working.
How to Fix - Font Tahoma not found, and Vista!
As previous post in Bugs, I though I would start a new thread for ease of searching Vista Solution. :)
I see a lot of peeps had this issue being a tech head I couldnt let it beat me on all my development PCs which include Visual studio and XP the program runs fine so I never needed a solution, then I brought a Vista laptop to trip to OZ and installed Mapmonkey as a back up to my GPS and bang!!! "Font Not Found!" - I can live with the error box, but none of the setting windows opened without crashing the program.... now I have no idea of the internals of font registering for the windows system but I tried every/all the steps of removing the font reinstalling the font... intalling an old font.. vista one is twice as large as my xp ones 600k instread of 300k... blah blah... and the same errors.
It annoyed me so much it was time for a little reverse engineering...
How to Fix Missing Font Error.
1) If you haven't already edit with notepad the 'c:\DestinatorApps\Destinator\Common\Interface\Vis ual\All\Destinator.inf'
there may be 2 referances to "Tahoma" in there do a find and replace "Tahoma" for "Arial" and save it, this will remove 2 font errors.
2) the other reference to "Tahoma" as already stated is in the 'DestDLL.dll' so this is a little more tricky to change this one... make a back up of this before you start playing.
Using a Hex Editor open the 'DestDLL.dll'
Goto Address 000092A26 which should read 'PUSH 01012A608' or in Hex '6808A61210' <- Tahoma Font call
Change the Hex to '68584F1210' <- which will call for the 'Arial' font instead.
Save the file and your done.
No more Font errors, also you may have to check your skin isnt calling the font but I dont change those.
This allows Map Monkey and Destinator 3 SDK to work fine on VISTA!!!! hurray! Job done.
I know this sounds a little complicated but its pretty straight forward as long as you know how to use a hex editor, alternitvely I could create a patch to do the work for you and this would NOT contain any copyright material, admins just let me know.
Hope this helps.
Windows Vista Font Problems
I am having the same problem with Map Monkey and Vista. On my desktop PC (running Vista Business), I ran the font patch and changed the 'inf' file to Arial and all is fine. On my laptop however, I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and made the same changes but I am getting the message, 'Application Font Arial not found..', 'Maneuver Windows Font Arial not found..', 'Font Arial not found..'
Why would it work on one machine but not the other. I checked the Font folder to see if 'Arial' was present and it was, I have 853 items on my Font Folder.